Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: have you used Elmer's washable school glue with Soft and Bright battting?

Blog Entries

have you used Elmer's washable school glue with Soft and Bright battting?

This has probably been addressed many times but I couldn't find it in "search. I want to free motion ( definitely not my strong suit) a child's quilt and would rather not use pins or spray.

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t=basting+glue

here's one link to a tutorial---if you go to the tutorials page & put 'basting with glue' in the search box a whole bunch of tutorials from people who use glue will come up-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I have used the washable glue on polyester batting and it worked fine not the batting you mentioned but Morning Glory and a premium poly batting from Connecting Threads. I don't baste with boards but also have a tutorial here for using Elmer's Washable School Glue.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I've used glue with Hobbs PolyDown and have no issues....it holds till I wash it out!

Power Poster
    I tried it with a Walmart polyester batt and it did need to dry overnight. The glue held fine, I stitched through it fine except a couple of thick spots did cause the needle to shift a bit. The quilt did need to be washed afterwards as it felt like cornflakes in the sandwich.
    A word of caution.....try the glue on any solid fabrics scraps you have in the quilt first to see if the glue leaves marks. I did a sample on my solid and it did leave marks even after I washed the sample in the sink. If you have a patterned fabric it would not be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I tried it with a Walmart polyester batt and it did need to dry overnight. The glue held fine, I stitched through it fine except a couple of thick spots did cause the needle to shift a bit. The quilt did need to be washed afterwards as it felt like cornflakes in the sandwich.
    A word of caution.....try the glue on any solid fabrics scraps you have in the quilt first to see if the glue leaves marks. I did a sample on my solid and it did leave marks even after I washed the sample in the sink. If you have a patterned fabric it would not be noticeable.
    Really??? I haven't had this happen yet but I'm making a quilt right now with quite
    a bit of solid. I hope the glue doesn't leave any mark. Did you set the glue with
    the iron? What kind of batting did you use? I better start praying.

Power Poster
    I wanted to use a solid chambray coloured fabric for my quilt back. I posted a picture of the marks left on my sample on another thread a while back. ( faint but noticeable) If it was solid colours in the piecing I don't think you would be able to notice it but with the large piece it would bother me. I did use the iron on my sample because I wanted to dry it so I could wash it. By the way, a hot iron kind of melts polyester batt. ​Luckily it was just my sample! Title was
    Polyester Glue Experiment.
    Last edited by Tartan; 05-15-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Tartan, could it be the melted polyester that left those marks?
    Reminds me how I was blaming "the fake glue" for some ugly spots.
    It turned out that the glue was just fine. It was the batting.
    I learned not to use W&N with light fabrics...even if it's printed.
    All those impurities show their ugly head. LOL