Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
have you used Elmer's washable school glue with Soft and Bright battting? >

have you used Elmer's washable school glue with Soft and Bright battting?

have you used Elmer's washable school glue with Soft and Bright battting?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Default have you used Elmer's washable school glue with Soft and Bright battting?

This has probably been addressed many times but I couldn't find it in "search. I want to free motion ( definitely not my strong suit) a child's quilt and would rather not use pins or spray.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t=basting+glue

here's one link to a tutorial---if you go to the tutorials page & put 'basting with glue' in the search box a whole bunch of tutorials from people who use glue will come up-
Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM

I have used the washable glue on polyester batting and it worked fine not the batting you mentioned but Morning Glory and a premium poly batting from Connecting Threads. I don't baste with boards but also have a tutorial here for using Elmer's Washable School Glue.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM

I've used glue with Hobbs PolyDown and have no issues....it holds till I wash it out!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I tried it with a Walmart polyester batt and it did need to dry overnight. The glue held fine, I stitched through it fine except a couple of thick spots did cause the needle to shift a bit. The quilt did need to be washed afterwards as it felt like cornflakes in the sandwich.
A word of caution.....try the glue on any solid fabrics scraps you have in the quilt first to see if the glue leaves marks. I did a sample on my solid and it did leave marks even after I washed the sample in the sink. If you have a patterned fabric it would not be noticeable.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I tried it with a Walmart polyester batt and it did need to dry overnight. The glue held fine, I stitched through it fine except a couple of thick spots did cause the needle to shift a bit. The quilt did need to be washed afterwards as it felt like cornflakes in the sandwich.
A word of caution.....try the glue on any solid fabrics scraps you have in the quilt first to see if the glue leaves marks. I did a sample on my solid and it did leave marks even after I washed the sample in the sink. If you have a patterned fabric it would not be noticeable.
Really??? I haven't had this happen yet but I'm making a quilt right now with quite
a bit of solid. I hope the glue doesn't leave any mark. Did you set the glue with
the iron? What kind of batting did you use? I better start praying.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I wanted to use a solid chambray coloured fabric for my quilt back. I posted a picture of the marks left on my sample on another thread a while back. ( faint but noticeable) If it was solid colours in the piecing I don't think you would be able to notice it but with the large piece it would bother me. I did use the iron on my sample because I wanted to dry it so I could wash it. By the way, a hot iron kind of melts polyester batt. ​Luckily it was just my sample! Title was
Polyester Glue Experiment.

Last edited by Tartan; 05-15-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Tartan, could it be the melted polyester that left those marks?
Reminds me how I was blaming "the fake glue" for some ugly spots.
It turned out that the glue was just fine. It was the batting.
I learned not to use W&N with light fabrics...even if it's printed.
All those impurities show their ugly head. LOL