Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Having too much fun and will have to give them up.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

Having too much fun and will have to give them up.

I am having way too much fun with charity quilts. The fun backing, colorful book fabric panels stitched as if a nine patch. Have to give them up. What fun children quilts!

Anyone else fall in love and have sepparation anxiety! Ha ha
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

No separation anxiety but I did kind of feel attached to the ones we gave to grandkids for birthday. Guess I really get into finding just the right fabric/pattern combo for someone. Now what they think is another horse of a different color.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    I am having way too much fun with charity quilts. The fun backing, colorful book fabric panels stitched as if a nine patch. Have to give them up. What fun children quilts!

Yes, at times I've really loved certain charity quilts I've given. But, I sigh, and then think of how much someone else will certainly like them and be brightened because of them. That helps!

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Yes, at times I've really loved certain charity quilts I've given. But, I sigh, and then think of how much someone else will certainly like them and be brightened because of them. That helps!
    I sometimes "fall" for one & it't hard to say goodbye (I'm thinking of a little redwork one I made for Project Linus a couple of years ago), but I know some little child will get comfort from them & that helps. Plus... there's so many more to make... all that darling fabric! Those cute patterns!

The attached quilt may not be much to look at, but it had sentimental value to me (it was made from fabric from my deceased BFF's stash). I donated to to a girl whose husband was deployed & wouldn't be home when her baby boy was born. She loved it so it was worth it, but...

Name:  karen's kitties.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  38.7 KB
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post

The attached quilt may not be much to look at, but it had sentimental value to me (it was made from fabric from my deceased BFF's stash). I donated to to a girl whose husband was deployed & wouldn't be home when her baby boy was born. She loved it so it was worth it, but...
    Name:  karen's kitties.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  38.7 KB
    My son is armed forces and their sepparation is so major compaired than ours. What a gift!
    Ell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    The thought of a little scared or sick one is what keeps me going with these little darlings! You are so right!
    Ell

I can tell you how much they are appreciated. I have a 17 year old extended family niece who recently passed from leukemia. So sad.
    Her quilt went on her casket. It was given to her at Johns Hopkins Childrens Center and we thank whoever made the beautiful quilt.
    So, keep sewing girls.

I love the quilts I make for Quilts for Kids. I think that it is because they are bright and colorful. But knowing that they will be used to brighten a sick childs day makes the giving of them easier.
    Miz Kyp aka Margie

Almost every quilt I make to give away, I want to duplicate to keep one for me.

Blog Entries
    I make lots of charity quilts too, and I have no problem giving them away. I know those sick kids need them way more than I do. Last year for Christmas I donated 13 quilts and 40 pillowcases to various charities in the name of my family members, instead of giving them a gift. My little 7 year old DGD was very touched and called me when she got the gift card I sent about the quilt. She told me about how her school was donating books they collected from home to send to schools that didn't have a library. I only wish her mother had been as touched. I will probably do the same this year.

I do alost exclusively charity quilts. and yes, sometimes I hate to give them up, and then remind myself, I can make another just like it for me, but have only done that once
    Last edited by Lilrain; 07-21-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: not completed the thought

My granddaughter lost a baby boy and she buried his kitty quilt with him. She asked if it would be all right. Who was I to argue about that. If it gave her comfort it was quite okay with me. She still talks about him and his kitty quilt.

Blog Entries
    I love making charity quilts for Veterans and Babies. No, don't bother me to give them up. Pray over them while sewing and they are all marked with a bible verse and hopefully it will touch someone's heart. Love making them.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Love your avatar chairjogger. Thank u for your charity work too.
    Linda

Blog Entries

Everytime one leaves my house. But, then I think of the look in someones eyes when they receive one of them.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    I have separation anxiety with every quilt I make. Even several charity quilts I made out of fabric I was given that I didn't even like. I made my parents a quilt for Christmas 3 years ago. I had a really hard time parting with it. Up until I walked in the front door of their house with it I kept trying to talk myself out of giving it to them. I wanted it so bad. My family teases me about it now. They all joke that my parents have in their will that I get it back.

I think a gift from the heart gives more right from the start. When making quilts for our wounded warriors, our church group made quilts that would travel with them from the field hospital to their final destination. A piece of home helps the sick heal. With each quilt prayers were said as it was being made and we continue to pray for the warriors safety. The warrior then knew that people back home were thinking about them and praying for them. I would get goosebumps as we boxed them up for shipment. We have even started donating to the soldiers who have returned home safely to thank them for a job well done.

For your darling granddaughter to feel compassion for those less fortunate that she is wonderful for a young person. She has some of you in her for sure! I'm sure you will inspire her to keep her service going.

I don't usually have "separation anxiety" where the charity quilts are concerned. If it turns out really nice I may make another very similar tho.

I love making them and I never really give them up - I photograph all of them and they hang in my PhotoShop "gallery".
    Pat

I have a hard time giving up the Quilts for Kids quilts I do. I hope that means that the person who gets them love them as much as I do!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Awe, they are hard to part with sometimes, but at least you have a pic to show off, and know that they really enjoy and appreciate them.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    I love making them and I never really give them up - I photograph all of them and they hang in my PhotoShop "gallery".
    I take a photo of each one also......some were really difficult to let go, especially one that my DGD in-law really loved and the chairwoman of our guild charity really hated (she thought it was too modern, black and white prints, with a chartreuse and yellow exotic orchid in one of the prints) but it was for an older teenage girls home and I am sure it is loved.

Yes I also become very attached to my quilts, especially ones I have worked hard on to find the perfect fabric and the perfect pattern...and then was so pleased with the result, especially when all my points met and seams were straight. My grandkids no longer appreciate them, so I am moving onto charities.....and feel better about that concept. All I want to do is bring a smile to a face

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    I take a photo of each one also......some were really difficult to let go, especially one that my DGD in-law really loved and the chairwoman of our guild charity really hated (she thought it was too modern, black and white prints, with a chartreuse and yellow exotic orchid in one of the prints) but it was for an older teenage girls home and I am sure it is loved.
    I take a photo of every project also,,,,at the end of the year it is fun to look back

Yes.
    Just this morning I was picking some to give to our church for their clothes pantry. I had a hard time deciding which I could part with. Funny isn't it as I make them to give away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast