Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello. Great Board >

Hello. Great Board

Hello. Great Board

Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM

Hi I am also new to quilting and applique. Great questions and answers. My question is what is a pressing applique cloth and how do you get you pattern centered correctly? I just tried to applique a Christmas ornament wall hanging from Quilting Magazine and I didn't know how to place my applique pieces correctly by using the pattern for the layout. Do you copy or trace the pattern layout onto your fabric? :oops: Does anyone understand what I am trying to say?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Hi Sondra,
No I don't understand what your saying about applying your applique, I think I understand what your saying about an applique pressing cloth, It's a teflon sheet, you can get it at Joanns, It's not like the teflon you mite be envisioning, in reference to a teflon skillet, It's a clear frosted sheet, and it comes in quiet handy. There are a lot of good quilters on this board and you'll get answers to about all your questions. Welcome and enjoy,
Oh yes just an FYI my name is Becky, I live in GA, I've been quilting for 15 yrs, I love quilting.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:22 PM

I think I get what you're asking! When I transfer a pattern, I tape the paper pattern to a light box or a bright window. Then tape or place the background fabric over the pattern and lightly glue-stick the applique in place. Or do a tracing, either way. I haven't tried the Teflon sheet yet, tho I have one. Try this website for more info on that technique:
www.valeriehearder.com/teflonprint.htm
Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the info on that site,One I'll add to my list.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:47 PM

Thanks Becky and Leslee you both were a big help. Yes, I guess you got what I meant as to how to place the applique pieces correctly on the fabic to which the applique is being placed. I know a light box is the best, but someone said to use a pressing cloth but isn't it mainly used to keep the sticky stuff from your ironing board? I've also been told freezer paper works for this sticky thing also. According to this aritcle by using the pressing sheet you can position your layout of the drawing and if you make a mistake, it will be easy to peel off and repositionf--you can then pry up the appliques pieces without damage--all in one piece. Sounded confusing. I think the light box and then tracing the pattern on the background fabric would be the best answer. Wow! First board I have been involved in that actually answers your questions. So often in the past, it is only a small group who know each other and use the board to talk about their family problems instead of the actual use of the board. Thanks Gals!. P.S. I am from brrrrrr Wisconsin--high of 15 degrees yesterday. :D
Old 12-09-2006, 03:01 PM

p.s. the website was very informative--thanks. :)
Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 PM

Sondra

Theres a great bunch of quilters out there, that really want to help, And as I said before they are pretty quick with there answers and help. Brrrrr, I'm glad I'm not there, Altho our peachy state got to 12 this AM. But also keep in mind as we get to know each other we will share burdens and family pbls, because we build a kinship and friendship, some are interested and others aren't, but we're quilters and hearts are stitched together, and speakin for myself I'm always available to listen and suggest and alway offer a prayer.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 PM

I'll second that, Becky! Couldn't have put it better myself. I'm in California....you're in Georgia. And poor Sondra! Freezing in Wisconsin! Sondra, I hope you can make time to log on to the chat room tomorrow at 3 EST...we need to send you some instant warm thoughts. Come to think of it, our FM ("Fearless Moderator") Boo must be pretty chilly in Michigan...hope she's staying warm, too.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Boo

Yep that's me the FM Boo LOLOLOL! Just one more tip regarding applique placement. When learning hand applique from a friend, she showed me how to use those plastic transperency sheets to trace the placement. Then I can slide the piece I am doing next under the outline. I sometimes use a board that I can tape the top of transperancy to complete this process. I then can slide the entire block under for placement of next piece. You can reuse these by wiping down with alcohol wipes. Often I just save them with the pattern to be used again. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Suz

Hi! Me Again. Karen Kay Buckley showed us in our applique courses to use "doctor's examining paper" to draw applique placements and work out designs. We actually baste the paper to the top edge of our project and drop it down to place the pieces. -- You can buy a roll from a paper supplier or hospital supplier. Should cost about $3 and will last forever. It is also very strong.
Suzanne