Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters >

HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters

HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters

Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Default HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters

Here is my problem. I'm at the bottom of my quilt on my long arm and discovered that I made my backing to short. Have you ever just unpinned the bottom and stitched on another piece to make the backing the correct size with your long arm?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM

I haven't, but I sure would if I did it and I don't know how you get it on with the longarm.LOL
Old 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM

I have done that and unpinned the back, took my featherweight and sewed the extra piece onto the short back. It was a bit of a job but doable. Added a longer piece than needed, repinned to leder and finished the quilting. When done didn't even notice that the first piece was short. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Been there, done that! More than once.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Not yet but I've wondered the same. Could you actually get a completely straight seam, sewing the 2 pieces together with your longarm? And how to keep them taught? Pin both to the leader and stitch right next to it, maybe?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Just curious ... was the backing indeed too short or was the top mis-matched to the back when loaded on the frame?

I ask because I did this with my first quilt on the long arm. I pieced the back with a 4" "frame" around a center fabric. I remembered to mark the center of the backing at the width side, but not the length side. I discovered this after I loaded the backing (I have zippered leaders), while I was trying to match the position of the top. I didn't want to take the backing off the frame (although with zippers it would have been easy/quick enough - chalk it up to experience) so I tried my best to figure out where the center was. I missed by a few inches. I didn't run out of backing ... but the backing is missing a "frame" at the bottom of the quilt (on the back - so I'm not gonna worry myself!!).
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Oh I'm so glad that I'm not alone on this. No I really did cut the backing to short and want to know by how much lol 1" 1/2. Yep that's it....grrrrrrrrrrrr. I had bought the wide backing 110 wide so knew darn well it was going to be plenty wide lol...and I also bought an extra meter of it. So when I was cutting my backing off my 4 meter piece I must not have measured correctly or I did but didn't leave enough for squaring...either way it was short . So I cut a 5" wide piece now and pinned it onto my backing and my honey is going to hold it taunt while I sew a 1/2" seam. I also have it held on each end with my side clamps. Also have a clamp on my wheels so they are locked. Hold my breath and hope this works. Wish me luck. I will be back with an update.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:03 PM

I'm afraid that I had to do that once - it wasn't too bad really. I took it off, added the fabric and put it back - no problem other than just being aggravated with myself!!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM

Been there, done that, more than once!!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

i did that once, but the back was the right size. i was new and somehow rolled the backing more than the front. i sewed a piece on. when done, it was real clear that the back was 'looser' than the front. luckily, the quilt was not critical.