Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Bobbin rattling/falling out (and more!), Juki TL2000 >

Help! Bobbin rattling/falling out (and more!), Juki TL2000

Help! Bobbin rattling/falling out (and more!), Juki TL2000

Old 01-01-2020, 05:01 PM

Unhappy Help! Bobbin rattling/falling out (and more!), Juki TL2000

Hello! I've been sewing quite a lot this week trying to finish a quilt for my new nephew. I have changed *nothing* in the past week- did not change a bobbin or rethread the machine once. Mid-sewing two blocks together, the stitches froze/stopped advancing. I had to cut the thread, and I have not been able to get the machine to work again! I have re-threaded the whole machine a dozen times, changed out the bobbin with a freshly wound one, and what happens are the following three options:

Option one (by far the most common thing that is happening):
- weird rattling sound that seems like the bobbin is falling out, followed by a sharp clunking noise and the top thread immediately breaking

Option two:
- literally no stitches occurring even though the feeders push the fabric through

Option three:
- if stitches occur, the bottom is a hot mess

It also seems like sometimes the bobbin is feeding multiple threads rather than just one, if that makes sense. When I cut the thread, there will be six or seven in a big clump.

I've got the tension currently set where it is a little below 2 when the presser is down and a little above 2 when it's up.

I've only had this machine for a month (early Xmas present to myself) so I'm not super familiar with it. Any advice appreciated!!!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:49 PM

pull out that manual and read where it shows how to check for threads and lint in the bobbin area. Also check that you are putting bobbin in correctly so thread coming off in right direction--I know you were doing fine before, but sometimes our brains fool us! Now, rethread the top thread, making sure that you have the presser foot up while doing it so the thread "sits" in the tension discs. also make sure that you have the needle in correctly--sometimes when we don't we'll get the problems you describe. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Also sounds to me like you have (probably) a small piece of thread stuck in your bobbin case. If need be, get a flashlight and a magnifying lens. Pull out your bobbin and the bobbin case. The piece of thread/lint is probably under/behind the bobbin case.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 AM

Take the needle plate off and clean any thread caught in the thread cutter.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:13 AM

Both of these are the best choices to start with. Depending on your machine it may also need a drop of oil in the upper arm and the bobbin area. Follow your manual for instructions on oiling your machine.
If these simple things do not work it may be time to take it into the shop. When simple things fail unless you are well verse in repairs I would not risk harming it.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:50 AM

Thank you everyone! I followed all of the advice, took everything off, cleaned, checked to make sure the needle wasn't bent, re-wound a new bobbin, re-threaded the machine. Not exactly sure *which* step worked, but it's now running smoothly again. Thanks for reminding me that the best thing is to be patient and thorough.