Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help with fusible applique

help with fusible applique

I'm trying my first project with fusible applique [I usually do hand turned applique] and I can't seem to get the fusible pellon to work.
    I followed the instructions that came with it , but, I just can't get it to stick to the fabric. I press and press
    but it takes forever to get it to stick, and then very little.
    The couple of times I managed, half of the glue pulled off with the paper. The little bit that had some glue
    seemed to press on the background fabric ok, but then after cooling off, the applique came loose and the edges of the fabric frayed when I tried to blanket stitch it down. I'm using the cotton setting on the iron.
    Thanks for any help..

dem ? you are sure you have double side fusible? sorry just had to ask. I'm forever picking up the worng stuff. Sorry I'm no help me and fusible are not on the best of terms. good luck to you.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Blog Entries
    Most fabrics have quite a bit of sizing on them making it very hard to get fusible to stick. I prefer Steam A Seam and the package says to prewash and not use fabric softener. I admit I have never prewashed and had no problem but felt lucky. Steam ASeam is presently out of production but should appear soon on the shelves. I have found using other brands that they all have their own pros and vons. If I am going to either hand or machine sitch I always use the lite version. If no stitching, just sticking downn, then I use Ultra. Banck to your problem - the sizing is probably the culprit and the paper not releasing probably didnt get the iron hot enough or hold it down long enough. What brand fusible are you using?

I've not used Pellon, have used Steam-A-Seam Lite. I have had the same problem though if I used a lot of starch on my piece. I understand it can happen as well if you don't pre-wash (from the sizing and other chemicals).

So ... pre-wash and no starch.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Yes, it is double side fusible. no offense taken..
    I didn't mention that I"m using unwashed cotton fabric.

Are you using steam to help set the fusible pellon?
    Press. Not moving the iron around?
    After that... I don't know.
    Hope you get it to work.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Did you pre-wash and use a fabric softener? I had the same problem from not pre-washing then pre-washed and used a fabric softener. Now I pre-wash with a little vinegar to help get any sizing out and DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER of any kind. Not even the dryer sheets. If you have to wash the appliques use the lingerie bags, that way they'll be contained.

Read the instructions for the Pellon product you're using (I'm assuming it's 805, but I could be wrong). It requires prewashing the fabric to remove all the chemicals added during manufacturing and finishing and not using anything in the dryer. Also make sure you're using a hot, dry iron for the recommended length of time.

The paper is sticking because you aren't waiting long enough after ironing to remove it. The glue has to completely cool and the longer you wait the easier the paper comes off, even on tiny appliqué pieces. I wait an hour at least, and several days if I have the time. I use the stuff by the bolt.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 06-29-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I do alot of fusible applique, so much that I buy steam a seam Lt. on a roll in the box, like they do in quilt shops. I love it and have never ever had a problem, and I never pre-wash my fabrics. I use the buton hole stitch also. Love the look!

I used to teach craft classes where we fused unwashed fabric cut-outs to sweatshirts. (I'm sure you remember those....embellished with lots of paint!!) The most common reason that the applique wouldn't stick to the shirt, was that it was overheated when the fusible was first applied. Check your instructions for the timing on the application of the fusible to the applique. Maybe that will help.
    psumom

I also do a lot of fusible appliqué and never pre-wash fabric. This is what I use - I prefer it to Steam a Seam lite. I'm not sure if you get this in the US or not. When fusing I press the iron to a three-count - one - two - three and off! You'll know if you've left the iron on too long as the piece goes so stiff it's almost solid.
    Good luck

Name:  $(KGrHqYOKpME6d+!Z6LJBO)U,(cGDw~~60_12.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  53.2 KB
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Heat and Bond Light works well too

You must wash the material before using the fusible. Check the temperature of your iron. Too hot and too cold are usually the problem

Blog Entries
    and sometimes the fusible is just plain old!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I use Wonder Under, which is a Pellon product. I always prewash and never use fabric softener. And, yes, it must be completely cool before you can peel the paper off successfully. I quite often pop the pieces into the refrigerator to speed the cooling process along. I use a pin to score the paper and then peel from the scored spot toward the edges, so that I don't fray the fabric.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    I learned the hard way make sure the iron is set on the right temp, the right amount of time and let it cool!
    Quilting in the Desert