Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!  Heat n Bond mistake on gorgeous applique >

HELP!! Heat n Bond mistake on gorgeous applique

HELP!! Heat n Bond mistake on gorgeous applique

Old 12-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Default HELP!! Heat n Bond mistake on gorgeous applique

I just finished making Toni Whitney's mistral applique. It is gorgeous. However, when I went to stitch down all the edges (this is the center block of a quilt), it is leaving little holes. I did test running over it with an iron and they disappeared a little, maybe after washing they will go away. But maybe not. Very concerned.

After researching on this board (sorry I have been away from this board for a while, as we got guardianship of our grandson 2 years ago), it seems I used the wrong adhesive. I used heat n bond ultrahold which you are not supposed to sew, I assume because of the the holes and also because it will gunk yup your machine. (I already have constant tension issues with my 9" brother.)

Not sure what to do.

Do I continue trying to stitch it (my machine needs a good cleaning anyway)? But what if the holes don't disappear.

I don't trust heat n baond on a quilt without being stitched, especially with all these little pieces. Afraid the heat of the wash and dry would cause them to move or come loose.

Do I just take the quilt back apart and make the center block just a wall hanging?

BTW - this is a gift for my sister in colorado. She has seen pictures of this all through its progress. She will be sooo disappointed.

Ideas?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

What kind of stitching are you doing? I had an awful time trying to stitch through H&B regular. I ended up using a buttonhole stitch around the edge because most of that stitch goes on the background. Can you do a straight stitch just inside all the appliqués for a raw edge frayed look?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Can you make a little sample piece, using the H&B, stitch over it, and then wash it to see if the holes close up? Needle holes in fabric usually come out in the wash, but I don't know how the H&B affects it. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I normally am against gifting a wall hanging, unless pre approved, but in this case I think I'd call my sister and see if she had wall space for it. The ultra hold is for craft and home dec and as you have seen, doesn't look pretty when sewn. I googled the pattern (it is stunning) and don't think the buttonhole stitch is appropriate.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 PM

I used it early in my quilting days on a wall hanging. Tartan has the right idea about a simple straight stitch just inside the raw edge. Just keep an eye on the needle for glue globs. I found that once it's stuck, it's stuck. If the holes bother you, why not do a machined blanket stitch around the edges. Would that cover up the holes?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 PM

I will try a small sample (unfortunately I have made other appliques with this also (sitting waiting for a quilt to go into).

I will test A) no stitching, will it hold up B) with stitching will the holes disappear
Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM

here is a photo of the applique. As you can see, only a straight stitch is feasible.

For future refefence, is fusible web only a good idea for a quilt if it can be blanket stitched?
Attached Thumbnails mistral.jpg  
Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 PM

I do a lot of fusible applique, and I always use DMC Floss and buttonhole stitch around the pieces. I have always used Steam a Seam Lite but I understand it's no longer available. Sure glad I had my LQS order me a whole box of it, do not know what I will do when it's gone. Your piece is gorgeous, sure hope you can fix it.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

oh my gosh, that is gorgeous. I was just trying to sell one of her patterns that I will never use. I do hope you work it all out.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by kclausing View Post
here is a photo of the applique. As you can see, only a straight stitch is feasible.

For future refefence, is fusible web only a good idea for a quilt if it can be blanket stitched?
That's the kind of applique that you're supposed to use a straight stitch with invisible thread. The key is to use a fusible web that can be stitched through. I would just turn that into a wall hanging since you used ultra hold.