Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! Iíve got warts!

Blog Entries

Help! Iíve got warts!

Iíve got some loops on the back of my quilt. I used a pantograph and had adjusted my tension several times thinking I had solved it. Anyone have some good (easy) fixes? Im very OCD and they will drive me crazy. Iím hoping the small ones will disappear after itís washed.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Rethread your machine making sure you get the thread in the tension discs. Also, check your thread to make sure it isn't hanging up on something. My older Nolting sometimes has to have extreme tension dial adjusting if it doesn't like the thread.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    Iíve got some loops on the back of my quilt. I used a pantograph and had adjusted my tension several times thinking I had solved it. Anyone have some good (easy) fixes? Im very OCD and they will drive me crazy. Iím hoping the small ones will disappear after itís washed.
    These were found after the quilt came off the frame.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I don't think big loops will disappear in the wash, but the small ones might. You might be able to use one of the tools with a tiny hook at the end used to repair knits. Slide it in where there's a seam, snag the thread from within the quilt, and pull the excess to the inside. I don't know whether it would work, but it's worth a try.

Here's one brand of the tool I'm thinking about - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dritz-Sna...&wl13=&veh=sem

Sometimes when I've had that happen I knot a small piece of thread onto the loop, thread it onto a quick threading needle (the kind with the slit on the end) and pop it underneath the fabric and into the batting the way you pop knots under when ending handquilting.

Power Poster
    If it was a long section of loops, I would carefully pull the extra thread along with my tiny crochet hook until I had enough extra thread to tie a knot. I would then use an easy thread needle to pull the extra thread and knot into the sandwich.

Great ideas. I thought you were talking about REAL warts, so was fired up to tell you of a very inexpensive, pain free way to rid yourself of warts. I'm not quite disappointed to know you didn't need my medical advice!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I'm so glad I stopped and actually read this because I was actually thinking that "warts" sounded like a personal problem. So Sorry!! Just never heard of eyelashes called warts before. Anyway I never thought about using self threading needles to help pop threads into a quilt...I've been fighting with a regular needle! Ladies on this site are so smart....I'm learning everyday.

Blog Entries
    Yes what a great idea. I too am tired of fighting trying to get enough thread to use a regular needle. Will use this trick from now on!
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I'm so glad I stopped and actually read this because I was actually thinking that "warts" sounded like a personal problem. So Sorry!! Just never heard of eyelashes called warts before. Anyway I never thought about using self threading needles to help pop threads into a quilt...I've been fighting with a regular needle! Ladies on this site are so smart....I'm learning everyday.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great suggestions, I will give the self-thread needles a try.
    Joyce

You've gotten great advice on how to get rid of the loops on the back. Most often these loops are caused by bobbin backlash and are not a tension issue (which can present like eyelashes or pokies). Backlash can happen when you change speed or direction very abruptly. The bobbin continues to spin causing the loop to form on the back with the next stitch. Some longarms/midarms have an antibacklash check spring in the bobbin case to help alleviate the issue. https://thelongarmnetwork.com/anti-backlash-spring

Other things that help reduce bobbin backlash are washers or disks to help keep the bobbin from freely spinning when coming to an abrupt stop https://thelongarmnetwork.com/anti-backlash-disks https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l9ga5d2j_e_p38 , maintaining consistent speed of the machine head when changing directions, or my favorite which is to use magnaglide prewound magnetic core bobbins https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...7se29t01_e_p38

I have been successful using a pair of tweezers to tuck the loop into a selfthreading needle and pulling the loop to the inside of the quilt. And of course checking the tension and adjusting the loop out.

Blog Entries
    Here is a simple method posted on the board on 2016:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...x-t284457.html

Good luck!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Here is a simple method posted on the board on 2016:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...x-t284457.html

Good luck!!
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I tried using self-threading needles and couldnít thread them. So Iím now going to try this method of Kitsieís. I always do better with pictures LOL.
    Joyce