Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort >

Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort

Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort

Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM

My back hurts like that too. I think my table is too low. I definitely hunch over. I don't know if I want to tilt my machine because it's an embroidery machine too but I think I will try to raise my table.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM

I have always had back pain and when I took up quilting, I found the quilting process to be very hard on my back. I bought a great chair, at the right height but the pain continued, not only in my back but also in my wrists (carpel tunnel) and fingers (arthritis). Especially since I never really stopped, I just kept going. So, when I sit down to quilt, I put in a short cd or a short playlist on my computer. After the music stops, I get up and move around.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Go to your chiropractor and have him/her tell you what is wrong. I had upper back pain and found out it was a muscle problem. I just turned 61 and there are things you can do so the aging thing isn't the cause totally. There is a really good exercise show on our PBS and the lady says that as you age, your joints need lubracation.Your chiro should give you stretching exercises, and if you google online you can get physical therapy exercises. You may just find out that you have a vertabrae out or something simple.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 AM

My chiropractor gave me a really effective excercise....it is called Static Back. Lie on floor with your bottom against a chair, put your legs on chair so that your hips are at 90deg, and your knees are bent at 90deg. spread your arms out and turn your palms upwards. Lie like this for 15 minutes and you will find your spine is realigned and your shoulders are relaxed!! Works for me!! Try it and see!! Good luck!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM

If you hunch over while sewing it is very likely that you hunch over at the computer, while walking, pushing the grocery cart (you know, resting your arms on the cart and gliding along). My physical therapist helped me to change the hunch over habit and it has really made a difference. Just being aware of it and pulling myself upright as I walk has helped with a number of walking issues I had.

I spend 8 hours a day at a computer and changing my workspace (including a decent chair) made a great deal of difference. I am still working on my sewing set up but don't have the right combination yet. So i stop quite often, pull myslef upright and walk around a bit.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:17 PM

I have the same problem at times. When I used to cross stitch I bought this device... It is like a harness with a weight that sits across your back below your shoulder blades. Can't for the life of me remember the name (but I can look at it tomorrow when I go out to my quilt room.) I have read that you can get the same effect wearing a book bag with a book inside. Weight of book depends on you... Essentially, it aids in proper posture by drawing the shoulders back a bit and causing you to sit straighter. When my back is hurting, right where you say yours does, the relief is immediate.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM

I couldn't post my full reply, I kept getting the message about 30 videos, so I have decided to split my post in half, see if that works.
Thank you so much everyone who gave their tips. I feel that all your answers should be easily accessed on the board so others who suffer the same can read these tips. How do I go about asking Admin to give Back Problems When Sewing a permanent place on the board so it can be quickly accessed???? Sticky?? I was at my wits end when I posted this question.<o></o>
I’m thrilled with your tips, every one of them is important to take into account. I think too the table height is playing a part in all this. I’ll also ask a Chiropractor if I have a muscle problem. I have plucked out a few members to make comments back to. Thank you everyone.<o></o>
Sue<o></o>
If you ever figure out your problem let me know!
Prism99 <o></o>
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sewi...iondesign.html An excellent site.<o></o>
That sounds a good idea to stand up when machine quilting the quilt top.
BeckyCrafts
I take my hat off to you. You must have a light sewing machine? <o></o>
Jemma
I didn’t have the brains to mark them, instead I jiggled around to even them under the machine. Great tip.<o></o>
Peckish<o></o>
What an interesting read your site ishttp://www.seamstobeyouandme.comYou pre-sash everything, that’s a good idea I hadn’t thought of (except as you said when doing blocks on point)<o></o>
DonnaR<o></o>
What a good idea, my mesh back support slips, I hadn’t thought to wedge a bath towel in the upper portion.<o></o>
Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Anna from Oz part of my replyto all you great ladies- couldn't post the full reply
Garysgal<o></o>
A good idea, I had begun to think I have a muscle problem tooIf I am in the front seat of the car and the grandkids drop something on the floor in the back, if I twist around to retrieve it for them, I get the same problem like a torn muscle feeling. I try to remember not to do this.<o></o>
CoventryUK<o></o>
Thank you so much for your Static Back exercise , I will definitely do this as soon as I post my reply to you all.<o></o>
Sewmary<o></o>
I must try to make myself aware of upright posture. I have also noted DeneK’s advice which is similar.<o></o>
Cathyvv<o></o>
I will look into that rotor cuff injury.,<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Just a post script to my post. I was ordering over the phone to Maree from ozquilts, I told her of the wonderful replies I had on this site about my back problem. She suggested I look into a SewEzi sewing table. They are available in all countries apparently.
SewEzi Table http://www.sewezi.com/
Weight: 11kg (23 lbs).
Height: 74cm (29 inches)
Table Width: 89cm (35 inches)
Table Depth: 48cm (19 inches)

I compared my tables (3) with the specs, and my sewing tables are the 29 inches height. I then sat at the machine, and traced the problem to hunching forward, the machine sits on top of the table thus I hunch forward. The SewEzi table has the sewing machine sunk down into the table so there is no hunching forward, you look down at it. The Inserts are available for all makes of machines despite mine not being listed. I have already phoned them. Next thing I will get a decent chair that has a gas lifter, I think I may have sorted the problem thanks to all your suggestions. I probably should have had the decent chair right from the beginning, raising it to a good height so I was looking down on the machine, and not hunching forward from the neck and shoulder area.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Well, the day is getting on for me, I've ordered a new chair, no arms but able to adjust seat height and the back rest Also found this YouTube video showing Hilary’s Static Back exercise.<o></o>
Lower back pain exercise - Static Back<o></o>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxXnYXj9GoM
Thanks Hilary
Anna