Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I think I need an intervention!

OK, the problem, as I see it, is not that you can't stop buying fabric (at fantastic prices), but that you don't have enough time and money to buy all that you want! LOL You must stop and think! Do you really want that fabric? If NO, don't buy it. If YES, what's the problem? You go girl!!!! Don't let a little thing like a husband slow you down. seriously, though, If you can ger fabric at those prices, and you really like the fabric, and you can afford it, go get it. Build your stash, eventually you will start using it (giving you the excuse to buy more). It is an endless circle. Welcome to the FSW club. (Fabric Stashers of the World). Stashers Unite!!!!!!
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

do not fight the feeling-just roll with it.oh wait I am an enabler ,sorry.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Ask me how I know??? It seems I can't get enough

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Ah! And just wait until the vintage machine addiction starts!!

I'm happy to report there is NO AAA for us we won't allow it, so just enjoy your addiction I know I do, LOL.
    Oh yeah I also enjoy the vintage machine addiction, it's all good.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Wish I could but I have it to and the vintage machine addiction!!!!!

Good Lord! If there's a cure, I'd like to know what it is! My house looks more like a quilt shop than anything else, and I continue to buy more. My head knows it's ridiculous, but my heart has absolutely no control. Apparently, my heart has the checkbook.
    Life has given me so much more than scraps, but I make quilts anyway!
    http://www.wickedcool.etsy.com

It's an epidemic and none of us are able to help you. We can't even help ourselves!
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

Sorry I can't help you. There is no overcoming it- take it one day at a time. I don't have any other prized collections other than that fabric which provides creativity and therapy. So welcome to the world of quilting!!!

I'm sorry. I don't understand what the problem is.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Ah! And just wait until the vintage machine addiction starts!!
    Oh my gosh!! LOL, LOL, LOL!!! I've told myself I am going to have to self-impose a ban on all internet sites having to do with quilting (or ebay or Craig's List).

In talking with my daughter last night, telling her about my 3 "new" vintage machines - she asked me why I needed 3 machines. I said, well to sew on all 3 at once of course!!! Apparently I was unable to sufficiently explain the draw these vintage machines have. She looked at me, shook her head and said, "Mom, I think you've crossed over to the dark side!!"
    Dawn

DJ
    At least you've founds some good buys! I always fall for the full-priced fabrics!

Power Poster
    Oh dear, I think you are asking the wrong bunch of people! The best advice I can give you is ....DON'T LOOK! If I "see" a cute fabric on sale it is torture to resist.

Blog Entries
    we all seem to be stash hoarders here. I can't help you because I can't seem to help myself. It would be like the blind leading the blind .

Blog Entries
    I am right there with you. This week I am in Atlanta visiting my daughter. A dear friend of mine lives here, and she is looking for a sewing machine. I made the mistake of going with her one day to look at "sewing machines". I walked out of the first shop $225.00 lighter( $100 of it was for Designer's Gallery Studio Plus for my embroidery machines though). Next we stopped at JoAnne's and I spent another $45.00. That evening we went to Hobby Lobby (my first trip there) and lightened my wallet by another $65. And my friend STILL hasn't bought a new machine. I am NOT going out machine shopping with her again.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

So Sorry I can't Help! But if you give me you ADDY I'll be on the next Plane to go shop with You! LoL They say its always better to have a partner.

Blog Entries
    I went through "a phase" where I went gaga over fabric. I even started buying pattern I really (in hindsight) don't like. Then the room was full to overflowing and I became paralyzed in my mess - ahem, I mean stash. I sorted it and put it away neatly just to see what I have. The obsession sort of worked itself out and I only occasionally go on a bender. All I can say is good luck, be strong, and don't get yourself in financial trouble over a hobby.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    As someone who only has a 6' cabinet of accumulated stash, try to avoid starting a stash. Those fabrics are pretty, I'm sure. However, years down the road, you may say "What on earth was I thinking?" when you look at a particular fabric.

I've made three quilts from my stash within the last few months. Hasn't even made a dent. Scrappy quilts are awesome!
    Go forth and sew!

Thanks for the support everyone! Good to know I'm not alone in my addiction!

Candace

We can't stop ourselves, much less you. I cantell you that your taste will change and you won't like your stash asmuch but the main way to treat this is to not GO...lol. Good luck.
    Linda

Look at it this way.... Imagine if all the fabric you bought was $10.00 a yard, and how much money you have actually saved by getting these good deals! Just so you know, there's no going back....
    Bless, O Lord, the works of my hands....

P. C.

Hmmm I can't say anything as I spend more then $70 this week.
    Anna Quilts

I feel your pain! I'm a newby too and love Love LOVE fabric! I've had to tell myself thatt I can't go into a fabric store until I have a project finished. Once it finished, I can go back to fabric hunting. If I have a fabric craving before that time, I go into my stash, get out all my lovely fabrics, fold them and pet them. That satisfies the craving and reaquaints me with what I have (so I know what I might need to add next)!
    Emily

A fugitive from the Quilt Police

Well, I look at it this way: I don't drink or smoke or buy expensive jewelry or go on cruises, so the money I save I can use for quilting/sewing. My husband encourages me to quilt, and he never gets mad when I come home with more fabric. Of course, he does wood working and those tools are expensive!!

"Can someone tell me how to overcome this!? "

Yes, have someone else drive you around town and make sure they never give into the desperate pleading that will occur each time you come within four or five miles of a fabric store.

If you can't find someone willing to be your personal chauffeur/voice of reason, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Your addiction won't even begin to ease up until three-quarters of your house has been taken over by the stash...sorry!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast