Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I think I need an intervention! >

Help! I think I need an intervention!

Help! I think I need an intervention!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 AM

It doesn't matter if you have no stash, a small stash, or even a huge stash like I have. I can never pass up a good deal on fabric. If I like it I have to buy it.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilts722 View Post
Someone please stop me from going to fabric stores! I have developed somewhat of an addiction to fabric. If there is a sale and I can get pretty fabrics for 3 or 4 dollars a yard, I go crazy. When I can get it for $2.50 a yard, I go berzerk!! LOL Hancock's is my new bar, coupons would be my bartender, and the fabrics are my scotch on the rocks. I have spent $70 on fabric just this week. Someone help me. LOL

I think the problem is that I don't have a stash at all as I just started quilting... I SO want a stash!

Can someone tell me how to overcome this!?

Thanks,
Candace

Tell me how to stay out of resale/thrift/consignment shops and I'll tell you how to stay out of fabric shops.

:::::::::::::grannie off to think about methods::::::::::::::::
Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 AM

I could go shopping with you and tell you no after the cart is full and we are in the cutting line. I am cheap and a deal is a deal no matter, so I cannot help.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Oh the smell of fabric in the morning..........Sorry I can't help just got a coupon from Joanns
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 AM

And after you've gone thru all the stores in your area, we'll be glad to let you know where some of the best places on-line are for you to get your fabric fix
Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 AM

I'm thinking that we all need a 12 step program. "Hello, my name is Sue and I'm addicted to fabric." lol. Good luck, but I agree, you are asking the wrong people. We all have the same problem. A few years ago, I cleaned my stash and gave it all away. That's so I had room for more. It's a sickness.
Sue
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 AM

Well, I wouldn't worry about it till you show up at the checkout with all the material still on the bolts, glazed look in eyes and a bit of foam at the corners of your mouth, mumbleing something about 2 1/2 yards of this, 5 yards of that, 8 yards of the blue. And they drag you kicking and screaming back to the cutting counter to get them cut. Well, I wasn't kicking and screaming that time. Just kind of adopted a lost look, which I am good at calling up at a minutes moment.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 AM

I found out years ago that quilting was addictive...I knew long before that, that fabric was addictive when I started sewing for myself instead of my dolls at age 11 or 12. I see fabric and have great visions of what it will become (whether that happens or not), I have to have it! It used to be 3-4 yards of whatever struck my "fancy"...now it's anwhere from a "skinny" quarter to 6-7 yards (backings). I am constantly reorganizing my sewing room to handle MORE fabric. I am quickly running out of space, no matter what I do, I just can't sew fast enough! LOL,LOL
I think I must be over the top, but I'm smiling all the way!

If you figure out the cure, I'm not even sure I want it. hahahaha
Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM

Just take it day by day, the withdrawal can be awlful. some hints, when your palms start itching and you want to feed your stash hunger - take all your bins/boxes/bags/shelves of the lonely fabric and put them all out so they can see the sunlight - and open each one, maybe if the need is great - dump a bin or shelf or bag on the floor and refold, fondle. It worked for me but off the wagon I fell too.
Wow - we all should start a stasher's anonymous group. I joined the fabric moratorium on QB and did so well for 6 weeks. well I fell off the wagon - big time. Great deals on Ebay - I be so bad. Today I am back on the path, no fabric for me, I am taking it day by day. Today, i dumped all my fat quarters on the spare bedroom bed - queen size. this week I am arranging them to fit into plastic bins, folded nicely. Next, the quilt kit dresser - those poor babies haven't seen sunlight for years!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:53 AM

Alcoholics have AA, we have guild meetings, retreats, all day sew ins, quilt shows, the list goes on and on, only we don't discourage our addiction, we are all enablers.