Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help I've cut a tiny hole in my backing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy17
    Trying to do a QAYG last seam. The seam was off--not matching so I took it apart. In ripping the seam I cut a tiny hole right where the stitching will go when I put it back together. I cut a small piece of fabric and sprayed it with tacky glue. It didn't stick. Any suggestions how to fix this?
    That happened to me. I tucked a little piece of Stitch Witchery into the hole and ironed over it. Can't even see it anymore. Edie

Use a really good washable glue and a tiny patch if you need one, working from the inside if you can. Otherwise, I'm with the folks who say "Put the Label There!"

Blog Entries
    I don't have an answer for the hole, but when you bleed on a quilt, use peroxide on a Q-tip...takes it right out!

Thank you--thank you. I have a snip but it is on the front of the quilt. Not being creative, I never thought of wonder under. Happen to have so much--another lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    applique a heart or a label over the hole.
    I've got a little heart pattern that I have to use occasionally.

Put a small butterfly on it. And put another one somewhere else on the quilt.
    I cut a hole in a baby crib sheet that I had and i put a flower and butterfly on it.

If it really bothers you, bite the bullet and replace that particular piece. I have taken pieces out and replaced them on occasion. You can always hand stitch them back in using a ladder stitch. Kind of a pain in the patooty but worth it in the end. I have found adding patch material can add extra bulk, and besides I'd always know there was a boo-boo there. I feel your pain. Good luck and I hope whatever method you choose works well for you. :)

Trying to do a QAYG last seam. The seam was off--not matching so I took it apart. In ripping the seam I cut a tiny hole right where the stitching will go when I put it back together. I cut a small piece of fabric and sprayed it with tacky glue. It didn't stick. Any suggestions how to fix this?
    I've done this tooooo...Its a perfect spot for your label!

Blog Entries
    That happened to me. I tucked a little piece of Stitch Witchery into the hole and ironed over it. Can't even see it anymore. Edie[/quote]

This is what I always do. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by granky
    I don't have an answer for the hole, but when you bleed on a quilt, use peroxide on a Q-tip...takes it right out!
    Better yet, put a small wad of white thread in your mouth, wet it good. Place it on the blood spot and it will disappear in a few minutes. This works the bestest if its YOUR blood

The quilt is gorgeous! Lucky GD. This happened to me on the quilt I have on my frames right now. The backing actually split from the pressure. After wiping all my tears, I slipped a piece of stitch witchery along the tear, then ironed and did some extra stitching. The quilt is almost ready to come off the frame, and so far, everything is in place. Learned a lesson .....always check the strength of your backing.

I would applique several butterflys randomly on the quilt , just make sure one covers your hole , I think the quilt is beautiful.

Love the quilt. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    If it really bothers you, bite the bullet and replace that particular piece. I have taken pieces out and replaced them on occasion. You can always hand stitch them back in using a ladder stitch. Kind of a pain in the patooty but worth it in the end. I have found adding patch material can add extra bulk, and besides I'd always know there was a boo-boo there. I feel your pain. Good luck and I hope whatever method you choose works well for you. :)
    I did the same "clip job" on the last quilt I made. After considering all the options, I just replaced the block. Took longer, hated doing it but when finished it was really something to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    yep, applique something over it. labels can go anywhere!!
    Agree!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'll post a picture when I've got it put back together. At least the seams are lining up better. I've bled on it--got the blood out with cold water, cut the hole which I patched and sewn this part three times. Sure hope my GD appreciates it. Couldn't have done it with out the people on this board. Wouldn't have tackled it with out the things I've learned here. I love you all.
    In regards to bleeding on a quilt. Did you know that the easiest way to get rid of your blood on a quilt is to use your own spit. It will come out .

I would make a heart shape label and put it there.

Can't help with hole, but for the blood you got on it, use your own silvia to remove it. Works everytime. Just put your silvia on your finger and rub it on. repeat until you get all the blood out.

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    Yep... did that on a stretch velvet competition figure skating dress for my daughter. Gasp!!! Sewed it together and glued austrian crystals over it. Received wonderful complements on it and no one was the wiser..LOL...

Thats what I would do.

I think I'd applique something cute over it.

pal
    I'm a real "corn-ball". I'd do the stitch witchery and then embroider a few good sized hearts with the words "I love you with all my heart" etc. and randomly applique them on the front of the quilt. You really can't tell people enough times how much they mean to you.

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    That's pretty. I've had to patch quilts before. Where people put holes in them. I just took a piece of the same color fabric and appliqued it down on it with super tiny stitches. I like the idea of adding the heart and kitty too!

I think I see some butterflies in one of your blocks. I would purchase some of those pretty little applique butterflies and scatter them in a few place....of course sew them down. Pretty quilt!!!

Yep, my mother used this method when she burnt a hole in something with a cigarette.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast