Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Large Print fabric what to make???? >

Help! Large Print fabric what to make????

Help! Large Print fabric what to make????

Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Large print

That's a beautiful Jacobean design on your fabric - I would ask yr family first before cutting into it. If it were mine, I would do the whole quilt with center panel, a border, then more fabric for the sides. It's a beautiful piece- you could make slipcovers for a chair
Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I am trying to clean out my stash of fabric, and boy is it hard.. I have got bolts of fabric stacked up and can not find what color I need when I start a quilt so I end up going out and buy the color I need..this has to stop...so I am cleaning out and trying to put the colors together so I can find what I need when I start a quilt..

I found this fabric and it is really good fabric it is like a polished cotton, I think I was going to try and make some curtains for our bedroom at one time but now have blinds so don't need to make any....the colors would go well in my son and daughter inlaw bedroom so I thought I would use it to make a quilt of some kind for them..

The problem is that it is a big print and don't think it would look good just cut up and them sewed together to make a block of some kind..Seeing it is a big print would it look ok just using the print on top sewing two pieces of fabric together to make it wide enough and the put a boarder around it for the side drop,I have 10 yds of it and it is 54 inches wide, so two lengths of fabric would cover the top and then some..I think it would be like a whole quilt top, I think that is what you call this or a cheater quilt top..

Can anyone come up with a idea on making a quilt using this large print..I have never used a large print like this in a quilt. Thanks for your help...
Old 06-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
That is gorgeous fabric. Depending on how large the print is, you could do something similar to what is on the latest Connecting Threads magazine cover. It uses 10" squares http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...__D10482D.HTML
Or one of the BQ designs that uses 12" squares -- I like the original BQ pattern, but there are several available.

Another option that I think looks classy with large prints is to make a panel quilt with a large center panel with contrasting sashing around, and shorter panels top and bottom (and perhaps sides depending on how large you want it).

And another quilt I saw took wide (20"?) strips of a large print running vertically and separated them with sashing -- very modern.
I agree with Belfrybat. The large squares would be beautiful with your fabric, with maybe a strong pink color to pull out the pink in the fabric.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 PM

A Stack n Whack would be lovely.

Your fabric is very pretty!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Sorry, for some reason the only page I saw was page one---user error I suppose.

Others had suggested stack n whack.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
- I would ask your family first before cutting into it.
Non-quilters might have no idea what a quilt might look like after it is all cut up and sewn back together. If you are going to make it up anyway, like you said, do it your way and then see if they like it. If they don't, you're back to square one, but you will have your quilt made. It is some lovely fabric.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM

I have made several with large fabric prints.... Here's a sample....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523946[/ATTACH]

and

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523948[/ATTACH]

and this last one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523949[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails small-poppies.jpg   040sm.jpg   015sm.jpg  
Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 PM

I washed a square of fabric, after I sew a stitch all around the square so that it wouldn't fray in the wash.

I started out with a square of 17.5 x 16 ..after it was washed and dried it measured 17 x 15 1/2 so it shrank a half inch...glad that I did a test before sewing this into a quilt. also the colors stayed nice and bright and the shine was still on the fabric.. looked good as new.. love this fabric and can't wait to start on it... I have decided to do a whole cloth quilt as I really don't want to cut it up.. Thanks to everyone for your input on this fabric..
Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 PM

oh I love your quilts made with large print fabric, after seeing these I may have to do some thinking if a whole cloth is the way to go...Thanks so much for sharing..

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I have made several with large fabric prints.... Here's a sample....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523946[/ATTACH]

and

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523948[/ATTACH]

and this last one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523949[/ATTACH]
Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Yes, yes, yes Kaliedoscope for sure!!!!!!!!! It would be so fun to do and really beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Great for Kaleidoscope blocks!