Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me choose! >

Help me choose!

Help me choose!

Old 07-31-2019, 02:06 PM

I like the top piece in the first picture with your other colors. It has enough pattern to give it some "life" yet works nicely for a low contrast or soft look, IMHO. (I must admit, I am not a fan of greens, except maybe lime green). Which ever you choose, your friend will feel the love and support you are sending her!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:18 PM

If I were picking between the first two, I would use the top color in the first picture but now that I see them against a green, I like the contrast the green provides. Whatever you choose of the three will be beautiful, though.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:55 AM

Yes to the top blue one if those 2 are the choice but the green is even better.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:49 AM

I like the green too
Old 08-01-2019, 05:49 AM

A thought, and this may just be me, but....when I am hurting and feeling bad, I really want low contrast, soft, loving everything. Really colorful and bright things just make me more aware of how bad I really feel. That being said, I would stick with your original soft blues as the background and sprinkle the brighter squares in the quilt. That will give the softness and comfort with a little bit of pick-me-up, perky colors.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Argh! The indecision in me is so real.

While I wanted the low contrast originally because I feel those modern florals need it, here's a high contrast option:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...7-nicole-3.jpg

I like this one. Oops no photo attached. The light background with the “kind of blending squares”. Very calming and pleasing to the eye. I don’t care for the dark green background.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 08-01-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM

I have appreciated everyone's comments. This morning I was leaning back towards the lighter green-blue (bottom of the first picture).

However, I have committed to the dark green background, mostly because my husband liked it the best and I have to get going. I think the ideal background fabric would have been some sort of medium brown with a bit of blue in it, but there wasn't any of that in the stash.

I can still change my mind but I've already cut the dark green so it is unlikely... but it has happened before.

I'm cutting down the subsets, will have to count to see how many I will have and what will be left. Most of them will have two sets of blocks, the very large floral and the trees with the bunnies will just have one set each.

This top is what I call a "direct lift" of this pattern,
https://www.apqshop.com/Two-of-Kind-p/qgr-00240.htm

Obviously my fabric choice is going to give a different look than the batik option! I'm more inspired by the 30s option. If I had more time, I do a color gradation going from light to dark, but that would require 9 different coordinated fabrics per row for six rows. It would also be fun to play with light/dark, the way it is designed it depends more on color contrast than value contrast.

There was a recent thread here by one of the members about how much more yardage would be needed to expand the size of the quilt top. In trying to figure that out, I drew out my interpretation of the pattern. My block sizing is different, the finished size/number of rows is different. And most importantly for me anyway, is the way I have designed the construction (apparently significantly different than the pattern) it will be very fast and easy to put together.

Thanks everyone for the input. As always in this sort of thing, the recipient will appreciate whatever it is I do. Goal is to have the top completed by Sunday evening, quilted by the end of next week. My next problem will be deciding the backing! My original bright and healing print doesn't go with these, but I have things that do, or could, or at least are large enough to use! My friend is also a bit of a quilter, not full-bore like me but she can appreciate using stash -- especially since she has recently seen how much stash I have. She would be disappointed in me if I bought anything for this project. Hubby is going to his mini-family reunion this weekend and I will be on my own with no distractions other than the pets
Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 AM

Your friend will be so touched by your thoughtfulness and very much can appreciate the labor of love it is.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Not going to post my opinion because you have made your decision, but I just wanted to say what a great friend you are to do this quilt!
Old 08-01-2019, 10:26 AM

She is the sister of my heart and I would not be the person I am today if it was not for her.

It's the thought that counts and not the fabric