Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me figure out camouflage green colors >

Help Me figure out camouflage green colors

Help Me figure out camouflage green colors

Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Default Help Me figure out camouflage green colors

I am trying to figure out what the colors are in camouflage green quilting fabric so I can break them down to put into a quilt.

craft
Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 AM

There is green camo and then there is desert camo. Desert is very gray compared to the green one.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Camo varies a lot. Best thing to do is to use a piece of actual camo as inspiration.

Camo tends to be dull colors, not brights. Sometimes black, sometimes just very dark tones. So greens in the avocado and olive families -- not primary and bright. Same thing with the desert sands. There is also winter and other specialty camos.

My dad was in the Army and when I think camo it is 1960s military grade and not modern hunting.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 AM

Also add a bit of brown and black. I did a camo quilt for my GS ugly to work on but he loved it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]608660[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0439.jpg  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 AM

There are so many variations- do you want to go with the green camo that the military uses? (more olive green shades) or one of those that the companies that make hunting gear use (RealTree has several varieties) Those have more true greens/pine green and less towards the olive greens.

I have yardage of several of them, and have my DH's old BDUs as reference too. I don't have any that is the desert camo though. I even have RealTree muddy girl pink - not sure where you'd go to blend in with that one!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 AM

I think many Army units vary their camo gear depending on where they are deployed, and of course other countries have their own variety of camo for deployment. I know that the design can be changed/altered every couple of years, but the 'home/base' design remains mostly the same.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
There are so many variations- do you want to go with the green camo that the military uses? (more olive green shades) or one of those that the companies that make hunting gear use (RealTree has several varieties) Those have more true greens/pine green and less towards the olive greens.

I have yardage of several of them, and have my DH's old BDUs as reference too. I don't have any that is the desert camo though. I even have RealTree muddy girl pink - not sure where you'd go to blend in with that one!

My son-in-law was in the Army and had to wear the green camo. Sister wants me to make a quilt with these colors of green that were in the camo uniform he wore in the Army.