Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me quick!!!

If you can't remove...Give note with explanation and "quilt to come at later date"...This way you have time to redo another.
    OH and maybe if you going to use the same top...include a picture of the top...

I use a bar soap, like Fels Naptha or Octogon, something that is JUST SOAP, not detergent for odd stains. Before you wash in the washer rub the soap on and prewash. It almost always works.

I use Shout, then I hollar at the stain, "get out, get out". I hate that after all that hard work. But I know you will get the stain out.

Blog Entries
    I am sorry this happened but dont beat yourself up. Explain what happened and tell her you'll get a gift to her as soon as you can. I wouldn't give her the quilt with a stain on it.

Following are several ideas:

Resolve stain remover for laundry, Shout, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Grandma's Secret Spot Remover, make a paste of the Oxygen/Oxyclean and work with a washcloth in small areas, rinsing well, white vinegar on a rag blotting the area, soda seltzer water.

Good luck, keep us updating on the outcome.

Pam M

If nothing works, your idea for giving her the quilt with a note seems like the best idea.....
    please let us all know how everything words out for you.

I am in agreement with give the quilt with a note. You have already done the most part of the work and a new back will make a new quilt that is stainless. You have my most sincere sympathy.

julier love your avitar

N
    Quote Originally Posted by ljfox
    I am soaking it with Oxyclean right now. If that doesn't work I am going to try the peroxide. Do I use it straight and dab it on the stain or dilute it?
    Not peroxide, it is a bleach.

I feel your frustration. When this happened to me on a baby quilt I added a new back. I put a very soft fabric on the back and sewed all sides and turned it inside out. It ends up like two blankets sewn together. You don't see the quilting from the back only the front. The baby loved it because as she got older she could scrunch it up with the loose fabic. In fact I have made several this way since then. Just another option other than trying to get it out. good luck

Here's a little story similar to the spilled Coke but has nothing to do with quilting. We were having a baby shower for my niece (my Godchild) and I had seen this beautiful crib cake. It was large enough for the guests and rather expensive. On the way to my sister-in-law's the day before the shower, I held the cake on my lap so it wouldn't fall or anything. My husband got into a car accident, and the cake was everywhere. Luckily, my niece knew the owner of a very good bake shop in the area and took it there. He was able to selvage it but it never looked like what it was before the crash.

if nothing else works and you are to the point of making a new quilt, try Tide with bleach.

I have found Shout's Advanced Stain very, very effective for stubborn stains. Worth a try. Also, I keep a mixture of Shout & Clorox 2 in a squeeze bottle by my laundry sink. That combo is extremely effective in getting out set in stains, too. Good luck. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

i GOT THIS RIGHT OFF THE COCA-COLA WEBSITE:

We know you must be very disappointed with the situation. As with other beverages and food products, some ingredients have the potential to stain certain types of materials and fabrics.For this reason, we cannot guarantee or be responsible for the result of any stain removal method; however, you are welcome to try the following:

Take a spoonful of mild detergent and add it to a pint of water

Shake the contents until dissolved

Dip a white cloth into the solution, just dampening the cloth

Gently rub the cloth on the spot in a circular motion, not changing the direction of the motion

Repeat process

After most of the stain is lifted, cover spot with a clean, dry, white cloth

Place a heavy object on top of the cloth and leave overnight.

If this does not remove the stain completely, we would suggest contacting a professional cleaning company or the manufacturer of the stained item. They may have other suggestions or be able to professionally remove it for you.

Blog Entries
    HI ljfox, Well, we are all curious! Did the stain come out? What did you decide to do? A note? A call to a divorce atty?

One unusual stain remover I learned about in my college days is "aerosol" hair spray - like aqua net. I sat a just finished satin bridesmaid's dress on an ironing board with an open ink pen which, of course, bled uncontrobally on the satin. Spraying it with the hair spray saved the day. It is worth a try! Good luck.

don't give up trying to get it clean but I think you should finish it and give it to her because quilts for babies are meant to be washed over and over again.

I agree with finishing the quilt. I love the idea of tea staining it.
    Also, if you can't beat it .. join it. After the quilt is finished, put some diet coke in a spray bottle and spray the back, randomly, so that it matches the original stain. Let it set for awhile then wash the whole thing. You may have just stumbled on to something!! ;-)

I feel your pain and am dying to know whatever came of it. Did you beat the stain out of the quilt :) :).

for blood stains, your saliva has the enzymes that remove YOUR blood. When I've been unlucky enough to bleed on white fabric (where else would I bleed???), simply saturate it with saliva (don't do unless you've rinsed your mouth of coffee--LOL) and then wash. It comes right out even if the blood dried. Or simply allow the saliva to dry and wash later.

These were all really great tips. I am the queen of coffee stain. We take bets on how long my shirt will be stain free. I have found that if through it in the wash with differant stain removers it sets in instead. I have had wonderful success with bloting,one cloth underneath to absorb the stain.
    Ok ladies no divorce court. At least the men try AND HOW many of us have screwed up something of theirs while trying to be helpful?
    I will say I like the radom stain it all .

One thing after reading all of the tips is one solution was left out. I have found a written note to save for years to come. A story with the quilt. My husband wanted to help so much and this happened . He is so sorry . The stain comes with Love.
    The story of all the love that went into this is a wonderful memory. Even the bad stain, in a few years it will be stained from all the love of being carried around.

Fels Naptha soap. I haven't found anything that it wouldn't take out yet....

This has not been mentioned, but when my girls were little, I used baby wipes, it worked on baby formula, soda pop, spinach, ketchup, spaghetti sauce, mud you name it. Of course, that has been a few years ago. My babies are 24, 26, & 31, just a few years ago. It might be worth a try.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I would try shout or any clothing stain remover...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast