Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Need ideas for this crazy thing I want to do..... >

Help! Need ideas for this crazy thing I want to do.....

Help! Need ideas for this crazy thing I want to do.....

Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM

Default Help! Need ideas for this crazy thing I want to do.....

When I divorced in 2001, I kept my wedding ring since I wasn't sure what else to do with it. I have considered selling it when the price of gold was high but just never got around to it.....but here's my idea. I'm a crafter and quilter who loves, loves, loves using "found" or "weird" objects in small quilts.... So how could I use my ring? It's simple white gold with no stones. I would love to incorporate it into a picture or an abstract quilt of some sort, wall-size, not bed size.

I appreciate your ideas, the crazier the better.....logical ideas wanted, too!

Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 AM

Make a Lord of the Rings panel and use it as the One Ring LOL
Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 AM

A helo around an angel.
A monocle on a specific character.
Hoops from a fish's mouth.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 AM

An abstract picture of yourself blowing bubbles and one of the bubbles floating the highest away in the sky is the ring.

A Family Tree Wallhanging and place the ring in an inconspicuous area as it was part of your life-like maybe underneath a loose leaf hanging on a branch. If you have children, certainly the ring means something to them and it is possible they won't have a problem with the ring on the Family Tree. To want to incorporate a symbol of your past marriage into your life, having the ring on a Family Tree Wallhanging in plain site may or may not be an issue with you. Doesn't sound like you are asking for a negative solution, just something creative.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM

NanaCsews2 ideas are great. #1 very symbolic if the marriage/divorce was baaaad. #2 if it was less contentious and you think the pain will subside over the years and just become part of family history.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM

I closed my eyes and tried to imagine the ring 'somewhere' in a wall hanging. What I saw was an under-ocean scene, with the ring at the bottom, in sand. Fish are looking at the ring, with wondering expressions. Above, the water becomes brighter and clearer, as one nears the sunlight.

I know someone (dear), who recently went through a divorce, so my imagination is probably influenced by that.

Last edited by Neesie; 12-11-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Well Bailey, I'm an in the box kind of thinker. So it's hard for me to give ideas to someone who is not. With that being said, Do you have a daughter who may want to wear it on one of her other fingers? Or a grand daughter?

It could be used as part of a knocker for a door, a tire on a vehicle, as a ring on a necklace (you know how pregnant women sometimes can't 'fit' into their pre-baby jewelry when very pregnant), how about having it be on a finger of a newly wed (you know those hand over hand pictures when couples first get married), use it as the frame of a mirror, sewn to a pillow (think same wedding reference), or how about using it as a bowl and filling it with _______(porridge, gold fluff, fruit....).

Phew! That was hard for me. Do you see the sweat beading on my brow?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM

I see the ring used around the opening of a bird house. McKenna Ryan has some great birdhouse patterns.

http://pineneedles.com/SuperStore/Su...ssortmentID=59
Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 PM

HAVE IT MELTED DOWN into a dew drop and give it to your child or grandchild or wear it yourself. They make beautiful drops on chains.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

If you like the ring, couldn't you wear it on another finger.
I plan to leave my five wedding rings to my Daughter and oldest Granddaughter. We have been married almost 52 years and neither have ever been divorced. I have five for various reasons. I figure one ring per every ten years. Plus I have a 50th anniversary ring with 6 diamonds to signify our 6 Grands.