Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please! distorted wall hanging, can it be saved? >

Help please! distorted wall hanging, can it be saved?

Help please! distorted wall hanging, can it be saved?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Unhappy Help please! distorted wall hanging, can it be saved?

I made a wall hanging and quilted the flowers on the main panel. it seems that the quilting pulled the center of the piece in and now my wall hanging is distorted...4 sides kinda pulled to the center. Is there a way to fix this? My sister bought the beautiful floral fabric and I put about 4 borders. I will try to post a picture as soon as I find out how. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM

Maybe blocking it? Do you think this would help?
http://theqec.org/28/how-do-i-block-...ging-on-a-wall
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM

I think you might need to add more quilting. It's hard to say without seeing a picture of it. If you only quilted the center, and the quilt is drawing up in the center, I would suggest quilting in the outer sections to "draw" those edges in also.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

the process of quilting (just like the process of applique and embroidery) always draws up the fabric some---dependant upon the amount of stitching done...it is a normal occurance and the reason for having extra fabric (when embroidering/appliqueing you cut your squares 1" + before doing the work-then trim to size when completed- with quilting the backing/batting is cut larger- then everything trimmed/squared after quilting)
if your center is skewed---perhaps you did not (stablize) it before quilting? generally the edges (inside the borders) should be stablized-then quilted (from the center out) then the borders quilted- then the whole thing trimmed/squared-
if you show us pictures we may have an idea of how to (fix/square up) your project- or if you did not quilt too densely you may want to remove the quilting, stablize & try again...if it is densely quilted there may be a way to block it...we need to see what happened to have ideas on (help)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 AM

A quilt needs to be quilted the same density over the whole surface in order for it to lay flat.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think you might need to add more quilting. It's hard to say without seeing a picture of it. If you only quilted the center, and the quilt is drawing up in the center, I would suggest quilting in the outer sections to "draw" those edges in also.
I agree - but hard to help without a photo. Hopefully you can post a picture.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 AM

I would try blocking it before doing anything further. I have a small competition quilt that is heavily quilted in the center portion and much more lightly quilted around the outside. It lies dead flat against the wall because of blocking, so that might work for your piece as well and it's an easy thing to try. If it doesn't work, you can always try one of the other suggestions.