Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Red bleed in my Quilt of Valor >

Help! Red bleed in my Quilt of Valor

Help! Red bleed in my Quilt of Valor

Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Default Help! Red bleed in my Quilt of Valor

I prewashed the red and used two color catchers when I just washed my Quilt of Valor, but the red still bleed onto some of the white fabric. I just washed it again with 3 color catchers, and some came out, but the color catchers are still pink.

I am out of color catchers, but if I keep doing this, will it eventually look okay??? Right now my red/white/blue quilt is red/white/blue/pink...

Any other suggestions?

Dina
Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Can you soak the quilt in Dawn dishwashing liquid? Here's a link to one description of how to do it:
https://suzyquilts.com/fix-fabric-bleeds/

You can also use Synthrapol instead of Dawn.

What type of washing machine do you have? Domestic front loaders do not use enough water to dilute dye bleeds. You can save yourself some work next time by doing the first wash in a machine that uses a *lot* of water and for soap use Synthrapol or Dawn (in *very* small amounts to avoid too many suds). These soaps suspend loose dye particles in water so they can be rinsed away instead of settling into fabric. Color catchers are not nearly as useful for this.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 PM

Wish I knew what to tell you on this issue. But I will ask the manufacturer and print of the fabric, so I avoid it.

There are others who have had the problem you are having and many suggestions were made. Maybe you could do a search on the board for them?

I am hesitant to suggest this, but will - how about putting some borax in the washer while it is filling and washing the quilt one more time? Borax is a whitener; I use it occasionally, but not on quilts, thus the hesitation about the suggestion.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:56 PM

We have been discussing this at our local guild and some say the same suggestions as noted above. Another soap that is used in museums is Orvis Soap. You can buy it at the local horse or tack shop. The kids use it to wash the horses at the fair to make them shine. One local gal who studies at the museum confirmed this. It does not hurt the quilt.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I don't have any more suggestions for what you might do now, but hope you get the white whitened again.

I used to "just wash" fabric - but did have an occasional bleed, even when I did that.

Now I soak the fabrics in hot water (gasp!!!!) for at least three hours (like colors together - just in case one of them has bad manners) before washing them gently. I usually add a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing detergent to the water.

When I'm on a washing "binge" - I have buckets, kettles, and the sink filled with soaking fabrics.

For the record, after this initial "abuse" - I handle my fabrics gently - short, cool water washes using mild/gentle detergent - the washer is not overloaded, gentle drying - again, not overloaded.

I feel that it is agitation and abrasion that makes fabric look worn/used - not soaking in hot water.

Using hot water does help release excess dye and increases shrinkage.

It is "a bit of a bother" before getting to the cutting and fun part of sewing - but I think dealing with a fade/bleed is a "bigger bother"

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-10-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am very disappointed because I thought I was doing everything right. I prewashed and I used color catchers. This is not my first Quilt of Valor, it is my 5th, and I have never had any kind of a problem.

I have a regular washing machine. I made sure it was washing in plenty of water. I have washed this quilt four times, each time with 3 color catchers, and the last time with a stain remover and a white enhancer thing as well.

But I have given up. It is what it is. Our guild is making 32 Quilts of Valor for vets at an assisted living center in town. I have made 2 and plan to make another. I have learned my lesson though and will be extra careful before I make this third one.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here is the quilt. It looks okay, sort of. It looked a lot better before it bleed. I am not sure the committee will accept it, and I don't blame them.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails bleedingred.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 10-10-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 PM

Dina, that is a beautiful quilt! I say that about so many quilts, that sometimes it seems a bit trite, but I always mean it. The pink doesn't show in the picture, so maybe you are just so aware of it that it seems 'outstanding' to you.

The quilting looks great on the quilt. It will be well loved.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

I really like that quilt - the fabric placement is great - the quilting is "just enouigh"
Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 AM

It's a beautiful quilt. The pink isn't noticeable in the photo. I am sure a little pink in the white wouldn't bother the recipient. Synthrapol is what I have used before to stop the bleed. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Gift your quilt. But toss that fabric.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 AM

I think your quilt looks great! If I gets material that bleeds before sewing I won't use it!