Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help ruined my girlfriends quilt don’t know what to do!! >

Help ruined my girlfriends quilt don’t know what to do!!

Help ruined my girlfriends quilt don’t know what to do!!

Old 09-13-2020, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I second Iceblossom's advice to 'fess up - your girlfriend probably will not be thrilled with what happened - but it sounds like your actions were not malicious - so -

Maybe between the two of you, a fix or solution (or resolution) can be found.

For future reference - generally speaking - protein based stains (urine, blood, feces, vomit) come out better with cold to barely warm water - hot water tends to set those stains. After the loose stuff has been flushed away - or washed down the drain - then apply some detergent/soap to the stain - wait a few minutes - and rubbing the fabric together (i am long past the ewwwwww stage - but there is that to contend with - get out the water proof gloves if you are squeamish) helps remove - or at least lighten - some stains.

And the sooner the better.

Do that before washing the whole item.

This is an interesting article: https://www.agingcare.com/articles/r...ics-151216.htm

There are specialty products for set in stains - but for relatively fresh stains - the cold water, detergent/scrubbing, washing usually gets most of them out.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-13-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

The picture I am seeing is of a gray blanket/comforter type thing - a plush/pile fabric on one side and a smooth woven fabric on the other. Is that what I am supposed to be seeing?

Are you sure that Grandma made that? Or did Grandma buy it? It has sort of a store-bought look to it - - - -
Old 09-13-2020, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The picture I am seeing is of a gray blanket/comforter type thing - a plush/pile fabric on one side and a smooth woven fabric on the other. Is that what I am supposed to be seeing?

Are you sure that Grandma made that? Or did Grandma buy it? It has sort of a store-bought look to it - - - -
I was wondering the same thing.....
Old 09-13-2020, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Most of us have ruined at least one item with improper (ignorant/stupid/foolish/hasty/panicked/) cleaning/washing techniques.

I have.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:48 PM

Rff1010, regular/original Dawn Dish detergent is another frequent recommendation from me! Sometimes we need to use what we have at home and if the issue was running dye, it would be the first choice from me. I'm suggesting trying the baby shampoo for softener effect and for a gentle lift out of any residue... I would hesitate to use actual hair softener unless I could be sure to rinse it out very well.

For my emergency kit I do keep regular bleach, original Dawn, WD40, Duct Tape, and a few other must haves on hand.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Add band-aids, scissors, matches/lighter, flashlight, food - - - -
Old 09-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

In the picture I see a quilt that has what looks like very close hand stitching. I have felt one old quilt that felt crispy before. Have no idea why. I laid it flat and wet it really good with water and let it dry, no dryer. It became soft again. May try that if you can't get a pro's opinion. Also has the quilt been washed before? Quilts rarely need washing unless stained or smelly so it may not have been washed all this time.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:12 PM

Was the whole thing crusty and stiff? Is that embroidery stitched on the quilt? Is that what is stiff? If it is embroidery done by machine....it is always a bit stiff because of the thread count of the embroidery stitches and also there is probably some stabilizer underneath it which also would add some stiffness.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:43 PM

I agree with the others...Ya better tell her. You can then work out the problem together.

I'm also confused as to what part, exactly, is stiff and crunchy. Please be more specific.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:53 PM

For everyone asking I fessed up to her immediately after. No it’s not the gray one it’s the blue one. And thanks for all the advice now in the bathtub