Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Who's afraid of scraps???

As I complete projects, I've been taking the remnants & cutting them in to various sized strips (mostly 2 1/2") and 5 1/2" blocks... I want to make 'something' from all this crap (I mean scraps) but nothing matches! How does one decide on a quilt pattern for this stuff!?! How does one take a bunch of unrelated/fugly fabrics & bring them together to create something beautiful (or it least something SOMEONE may want)???

Blog Entries
    Add one constant color fabric to the mix. I usually use a white or light color to blend the scraps together in block. Pinwheel, Snowball, and Log Cabin make great scrap quilts.

In my 9 patch I wanted the most varied variety of diffret fabrics I could come up with. Nothing matches block to block but the two fabrics within the blocks match. I love the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    In my 9 patch I wanted the most varied variety of diffret fabrics I could come up with. Nothing matches block to block but the two fabrics within the blocks match. I love the results.
    What a great idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that.
    Another reason I love this site so much.

Blog Entries
    Using a dark color with the scraps can give a quilt an amish look.

In a 9 patch, you can use the darks on the corners and center and lights for the rest for another look.

Or look at other patterns that use light and dark fabrics to draw out certain aspects of a block :D:D:D

Love it!!! How large were your pieces to make the 9 patch?? It looks so comforting :D

Blog Entries
    Sometimes for inspiration I will google and look at the pages of pictures that come up :D:D:D

http://images.google.com/images?sour...ed=0CBsQsAQwAA

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    That's what I would do too.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Using a dark color with the scraps can give a quilt an amish look.

In a 9 patch, you can use the darks on the corners and center and lights for the rest for another look.

Or look at other patterns that use light and dark fabrics to draw out certain aspects of a block :D:D:D
    I get so much info on here.

I love your scrappy quilt. Someday I want to make one too.

Quote Originally Posted by thequilteddove
    As I complete projects, I've been taking the remnants & cutting them in to various sized strips (mostly 2 1/2") and 5 1/2" blocks... I want to make 'something' from all this crap (I mean scraps) but nothing matches! How does one decide on a quilt pattern for this stuff!?! How does one take a bunch of unrelated/fugly fabrics & bring them together to create something beautiful (or it least something SOMEONE may want)???
    I would like to recommend a site on scrap quilting www.quiltville.com Each free pattern on the site has how to choose scraps for it to make it cohesive. Hope it helps!
    liblueeyes

Quote Originally Posted by Nursesews
    Love it!!! How large were your pieces to make the 9 patch?? It looks so comforting :D
    Each 9 patch is 6 inches.

One approach is to disregard the color...go with light and dark. With scrappy it's more about contrast...not about color combination. Try not to focus on what a single block looks like...think about how the quilt top will look. kwhite's pictured example is visual proof that everything will go together beautifully if the contrast is there...and the smaller patches make all those scraps sparkle. It's hard for some of us to break the matchy matchy habit...but it can be so much fun...and so liberating! Good for you for actually cutting your scraps into useable shapes...you're halfway there... Good luck!

Google Scrap patterns, or Bonnie Hunts website. You'll see what would work for you...

Kwhite - I love the results too. That's a beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    If the fabrics weren't ugly when they were "planned" why would you call them ugly now? There may be some values that should not go together but all in all, the plan of a scrap quilt is to not have a plan.

One method (that I have not mastered) is the paper bag method where you separate the scraps into colors and each color goes into a brown bag.

When you sew the pattern, the only decision you have to make is which color is next. Then without looking, you pull a piece from the bag and you must use it (unless it is a duplicate of the previous piece). It is a freeing experience.

Here is a closeup of a somewhat random scrapper (darks and lights) from my stash. The key is not to look at each piece but wait for the quilt as a whole.

Well, off the top of my head you could make a scrappy D9P or check out quiltville.com.

Here's a scrappy d9p I did, and a scrappy one I made for my hubby (my own pattern).

My niece for her first quilt just put squares together that I bought off EBAY. I think the only thing that matches is that they are some crazy fabs. Picture posted.

Kyia

pictures
    Name:  Attachment-62094.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  51.6 KB

pictures
    Name:  Attachment-62095.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  58.4 KB

Sorry double post. It didn't post first time.

Kyia

pictures
    Name:  Attachment-62097.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  51.6 KB

pictures
    Name:  Attachment-62098.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  58.4 KB

Blog Entries
    I think the discussion on this thread has been the most useful to date. Thanks for all the great things, I've learned more about scrappy quilts right now than ever before. The only one I've made was a mystery quilt and it turned out okay, so I'm not sure why making another seems such a big deal. There just hasn't seemed to be any good way to sort scraps........until now. I can feel the fear dropping away.

I'd just like to add my thanks also. Up to now I've not been 'brave' enough to do a scrappy quilt, despite having a bag full of scraps and strips.

I just shut my eyes to it and left it getting fuller as I used all the other stash. Will look at it again and might have a go later this year.
    Thank you

What I find best to do when using scraps is to put them all into a bag and what I pull out is what I use..... don't laugh it works believe it or not.
    I love scrap quilting and have people give me their scraps.
    I have posted several scrap quilts on this site and so have others and they all look great.......... one of the quilts I did was a scrappy double Irish chain..... which I love.
    Good luck with what ever pattern you choose.... will be looking forward to seeing your scrap quilt.

Here's what some friends and I am doing... we began in July and each of the six of us chose two blocks we thought could be done scrappily... I, personally, am using all florals but it is VERY scrappy. If a block (snail trail) is used I use color families to make the pattern but do it scrappy... I am learning alot about darks, lights, and mediums... two of the blocks that were chosen were not good ones for scrappy (in my humble opinion) but they were chosen so I did what I could. It has been a blast and I cannot wait to get my blocks done and made into a quilt for our guest room.

I love that. It gives me hope that someday I will stop being matchy matchy and make something like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast