Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
here a UFO , there a UFO, everwhere a UFO >

here a UFO , there a UFO, everwhere a UFO

here a UFO , there a UFO, everwhere a UFO

Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 AM

OMG,130.Well,I think that's more then me.But,I haven't counted so maybe not.Well,I will definately start to finish.Maybe one a week til I get to the ones that will take more time.At least it's a start.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 AM

I try not not count them... I tend to start something for a season then not get it done in time & put it away. Now I have a bunch of Easter UFOs from last year & they are a quick finish - got four tabble toppers done so far...
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Whoa!! Seems like I am not the only quilter with ADD!! I love the piecing, hate the sandwiching, like quilting on my friend's longarm, but rarely get to do so, don't like quilting on my Janome, it hurts my neck, and I am starting to not hate bindings so much.

And I think for me, it depends on what you mean by UFOs. I have 4 new quilt tops, 2 old ones, and about 20 table mats/runners/wall quilts to finish. I wish I could take each one from start to finish!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 AM

As Anne Lamott says "Bird by Bird". Start with one and keep movin'.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM

I have tons of them and always say one day I am going to finish them. LOL!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Just a question---do any of you with piles of UFO's ever pull then out and think, YUCK-what ever possessed me? A couple reasons why I don't have more than one UFO (the highest number was 3 queen tops completed, but not quilted, only because I was in the process of moving back to the US and didn't know if I would have a sewing machine for a while (old one was from Australia-220 current so I left it there), and couldn't face the prospect of NOT having a hand-quilting project to work on! Anyway, got back in the US, found how easy it was to get to a fabric store (none in Vanuatu where i lived), and went to town. I also, at the last minute of packing, discovered, thanks to DH, that I could use my machine with a transformer (I think he didn't want to risk what I might want to spend on a new machine!) Soooo-I looked at those 3 quilt tops, decided one was too nice and wanted it done right away, so had it LA'd on the board, (thanks Charismah!), the second, I traded for LA services, and the third is my one UFO that I am hand-quilting-but have already lost interest to finish it. I wish I had that LA quilted now. Now, I really don't relish spending my time working on a quilt I am not crazy wild about, when I could be working on a project I AM crazy about. Besides, I think I would feel if I didn't finish a project, it would be a big waste of fabric-and I DON'T like to waste fabric (probably because I was so starved of access to good fabrics in Vanuatu-I coveted every scrap!) I guess what I am trying to say is I want to finish a project while I am still in love with it!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Our guild has a UFO deal going this year, except it is called completing your PHD (partially half done) projects. You list the PHD projects you want to finish by Christmas paying $1.00 for each item you list. When you complete it you bring it to the meeting for show and tell and get one chance put in the drawing for December. At our Christmas party one winner will be drawn and win half of the money that was collected in January. It is a fun way to get our projects completed with hopes of winning the money. I had 10 items on my list. I finished one and hopefully will have another for this month's meeting. Alas, though I have started a couple more. Just can't seem to help myself. LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM

To all my fellow quilters out there "Don't give up and get those UFO's done, I know you'll feel great when you have accomplished your goal and completed the challenge that has been issued to finish those projects you started and never finished. WE CAN DO IT because we have this board and the talents of a quilter. SO GO !
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Join the club. I also cleaned my sewing room and to my surprise find many UFO. But being in a quilting club has help me to work on my UFO's but it will take time to get it all done. But am having fun doing them and needless to say also brings back good memories. Lots of luck with all your UFO's. Rena Smith
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM

I'm not quite that bad but I am getting close. My UFO's just keep on becoming more and more. It is starting to make me nuts. I need to get it under control. I just keep getting new projects that have to be finished in front of what I want to do. I am dying to start a bargello as soon as I find all the fabric. I need a total of 24. I told myself I am not allowed to start it until I finish at least 4 of them.