Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hints for newbies >

Hints for newbies

Hints for newbies

Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Don't attempt the complicated parts of patterns if you are too tired or distracted. Stick to the easy stuff at those times.

Same goes for cutting. Be sure to read the pattern thoroughly before you start cutting.

Don't freak out if your pieces are a smidgen off. Once it's quilted and washed, the puckering will hide a multitude of mistakes.

Until you gain confidence, match the bobbin thread to the backing fabric. Also hides a multitude of mistakes.

Don't be afraid to experiment with other people's suggestions. Everyone has their own comfort level and what works for them may not work for you. Do what works for you!

When washing a long length of fabric, fold as on the bolt, fanfold into a smaller length, say 1 yard or so, pin w/safety pins every foot or so. Wash & dry this way and avoid a tangled mess.

Relax and enjoy your hobby!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 PM

I think practicing 1/4 " seams. I had a hard time with nothing matching up at first. My personal preferance is to pre-wash & starch. Things just go together much easier. Most of all have fun & keep your seam ripper close by.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:14 PM

When you are putting blocks together, PIN, PIN, PIN. That way, your seems will match. I also press every seem.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

I don't think this is a hint, but my tip would be have no fear, jump right in and do whatever catches your eye. My first quilt was a Red Hat applique and I had never even threaded a machine never mind done machine applique :) :) Then I finished it by stippling it. Probably not as good as an experienced quilter could have done but I was certainly proud of myself. That quilt still looks good to me when I see it. I gifted it to my mother.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Loving these experience tips! Keep em coming!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:31 PM

I think I have another reason for not pre-washing your fabric (unless there's a possibility of the colors running, in which case you definitely should).

One advantage of the old, wrinkled look is that it hides the imperfections in your FMQing. I just took a break from FMQing a queen size quilt (wow, is that big and hard to manage) and I really suck at it. My curves are so wavy (where not intended to be so). I am definitely counting on that not being so obvious after washing LOL.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Just don't put it on your electronic items. As far as distance I've never seen an answer either.