Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice >

Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice

Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice

Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM

i have the janome 1600P and the GMQ quilting frame - it is currenlty being put together but I loved it when I demo'd it. The 1600P is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 PM

there is another thread currently being discussed.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/l...44.page#213710

I purchased the GMQ Pro frame (by Grace) and a 13 inch Bailey quilting machine which will fit your budget. Why settle for a 9 inch when you can have a 13 inch? And for a little more, you can go with the 15 inch machine. The longer the machine, the more quilting space you will have.

Please research all these options that are being offered by members here.
Don't be sorry later.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Thankyou June for that very helpful thread. I think it is quite clear that a conventional throat size is too limiting once the finished part of the quilt is taken up on the roller. I will switch my search to larger throat machines like the Bailey (I have never heard of those...how is their reputation?) and the Tin Lizzie or HQ16.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 PM

Let's hear it from those members who own these other machines.

My experience is limited to one year with the Bailey. I enjoy using it to finish my quilt.

June
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM

A local fabric store I like has, like a few others, a Bernina dealership in it. I had a lesson yesterday in why I am not a big fan of the sewing machine industry's approach to marketing. I was chatting with another lady that I should join a quilting guild for a lot of reasons, but one of my aims was to get advice from experienced quilters on what dedicated frame and machine I should choose. The shop owner and dealership rep overheard and jumped in, loudly extolling the virtues of the Bernina 830, and exclaiming it would be PERFECT for me.

I patiently explained that the 830, while beautiful and a fine machine, was not an appropriate choice for the job...all I need is a great straight stitch and a generous throat. The 830, with its wonderful array of capabilities (and $12,000 price tag, which puts me into dedicated long arm territory) would be wasted on such a task.

They looked at me in shock, made some inane comments about not buying machines in WalMart, and how USA warranties are void in Canada, and the conversation halted. I don't know whether no one has ever passed up the idea of an 830 before, or whether I ticked them off in some way by having an informed opinion!

Anyway, rather than having anything substantive to offer to a regular fabric and notions customer, all I got was the "buy our shop TOL" cheerleading exhibition. Sigh.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM

I would call that Sales Pressure of the worst kind. The economy may be bad, but putting that kind of pressure on someone without really hearing what you were saying, is inexcusable! Shame on them!!!

You know exactly what you want and need, and how much you can afford. You do not need to spend that kind of money to make a few quilts! Or a lot of quilts and their comments about Wal-mart. Sour grapes! Not everyone can shop in their store and at least Wal-Mart offers something reasonable, if not great in quality. I know people who have bought their machines and they can put together a quilt with the best of the Bernina's and Vikings.

Keep your money and find what you need....elsewhere!