Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it.  Should I quit while I am ahead? >

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 PM

Quitting is not an option. I am new to quilting and on a tight budget also. You can find fabric in unique places, I saw a quilt made from old clothes. I also found a set a work gloves for gardening at Home Depot for $1.50 that work great for working with fabric. Just keep your eyes open and look outside the box.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Don't quit! Quilt! We are sort of in a similar boat...sorta. I'm a college student so my funds are extremely limited.

So I shop at joanns and hancock fabrics where I can get fabric cheaper, because it is on sale or I have a coupon (I have been looked down on because of this, but I don't care). I try not to buy all my fabric at once. I slowly collect fabric so it's not such a shock to my wallet. And I get my almost all of my patterns free from the internet, handouts at my local quilt shop, or from books at the library.

But as far as free motion quilting goes...I can't help you there. I just found a way to quilt (with a walking foot) on my very crappy, basic machine that always seems to be inches from death. My machine just can't do it. All I can suggest is make a lot of quilting friends who will either teach you some things or maybe let you borrow a machine for a week. That's may be stretch...but maybe not. That's about all I can tell you.

Good luck with your future endeavors!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

You got a good set up. Eventhough there is a lot of great stuff out there and I own tons of it after 10 yrs all you need for machine quilting is a straihgt stich machine to piece and most likely with some help you can even free motion on it. I own a good amount of nicer fabric from fabric stores but I also look for people who are getting rid of fabric and will buy it from them. I have three friends that only use used clothing they buy at resale stores on $1 days. I would not quit. Take some time and be sure to budget so you do not put yourself in a pickle financially. Definitely look into scrap quilting. Sometimes people give fabric away on thisd board also but you will still need to pay for shipping unless they live in your area. I have bought large boxes for $5 to 20 from people in my area. It is all out of date fabric and needs a good wash but it is fabric and I am making quilts and having fun.

My DD is a young mom and she put on Face Book that she was looking for jeans. People responded and she got bags full that she makes place mats, aprons and quilts with.Maybe all you need to do is to let people around you know. I don't know where you live but maybe some one on the board can help you with free motion etc.

As for quilting gloves I have several friends that went to the 99 cent store and got gardening gloves they use for quilting.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 12-31-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Don't quit..you can find a lot of bargains and I am sure you will "fall into" some more free fabric as well. Hit garage sales and church sales..great place to find good fabric for almost nothing. I got a lot of patterns free at "McCallsquilting.com" when I first started. Sounds like you really do enjoy this crazy hobby. I have hand quilted several and love how they turn out.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM

There are many resources for fabric... look to relatives for clothing they want to discard. Often once "word" gets out you are looking for fabric.. it just starts coming. If you have a church you attend post a notice that you are looking for fabric. even the ugly fabric can contribute to a beatuiful quilt if you use small enough pieces.
Don't quit.... just get word out you are looking for fabric.. perhaps on freecycle in your area or even Craigs List. It would also help to find a quilting buddy to get you over the methods which you may be unfamiliar .
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM

I am going to second the suggestion about joining a guild. Our guild has tons of fabric that we use to make charity quilts. Batting is provided too. These wouldn't be quilts you could keep, so that may not be what you want, but it would at least keep you quilting.

You have enough tools to keep quilting. You just need fabric and thread. Wal-Mart stores....or at least some of them...often have fabric in a sale bin that is a really good price.

Bottom line, keep quilting. It is a healthy addiction....and fun!

Dina
Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
P.S.--I have used cheap fleece blankets for batting that I bought in thrift shops for about a dollar...Worked great ans was warm...Sometimes I get as much of a thrill by finding the great deals as I do quilting!!
Yes, this old fleece blankets. People always wonder why I want that old scratchy blanket but they work wonderful and are light. Also I find stufff on garage sales and it tends to be cheaper then resale stores.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Goodwill is another great source for fabrics....used clothing, blankets, & sheets are used all the time in quilting......
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM

If you love it, keep on quilting! There are so many free patterns that you could not finish them all in a lifetime (even if you had endless free stash) I have new LQS fabric, Joann's, Craiglist fabric from quilters' estates, swapped fabric and lots of cut up clothing in my stash. Let relatives know about your new hobby and you may yourself blessed with lots. Ask if your church has a charity group who needs help in making quilts.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM

Oh, another place you might check for free fabric is Freecycle. Just google freecycle for your area and post a request for fabric. I bet you get some responses.