Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

This is the best post EVER! I use Zots----those little sticky dots from the papercrafting section of the hobby store---for lots of things. In my sewing room, two of them on my ruler before cutting keep the ruler in place. In the rest of my house, one under the edge of a picture frame on the wall will keep it from ever going crooked, no matter how many times the kids slam the doors.

Fun! Learned about dryer fabric sheets. Used a CD to make yo yos before obtaining a yo yo maker. Use anything round for circles, tea cups and saucers etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySews
    How about sand paper to trace pieces, especially small ones -- keeps the fabric from shifting. does anyone actually cut individual pieces anymore? I use a rotary cutter for just about everthng -- but in the old days ... I used a lot of sandpaper for templates.

Mary
    Yes Mary, I do actually cut individual pieces with my shears. I use the sandpaper to trace around patterns. I make lots of scrap quilts so it's more practical for me. the thing that I use that hasn't been stated already is using soap slivers to mark quilting lines on dark material. really helps. Thanks for all the good tips.

WOW !!!! Thank you mpeters 1200 for asking this ?. I have really enjoyed all of everyones responses alot of good info here. I use one of those glass candle holder (glade) with the magnetic center to hold pins or clips etc.

PEP

I use old jelly roll pans (cookie sheets w/sides to put floppy items on top shelves, ie. applique' templates, a small project that had to be interrupted to fix something for DD, etc. I purchased a revolving kitchen tool holder; I keep it on my sewing table, upper right corner. It holds scissors, screw drivers, my magnifying glasses, pens, pencils, markers, back scratcher, magnetic extension gadgets, from DH, etc. It keeps many of those used often items close but out of the way. This is really an interesting, helpful topic, Thanks!

I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)

I still do. I have a piece of cardboard with sandpaper glued to it. When I need to trace anything I do it on that. Keeps fabricfrom shifting

thanks for the pics--I didn't quite get the design board till I saw the pic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen20906
    Use little girl metal hair clips to hold layers together instead of straight pins when finishing my quilt and sewing on the binding.
    I use this tip too. Here is a picture of what I am working on now. I did snip off the ends of the teeth just a bit because they were a tad too long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone i am new here ,but to using things from the kitchen i use the clear plastic containers that lettuce, grapes on other veg or fruits come in to keep my scraps in. It helps to keep me more organized .

Blog Entries
    I just wanted to say I love this site , and all you lady's its fun to read about all things and see all the beautiful quilts.I have made a few quilts and a lot of mistakes. I went and took a quilting class about a month ago and that really helped . I am hook on quilting love it , it relaxing. I hope that someday I'll be able to make quilts like you'll .

Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    These are great ideas. I'm still fairly young, but my knees are shot. I often have to con the boys into picking pins up off the floor for me because mommy can't reach them. This would fix that...and save me a ton in skittles and M&M's!
    Hey Lowe's has a telescoping magnetic tool that the boys use when they drop stuff in tight places. It is a great tool for dropped things as it has a fairly strong magnet. You can pick up things as heavy as scissors too.
    Harbor Freight has those also. I'll bet they are much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
    This reminds me that I do use my empty blood strip container (I'm diabetic) to put broken or old needles. When it is full, I can safely put the sharps in the bin.
    I use these containers for Bobbins. the ones that my friend uses are the perfect size for a bobbin and I can label the colour on the outside of it.

I usually have a couple projects going at once so I when I am not working on one I put it in one of those bags you get from the dry cleaners for sweaters. It has a snap at the end so things dont fall out and doesnt totally seal so air can get it.

I also use it for finished quilts that I haven't designated an owner for. It keeps the dust off of them

I don't know if this qualifys. I've been teaching my little grand daughters to embroidery,I was looking for sewing baskets for them to keep their individual projects and supplies in.They were a littlle expensive. Then one day I was in a thrift store and they had several picnic baskets,with lids and compartments.They work great and the girls love them.If they aren't lined it's not that big a deal to line them.

Blog Entries
    I use a nut pick as a stiletto, I got it in a set with the nut cracker and love it. I also use pretty jars and vases to hold various quilting supplies (marking pens, cutters etc.) I love this topic and will be following it closely to get many more ideas.

Happy Quilting to all
    Judy in Michigan

Blog Entries
    Instead of brushes, I use an empty (well-cleaned) Avon lotion squeeze bottle with a small hole in the lid to blow lint from the bobbin areas, etc., on my machines.

Surgical gloves from any pharmacy or drug store are great to wear while quilting instead of picking up "pullers" to pull the needle through; they also help the pain from arthritic hands! I tape my thimble to the outside of the finger.

My sewing room is furnished with chests from an old bedroom set, and I stacked the bookcase headboard on top of a long chest. Fabric on bolts can stand on end against the side pieces; smaller fabric is folded and stacked on chest top between them. The sliding doors above hide ribbon bolts and bagged items; rotary blades in eyeglass cases, etc. What a space saver!

I hang my cone thread holder from the long-armed light over my quilting frame, and put my quilting thread on it, threaded down through the hole in the base. Never have to hunt for the spool or a loose end to thread my needles. It's always right there, hanging over the quilt.

I cut very narrow strips of that rubbery feeling drawer liner (the stuff that won't let things slide around) to wrap around bobbins and/or spools to keep the thread unraveling.

cka

This is a great thread (no pun intended). These are some of my ideas: use the teflon oven mat for pressing sheet often on sale for $1. Being a cross stitch lover I have several large circle clips that I use for my thread organizer...use for rulers and hang from nail or hook. I use the removable hooks on my walls for hanging rulers, tools, etc. I love my large T-square; got it for Christmas last year (DH was always looking for his, which was in my sewing room...). I love the magnetic extension tool for pins and whatever metal object rolls out of reach. I just bought one at HF that has a light on the end. I also found a 3" level that is so handy for my quilt frame. I used PVC pipe cut to length to elevate my cutting table.

I use small pony tail holders to go around my bobbins. Then I use a golf tee to hold the bobbin and thread together.

I don't think that it is a great idea to use the canned air in
    your bobbin case area...it can actually blow the lint down in
    to your machine....you can buy a small set of vacuum cleaner
    attachments, that are used for cleaning keyboards....this will
    suck the lint out and you don't have to worry about it getting
    down in to your machine.

My 85 year old aunt just told me this one. If you store something don't starch it. Mice love starch. She lost several items due to mice eating doilies and a table topper that were starched heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1
    I use a sticky roller lint remover to clean up little bits of thread; a nylon scrubby to clean adhesive from my teflon ironing sheet; and an old metal crochet hook to pull things through - like when threading my machine or putting on a zipper - I pull the zipper pull out of the way of my stitches.
    I wondered why I just bought two :lol:
    great idea, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
    I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)
    I have a 4 X 8 peg board hung horizontal on my wall and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    I use a nut pick as a stiletto, I got it in a set with the nut cracker and love it. I also use pretty jars and vases to hold various quilting supplies (marking pens, cutters etc.) I love this topic and will be following it closely to get many more ideas.

Happy Quilting to all
    Judy in Michigan
    Hi Judy, where in MI? I'm in Flushing.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast