Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

Have your DH try taking zinc tablets to overcome the cracks in his fingers. I have friends who swear by extra zinc in their system.

Be sure you cut the threads into small segments, or you may find a bird handing by a foot or a wing, unable to free itself.

[quote=quilter64779]I still do. I have a piece of cardboard with sandpaper glued to it. When I need to trace anything I do it on that. Keeps fabricfrom shifting[/quote

One of the first things my first quilt teacher had us do in class was cover a piece of sturdy cardboard with sandpaper. I still use the same one to this day (30 years old). LOL Put your fabric on top of the sandpaper side and trace your pattern onto the fabric. It will not slip at all! Thanks for the reminder of days gone bye!

Instead of using balloon material for pulling the needle through the fabric, go to your hospital pharmacy and purchase a box of finger cots like physicians use for rectal exams, and roll one onto your "pulling finger". I can use one many times before it tears. They are much cheaper at the pharmacy than at a LQS or quilt show. The rubber does not deteriorate for several years, so you will be able to use a box of them up, maybe, or split with friends. I used to give one to each student in my quilt classes when we learned to hand quilt.

BK Renning, I love the picture you have up of the poinsetta. Is there a pattern. you can pm if you like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen20906
    Use little girl metal hair clips to hold layers together instead of straight pins when finishing my quilt and sewing on the binding.
    I have a box full of hair clips that I bought at either $ tree. or flea markets. They carry reg. size and large ones for 1.00 for a card of 12 or 24. Great deal. I use them often!!

Blog Entries
    I got to page 7 reading what all everyone sent in. I have one that I haven't seen yet..
    Use a net shower puff to scrape all your lint fuzzies off of your cutting board. Works great.

Save the plastic insert under the bacon works for templates

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
    I got to page 7 reading what all everyone sent in. I have one that I haven't seen yet..
    Use a net shower puff to scrape all your lint fuzzies off of your cutting board. Works great.
    This is what I need to do. I've got flannel fuzzies all over mine. Thanks for the idea.

I also use one of my water bottles to fill iron, one with a top that pushes closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I use a clean dishwashing liquid bottle to fill my steam iron. I take to to class with me for filling my travel iron,It takes a lot of refilling as it is so small. I use pillow cases to store my WIP projects.

I use a plastic desktop file holder to store my rulers and a soft paintbrush to clean lint and fabric/thread scraps from my cutting surfaces and sewing machine. Couldn't quilt without blue painters tape. Also use a round cheese board as an iron rest.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Dryer sheet for running my thread through when hand sewing.Love this topic!Will keep watching.
    How does this help your thread??

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Dryer sheet for running my thread through when hand sewing.Love this topic!Will keep watching.
    How does this help your thread??
    I would imagine it makes the thread go through the fabric better.

Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    Quote Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
    I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)
    I have a 4 X 8 peg board hung horizontal on my wall and love it!
    I also use a large peg board for holding my rulers and things.
    Here's a picture of it.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719kFeKjn

I use empty candle jars to hold pens, small rulers, scissors, etc. I a carpenters L square for squaring blocks and I also use a hammer and pliers in my sewing room. I am sure there are other things in my sewing room purloined from other areas but can't think of any at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Don't throw away scraps and thread! Put in old pillow case when full sew shut makes good animal bed!

This is a neat idea. I have bird nest in my trees that have beautiful threads and lace in them. I will tell my family and friends who sew this also.

It keeps the thread from becoming frizzy and getting fuzzy. I use this now for hand stitching, cross-stitching, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
    I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)
    Some people don't like the look of a pegboard, but I LOVE mine :)

I use it so much, that I expanded the one 2'x4' area to fill an entire wall - more like a LQS. Having a small room that holds a lot, including a longarm, makes it invaluable. My large one holds patterns, all my longarming templates, rulers and tools, rolls of paper/interfacing, all large spools of thread (about 200), oil, and a multitude of other things. I have have some of the very long pegs put across the top, with acrylic sheets on them for shelves. Then I placed some magazine holders with my magazines I wanted to keep, and covered boxes to hold zippers, buttons, extra marking pens/pencils, and other things that are small. I adore my pegboard! Liking that one pegboard wall so much, I created an additional pegboard space near my cutting table for all those tools (rotary cutters, scissors, etc.) and other supplies that hang up. 'It's a good thing,' as Martha says :)

Debbie in Austin

I keep a white plastic spoon in my storage can next to my machine. I hold it behind the machine needle; I can actually see the hole in the needle and thread it on the first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    I keep a white plastic spoon in my storage can next to my machine. I hold it behind the machine needle; I can actually see the hole in the needle and thread it on the first try.
    I am going to try this one! Sometimes I have a terrible time visualizing where the needle hole is. :|

I use a bright yellow post it note folded in half. Since I only have one eye it certainly helps too. Might try the spoon it would be easier to hold I think

I have a silver metal standing towel holder that is for bathrooms, shaped in an S on the top to hold the small towels and this is what I use to hold all my scissors---small ones on one side and big ones on the other--they just slide on and off.
    I have 2 over the door racks that are made for spices and canned goods on each of the doors in my sewing room---one holds my serger threads & ribbons and the other my fat quarters. I have lots of silverware trays that hold other notions, the thimble cup that was out with the bathroom collection designed to resemble the Monopoly pieces. I have 2 microwave carts that I use--one for my steam press and the other for my portable ironing board & iron. On my cutting table, I use a divided silverware carrier for my scissors there and my rotary cutters. I have 2 large units with small & a few larger drawers that are in the Hardware dept for screws & nails --one for my buttons divided by color and the other for jewelry findings & beads also divided. I have 3 small drawer units that were at Kroger for a $1.00 each to hold all my attachement feet for my sewing machine, each drawer is marked with the name of the foot using my dymo label maker, and one of them I use for all my sewing machine needles also marked. I use plastic hanging file containers with hanging file folders to hold all my magazines. Just hang the folder and open the magazine in the middle and place on the folder---no bent edges and easy access to find the one I want.

Blog Entries
    Think you for info on zinc ,my husband works in produce so the acid from the fruit and veggies cause his hands to crack .

Hi.I use herb jars,those with holes and feed used needles and bent pints into them for the rubbish collection. Trouser/ skirt hangers with spring clips ,great for holding completed blocks or pre-cut squares. xx

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast