Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Household items turned quilting notions? >

Household items turned quilting notions?

Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 AM

I've bookmarked this thread and will use a lot of the ideas! These are great!

I use the larger binder clips to sort and store leftover fabric strips

Un-bent paperclips (the large, plastic-coated ones) as hooks for my rulers and other tools that can hung. I hang these from cup hooks inserted into the wall.

I'm using furniture from my mom's house as my sewing and cutting tables (mom's desk is my sewing table, and I use the 3 drawers to store scissors and cutters, pins, and other notions.

I have a thread rack that I picked up at a moving sale for my better thread (the cheap stuff is in a drawer)

I use a queen-size flannel sheet taped to a piece of pegboard as my design wall (the entire sheet set was 15.00)

gallon-sized ziplocks for all sorts of things.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 AM

Oh, I am just loving these great tips from everyone! I am in the process of re-purposing my computer-reading room to incorporate my sewing machine so I am really appreciating the space saving tips. Please keep them coming.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Now that's one I've never heard before. Great, I'll try it.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM

I hope these qualify:
I use a receipe card box for all of my quilting books. I write the title, author and then file them. I can keep better track of them, especially if I loan one out.
I have a supply of lint rollers for rag quilts. They pick up all the loose threads faster than I can.
I also have a mid-size mirror that I hang by my quilting frame. When I want to check the stitches on the back, I slide it under the quilt and can see how they look.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Freezer paper is great for all kinds of patterns. I use it to make my own patterns from clothing that I love but are no longer good...or preserving purchased patterns that are getting tattered.
I use clothespins and/or skirt markers instead of pins to hold pieces together for sewing, unless they are very finicky. Much easier.
Have a 3/8" piece of medium density foam (I think it's packing from a computer box) under my sewing machine, that keeps it from "walking" (and as it extends out a few inches on the right, it's just in the right spot to work as a pincushion too).
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jprusky
Would you mind sharing with me your recipe for spray starch using corn starch? If it's an "old family secret" just say so and I'll understand. Thanks. Judy
Just Google Spray Starch. there are many different recipes.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by Judiw
Originally Posted by Riversong
My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
My LQS sells re-sharpened rotary blades for $2 when you turn your old one in. They are done on a special machine and not by them. I got one recently but have not used it yet, but figured it was worth a try. I will use it next.
Harbor Freignts Carpet cutter blades are cheaper...
No Harbor Freight within 100miles...I'll check the shipping but have wondered if the quality is the same...thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

I have read thru this entire thread and have gleaned some great ideas! I used to use that rubber shelf liner under the foot pedal on my machine, but have found that using an old mouse pad from my office works better on my slippery tile floor!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I have a very large heavy glass beer stein that I throw large cones of thread in that would not fit on my machine. So kind of like a spool holder. then I put it about 1 foot away behind my machine and sew or fill bobbins.
Great idea. I have been looking to buy a cone holder but it was 29.00. Thanks you just saved me money to buy more material. Gail
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM

I use dryer sheets in my fabric stash. I cut in half and put in between my fabric. That way it has a nice fresh smell when I use it.