Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

Bev
    Gosh, as I look around my quilting room I see tons of things I use that are re-purposed from the kitchen or garage or someplace else. I use an old wooden silverware caddy for keeping my important go-to tools in. It's right on my sewing table and has a handle so everything is transportable. I also use the wooden picks as stillettos, but I buy the short cocktail ones so I don't have to break them. I use a hand me down computer desk for baskets that hold all my larger items like rolls of fusible interfacing, lots of large plastic baggies, just uncountable amounts of stuff. Plus it has a rolling shelf which makes it super handy. Above it I use kitchen hooks to hold things I've bought that come in a package with a hole in it for hanging. That way I can see it all when I need it. I cover DH's large shoe boxes in pretty used wrapping paper and use them to hold patterns in their envelopes. My books are all stored on a rolling two sided library book truck (wagon) bought at a used library equipment sale. It rolls wherever I need it to be, and stores every one of my quilting books even though I have a ton of them. I found a very heavy duty cheese server with a cutting board in it (brand new condition, but in a thrift store for two dollars.) It has compartments for rows of Ritz and Saltine crackers. I super glued a small cutting mat on the board part, and keep a rotary cutter, small scissors, pin cushion, and other tiny things like needles, etc. This goes all over the house with me when I want to sit and cut small blocks or squares of fabric. I've never seen anything so perfectly suited for this task, and yet it's for serving cheese. There are many more items like these in my room, but it would take forever to list them. I'm a thrift shop, garage sale, junkie. 8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Dryer sheet for running my thread through when hand sewing.Love this topic!Will keep watching.
    How does this help your thread??
    I would imagine it makes the thread go through the fabric better.
    Cheaper than beeswax!

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    I keep a white plastic spoon in my storage can next to my machine. I hold it behind the machine needle; I can actually see the hole in the needle and thread it on the first try.
    I LOVE this simple idea! I fiddle with scraps of white paper and fabric, but am never quite satisfied with them. This is perfect! Why have I never thought of it???

8-)

Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    ... I found a very heavy duty cheese server with a cutting board in it (brand new condition, but in a thrift store for two dollars.) It has compartments for rows of Ritz and Saltine crackers. I super glued a small cutting mat on the board part, and keep a rotary cutter, small scissors, pin cushion, and other tiny things like needles, etc. This goes all over the house with me when I want to sit and cut small blocks or squares of fabric. I've never seen anything so perfectly suited for this task, and yet it's for serving cheese....
    Hi Bev- Could you post a picture of this so we all can be on the lookout for a similar one. Sounds like this would be great and I could really use something like this also. Thanks!

Banned
    I use the small cork hot pads when I'm doing quarter squae triangles to help hold the center points when I'm pinning the other sides.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    Quote Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
    I haven't actually used this yet, but since I'm in the midst of redoing my sewing room....I asked my DH for a peg board, but he didn't think I'd be happy with it (pegs coming out, etc.)...he suggested just penny nails in the wall...my idea...cover a board (any size you want) with fabric, THEN put the nails in that...much prettier, and sill EXTREMELY useful...I'm thinking my tools, patterns, thangle packages, endless possibilities! :)
    Some people don't like the look of a pegboard, but I LOVE mine :)

I use it so much, that I expanded the one 2'x4' area to fill an entire wall - more like a LQS. Having a small room that holds a lot, including a longarm, makes it invaluable. My large one holds patterns, all my longarming templates, rulers and tools, rolls of paper/interfacing, all large spools of thread (about 200), oil, and a multitude of other things. I have have some of the very long pegs put across the top, with acrylic sheets on them for shelves. Then I placed some magazine holders with my magazines I wanted to keep, and covered boxes to hold zippers, buttons, extra marking pens/pencils, and other things that are small. I adore my pegboard! Liking that one pegboard wall so much, I created an additional pegboard space near my cutting table for all those tools (rotary cutters, scissors, etc.) and other supplies that hang up. 'It's a good thing,' as Martha says :)

Debbie in Austin
    They sell white peg board too, that's what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by spark
    Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?
    How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Dryer sheet for running my thread through when hand sewing.Love this topic!Will keep watching.
    How does this help your thread??
    I would imagine it makes the thread go through the fabric better.
    Cheaper than beeswax!
    O.K. Heres an oldie but goodie, simply run the needle or pin through your hair 2 or 3 strokes, it will glide right thru the fabric unless rusted. Don't go too deep or you could scratch your scalp. The first time I did this not thinking about it in front of one of my sewing students, I had to explain and they were amazed at the results.

Blog Entries
    Yes, the cereal boxes for templates, never throw away a piece of cardboard or any clear plastic container that you can remove the labels from. They are useful in ways you can't imagine. The tissue boxes for machine-side catchers too. What a great lot of info. :)

Quote Originally Posted by everybody's mother
    Yes, the cereal boxes for templates, never throw away a piece of cardboard or any clear plastic container that you can remove the labels from. They are useful in ways you can't imagine. The tissue boxes for machine-side catchers too. What a great lot of info. :)
    I also buy the plastic reusable cutting surfaces. They make terrific template material and you get 2 for$1.00 at Dollar tree.

Secure the quilt back to the floor, or table, make the quilt sandwich. Slip the marble under the quilt back and gently roll it to the place that you are going to pin. I always start in the center. The marble holds the quilt up just enough to let you insert the pin without scratching the table or pinning your quilt to the rug. Just roll it to the next pin placement as you baste. It really works well, and it is so much easier to pin when the quilt is just a bit higher than your surface.

cka

I remembered 2 other ideas: I use the large paperclips for holding binding in place while I sew; also, I reuse the plastic zippered bags that bedding comes in. These are great for separating projects and storing finished tops or quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    I hope these qualify:
    I use a receipe card box for all of my quilting books. I write the title, author and then file them. I can keep better track of them, especially if I loan one out.
    I have a supply of lint rollers for rag quilts. They pick up all the loose threads faster than I can.
    I also have a mid-size mirror that I hang by my quilting frame. When I want to check the stitches on the back, I slide it under the quilt and can see how they look.
    Instead of lint rollers I get wide masking tape from Harbor Freight. Works real well and is cheaper.

I keep a white plastic spoon in my storage can next to my machine. I hold it behind the machine needle; I can actually see the hole in the needle and thread it on the first try.
    I LOVE this simple idea! I fiddle with scraps of white paper and fabric, but am never quite satisfied with them. This is perfect! Why have I never thought of it???

8-)
    I cut pieces of white plastic that are the right size to fit behind the needle. You are right, it makes all the difference.

8-)
    I cut pieces of white plastic that are the right size to fit behind the needle. You are right, it makes all the difference. Butter lids are great.

When threading a serger with dark thread, it is better to tie on a white thread and then pull it through all the loopers and hard to see places. Cut if off and thread your needle. I learned this in a shirt factory I used to work in.

Quote Originally Posted by spark
    How does that work?

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    ... I found a very heavy duty cheese server with a cutting board in it (brand new condition, but in a thrift store for two dollars.) It has compartments for rows of Ritz and Saltine crackers. I super glued a small cutting mat on the board part, and keep a rotary cutter, small scissors, pin cushion, and other tiny things like needles, etc. This goes all over the house with me when I want to sit and cut small blocks or squares of fabric. I've never seen anything so perfectly suited for this task, and yet it's for serving cheese....
    Hi Bev- Could you post a picture of this so we all can be on the lookout for a similar one. Sounds like this would be great and I could really use something like this also. Thanks!
    I don't have any way to post pictures not having a digital camera. But if my DGD comes over tomorrow I'll ask her to do it for me. She always has her camera with her. I'd like to though because this cheese thing is something I'd never seen in any thrift store before and I'd like someone else to find one exactly the same. 8-)

So many great ideas! Thanks, allof you. I guess necessity is really the Mother of Invention.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I use bamboo skewers as a "stilleto". I cut one in half and taped the cut end. Works great and is CHEAP!

I use freezer paper for appliqueing

I have a wire "tray" thing that our flatware came in to hold my rulers.

I bought old plastic flatware trays at thrift stores to hold my individual pieces.

I haven't got it finished yet, but I was able to find a 6 foot roller shade at a thrift store for $10.00. I bought some flannel and will glue the flannel to it. VOILA - a designer wall!!!!
    how did you hang the shade?

Peg boards are easy and pretty to cover in contact paper...

Quote Originally Posted by sewlady
    Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    I hope these qualify:
    I use a receipe card box for all of my quilting books. I write the title, author and then file them. I can keep better track of them, especially if I loan one out.
    I have a supply of lint rollers for rag quilts. They pick up all the loose threads faster than I can.
    I also have a mid-size mirror that I hang by my quilting frame. When I want to check the stitches on the back, I slide it under the quilt and can see how they look.
    Instead of lint rollers I get wide masking tape from Harbor Freight. Works real well and is cheaper.
    Harbor Freight also has a reusable lint roller. It is plastic with a sticky outside. It washes off with water and you can reuse it. Works great! There is plastic cover that slides over the roller part.

I use marbles when I am pinning my quilt togeather . But I put a couple underneath and that way I can move one one way and the other the other way. Makes it easier than having to keep moving just one all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
    I broke a springed clothes pin in half, use the flat part to open and hand press seams the way I want them to go. It keeps my finger from getting burned.
    Very clever!

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast