Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

[quote=nana pat]
    Quote Originally Posted by patdesign
    Quote Originally Posted by spark
    Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?
    I dont understand this one at all. :oops:
    She explains it on page 23!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NanSew
    HYDROGEN PEROXIDE removes blood on fabrics.
    It also removes scorched spots off of fabric. I have a travel mat for pressing at classes. I had the scorch mark of my travel iron on it. Someone on the board suggested hydrogen peroxide on the spot and then iron the spot while wet. My mat is clean again. Works great!!!

Blog Entries
    GCathie, I'd like to see a picture of the object your keeper made for you:) Mine is Great about helping out, but pictures are good for him!! I have a treadle table that had the hole cut for the machine and I wanted to use it just to set my Janome on it. DH put a pc of wood in the hole and to cover it I laid out scraps from my scrap box arranging them nicely, then I had the local glass co cut me a pc of plexi glass to fit over that. It is a great work space! My machine with the "quilting buddy" fit perfectly.

I don't understand, sounds interesting though. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    HYDROGEN PEROXIDE removes blood on fabrics.
    It also removes scorched spots off of fabric. I have a travel mat for pressing at classes. I had the scorch mark of my travel iron on it. Someone on the board suggested hydrogen peroxide on the spot and then iron the spot while wet. My mat is clean again. Works great!!!
    Good to know, thanks.

okay here is a photo of my tips
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will be trying this as mine looks pretty bad.

[quote=featherweight]
    Quote Originally Posted by nana pat
    Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?
    Went to page 23, didn't see it, there is something on pg. 22 but it still isn't clear to me what to do, how it works, or what the pupose is. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Anyone out there that can explaine it better?

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    okay here is a photo of my tips
    Wonderful tips! Thanks so much for showing these with the pictures. It really helps to clarify.

I love the method you're using to actually hang up the design wall fabric. What a great use for those little clips!

Everyone has such great tips - including the scorch remover (that was one I'd never heard, but oh, so glad to know!).

Debbie in Austin

Oh I have an old desk that had a hole cut out in the top...that is where I put my machine...this is so awesome....I have a flat top which makes it fantastic to sew on....I would recommend that to everyone....that flat area is soooooooo nice....not to mention all the drawer space

I would love a drop in for my machine but I have a front loading bobbin case. Any suggestions out there as to how I can accomplish this?

[quote=NanSew]
    I don't understand this one at all. :oops:
    Went to page 23, didn't see it, there is something on pg. 22 but it still isn't clear to me what to do, how it works, or what the purpose is. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Anyone out there that can explain it better?
    I'll help: it's easy if you just think about how and why you would use marbles. It's used for hand basting/hand pinning a quilt.

If you place the marbles, scattered about, under the backing of your layered quilt, they will create a hump everywhere there is a marble. This way, when you pin, you won't stick the pin into the carpet/flooring as the marbles have created an air space for you to use. Once that area is pinned, just push/roll them to the next area you want to pin, if there's no marbles in that place.

This is how my feeble brain would interrupt using the marbles. You could also use a lighting cover they sell at Home Depot that looks just like those grids sold for this purpose (and much more expensive). Or buy the grid made for this purpose. They all work basically the same by allowing a space for pinning to occur under the quilt layers, so you don't hit the flooring or pin your carpet to the quilt.

Hope this helps,
    Debbie in Austin

(P.S. Sometimes it's helpful to send a PM to the person who posted the hint, so they will see your message. If they don't revisit the topic, you may not get an explanation. Just my feeble thought anyway )

Nansew:I would love a drop in for my machine but I have a front loading bobbin case. Any suggestions out there as to how I can accomplish this?

How about the use of the desk but take the middle drawer front off so you can reach the bobbin case.....

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    Nansew:I would love a drop in for my machine but I have a front loading bobbin case. Any suggestions out there as to how I can accomplish this?

How about the use of the desk but take the middle drawer front off so you can reach the bobbin case.....
    I had wondered about that. I think I would have to keep a flashlight handy so I can see what I am doing...lol...worth a shot. Thanks.

[quote=dgmoby]
    Went to page 23, didn't see it, there is something on pg. 22 but it still isn't clear to me what to do, how it works, or what the purpose is. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Anyone out there that can explain it better?
    I'll help: it's easy if you just think about how and why you would use marbles. It's used for hand basting/hand pinning a quilt.

If you place the marbles, scattered about, under the backing of your layered quilt, they will create a hump everywhere there is a marble. This way, when you pin, you won't stick the pin into the carpet/flooring as the marbles have created an air space for you to use. Once that area is pinned, just push/roll them to the next area you want to pin, if there's no marbles in that place.

This is how my feeble brain would interrupt using the marbles. You could also use a lighting cover they sell at Home Depot that looks just like those grids sold for this purpose (and much more expensive). Or buy the grid made for this purpose. They all work basically the same by allowing a space for pinning to occur under the quilt layers, so you don't hit the flooring or pin your carpet to the quilt.

Hope this helps,
    Debbie in Austin

(P.S. Sometimes it's helpful to send a PM to the person who posted the hint, so they will see your message. If they don't revisit the topic, you may not get an explanation. Just my feeble thought anyway )
    I don't think your mind is feeble at all or maybe both of us are feeble minded because I understood your explanation perfectly. I like the idea of the light grid. Thanks for that tip too.

If you go to the toystore they usually have bags of marbles you can get for a dollar or two. The bigger marbles (shooter?)work better as they hold the fabric a little higher. I use the smaller ones in around the pots of of my plants lols Or you can always give them to your kids or grandkids to play with.

[quote=dgmoby]

Hope this helps,
    Debbie in Austin

You explained it perfect. It would sure keep you from pinning the quilt to the carpet.

gcathy,
    Thank you so much for the pics. WOW love the ideas.

I haven't seen this yet...I've gone to the hardware store and purchased clear tubing. I then cut it into segments just wide enough to fit the inside rim of my bobbins. Then I cut the 'circle' apart in one place so that I can pull it apart to put on the bobbin. I like them because they are clear and I can see what color of thread is on the bobbin.

Blog Entries
    this is how I keep bobbins with the right spools
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by carol45
    Very awesome idea!!! Thanks.

may i ask how do you take cornstarch and make spray starch please explain i am realy interested sorry for garging in like that

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by carol45
    Love it! Gonna rush out and buy some of those screws. Can you give me size to purchase?
    Maybe I can even raid DH's tool shed. :x

[quote=nana pat]
    Nan, I sent you a PM.

On the bed of my sewing machine, next to the foot/needle area, I taped a magnetic business card upside down (magnet side facing up) to catch pins as I remove them when I sew. Then they don't go rolling around and falling on the floor as often.

When I machine quilt, I take it off and just tape it back when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    On the bed of my sewing machine, next to the foot/needle area, I taped a magnetic business card upside down (magnet side facing up) to catch pins as I remove them when I sew. Then they don't go rolling around and falling on the floor as often.

When I machine quilt, I take it off and just tape it back when I'm done.
    Will this harm the computerized machines?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast