Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

Quote Originally Posted by TN Donna
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    After reading many of these posts, I just decided to add my idea. I take a recipe card (3x5) and write the topic on it and the page I have finished reading. Then if I don't get to read all the posts, I know where to pick up. When I go back, I start on the page I left off and then cross it off when I move on. When I have to quit reading, I write down the page number again etc. I have about 3 topics on each side of card. Some of the posts are over 50 pages long so I have not yet come to the end but at least I know what I have read. Hope that is clear. Some days I have the compulsion to sew instead of reading all these wonderful topics. :-) Great thread!

I have them sent to my inbox
    :oops: How do you do that?

From the office supply store: I bought a pkg of the nubbed nubber finger thingees. Great to scrap off loose threads when you have to rip out stitches and have the tiny thread ends to get rip off. Could use masking tape to do this, but I found the tape pulls the fab too much.

I design quilts on my EQ5. I print out a pic of the quilt, put it in a page protector and then auditioin quilting designs using a dry erase marker.

I didn't find this item in my house, but it works! I purchased a set of bed raisers, plastic boxes that raise you bed for underbed storage. These are now under my super quilter table and no more back ache! Got them from Mary Maxim and they came in 3 sizes. 3", 5" and 6". 3 and 5 can be used together for 8".

While cleaning out a closet yesterday I found one of those basins that they give you in the hospital. I use these in cabinets to organize shampoo,deodorant, etc. and thought why not use one to keep my fat quarters together. Sure enough it works and I can just pull on the basin and not send the fabric flying. I like the idea so much I may have to find another way to keep the shampoo, etc. in order; so I'm robbing one closet to organize my quilting. Hey it seems like the right thing to do.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee
    While cleaning out a closet yesterday I found one of those basins that they give you in the hospital. I use these in cabinets to organize shampoo,deodorant, etc. and thought why not use one to keep my fat quarters together. Sure enough it works and I can just pull on the basin and not send the fabric flying. I like the idea so much I may have to find another way to keep the shampoo, etc. in order; so I'm robbing one closet to organize my quilting. Hey it seems like the right thing to do.
    You don't mean the one they give you to "sit on" do you?
    :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    No, the one they give you to wash up while you are confined to the bed. Can't think of anything to do with the ones you "sit on" and even if I could I don't think I'd want to. That is one item, while it serves a purpose, that I really really don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie
    I didn't find this item in my house, but it works! I purchased a set of bed raisers, plastic boxes that raise you bed for underbed storage. These are now under my super quilter table and no more back ache! Got them from Mary Maxim and they came in 3 sizes. 3", 5" and 6". 3 and 5 can be used together for 8".
    Just saw a set of these at the thrift store this morning. The price was $6.95.

When I joined there was a question and I answered yes. I am computer dumb so I don't know how to go back to it.

What great ideas everyone has! Some of them I have been doing, some I certainly will start doing, some I will try out ASAP.

I have 2 that I have not seen posted. I purchased a small (8 1/2" x 11") magnetic dry erase board and some heavy duty magnets to put on it since the magnetic surface was not strong enough for what I wanted it to do. I use these magnets to hold small scissors, threaded needles, pins and thimble in a small metal candy box, stitch ripper, magnetic needle nest, 6" metal ruler, etc. I can take this with me when I know I will have a lengthy wait time in the car or elsewhere so I can continue my hand quilting away from home. I can't stand to sit and do nothing. Have even taken it when visiting with friends who understand that I can talk and quilt at the same time.

The second thing I purchased was a tilt-top, height-adjustable computer stand (top is approximately 14" x 19") that rolls and has small ledges on each long side to keep the computer from sliding off. I put a larger magnetic dry erase board on this tilted top and positioned it at its lowest level to hold the same quilting supplies I just mentioned when I sit at my Z-type quilting frame. The frame is 10' long and approximately 3' deep. That way the small rolling tilted table can be rolled along the length with me, keeping everything close at hand. When I have to stop quilting, the table rolls under the quilt top that is on the frame to be out of sight and out of the way so that the narrow space between the frame and the desk can be used. I need a much bigger sewing space since all my supplies are scattered all over the house. I cut in the garage, sew in the kitchen, quilt in the living room. My material is stored in bins on shelves in the living room, in bins in the laundry room and storeroom, and batting rolls are in the closets. I have laughing told my children I'm going to build myself a new house that has only 1 room other than the bathroom so that all my quilt supplies will be in the same room on wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling shelving. The kitchen can hug the walls and be out of the way of my quilting!!

My mind has to be slipping because I have actually begun trying to graph out such a house. I'm convinced I do not need a sofa and other living room furniture. Comfortable rolling chairs at the quilting frame and the sewing table would suffice for visitors if I build in window seating. Now if I could just decide how to keep the clutter under control I might try just that. Can you tell my mind wanders freely when I'm sitting in the car waiting to pick my grandchild up from school? This hobby I started in order to relax and have fun in my last years has become an obsession. But I LOVE it!!!! This board is my therapy and gives me much encouragement. I still consider myself to be a newby. Wish I knew how to take pictures and post to this site but that technology may be beyond me. I'll have to talk to my 8-year old granddaughter. She would come closer to being able to do that than I would.

OOPS! There I go--being way to 'chatty' again. Sorry!

LOL I have been trying to convince DH that we don't need the living room, and since my super quilter is housed there I might just as well move out the rest of the sewing room....
    Quote Originally Posted by mamagee
    What great ideas everyone has! Some of them I have been doing, some I certainly will start doing, some I will try out ASAP.

I have 2 that I have not seen posted. I purchased a small (8 1/2" x 11") magnetic dry erase board and some heavy duty magnets to put on it since the magnetic surface was not strong enough for what I wanted it to do. I use these magnets to hold small scissors, threaded needles, pins and thimble in a small metal candy box, stitch ripper, magnetic needle nest, 6" metal ruler, etc. I can take this with me when I know I will have a lengthy wait time in the car or elsewhere so I can continue my hand quilting away from home. I can't stand to sit and do nothing. Have even taken it when visiting with friends who understand that I can talk and quilt at the same time.

The second thing I purchased was a tilt-top, height-adjustable computer stand (top is approximately 14" x 19") that rolls and has small ledges on each long side to keep the computer from sliding off. I put a larger magnetic dry erase board on this tilted top and positioned it at its lowest level to hold the same quilting supplies I just mentioned when I sit at my Z-type quilting frame. The frame is 10' long and approximately 3' deep. That way the small rolling tilted table can be rolled along the length with me, keeping everything close at hand. When I have to stop quilting, the table rolls under the quilt top that is on the frame to be out of sight and out of the way so that the narrow space between the frame and the desk can be used. I need a much bigger sewing space since all my supplies are scattered all over the house. I cut in the garage, sew in the kitchen, quilt in the living room. My material is stored in bins on shelves in the living room, in bins in the laundry room and storeroom, and batting rolls are in the closets. I have laughing told my children I'm going to build myself a new house that has only 1 room other than the bathroom so that all my quilt supplies will be in the same room on wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling shelving. The kitchen can hug the walls and be out of the way of my quilting!!

My mind has to be slipping because I have actually begun trying to graph out such a house. I'm convinced I do not need a sofa and other living room furniture. Comfortable rolling chairs at the quilting frame and the sewing table would suffice for visitors if I build in window seating. Now if I could just decide how to keep the clutter under control I might try just that. Can you tell my mind wanders freely when I'm sitting in the car waiting to pick my grandchild up from school? This hobby I started in order to relax and have fun in my last years has become an obsession. But I LOVE it!!!! This board is my therapy and gives me much encouragement. I still consider myself to be a newby. Wish I knew how to take pictures and post to this site but that technology may be beyond me. I'll have to talk to my 8-year old granddaughter. She would come closer to being able to do that than I would.

OOPS! There I go--being way to 'chatty' again. Sorry!

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    great topic!

No, the one they give you to wash up while you are confined to the bed. Can't think of anything to do with the ones you "sit on" and even if I could I don't think I'd want to. That is one item, while it serves a purpose, that I really really don't like.
    Those are the ones I leave IN the hospital room.

:roll: :roll:

Well I did move my sewing center into the living room. We have a long living room and my husband has half and I have the other half. Since it just the 2 of us it works wonderful. I am always in the same room with him and enjoy it very much. Its just not big enough to house all my fabric and cutting table but can't have everything. Need to get up once in awhile

I use a white candle and run my thread over it. It keeps the thread from knotting up when I am hand sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG

Agree, in fact I don't even like knowing they are in the room. But the wash basins make neat little bins on my shelf and I can just pull them out and check on which fat quarters I need or want to use.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG

When I think of something, I'll be sure to let you know. :D

I use used dryer sheets for foundation peicing.
    Flower pots for storing rolled fat quarters.
    I have an old stereo cabinet that my dh turned into a changing table when we were fostering. It is now great for storing my baskets of "things" and my fabric!
    I use an old file cabinet to store small items that I have made for crafts fairs.

A friend on the QB sent me a daily med keeper for the storage of bobbins, works great. I use three of them and the area left I keep various sewing stuff in.

I have several pretty flower pots for cutters and scissors and snips to be within easy reach, I use chop sticks, and I save all the little cups that coffee creamer comes in to use for fray block when I applique. Then just toss them. I love that clothespin tip and will use that right away, I'm tired of singed fingers too.

Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    I have several pretty flower pots for cutters and scissors and snips to be within easy reach, I use chop sticks, and I save all the little cups that coffee creamer comes in to use for fray block when I applique. Then just toss them. I love that clothespin tip and will use that right away, I'm tired of singed fingers too.
    How do you use the coffee creamer cups for fray block in applique?

I use the cloths made for the Swifter. They pick up lint and never bother anything else. My sister gave me this idea.
    Did you know you can wash the Swifter cloths and re-use them? Discovered this by accident when one turned up in the dryer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    I use the cloths made for the Swifter. They pick up lint and never bother anything else. My sister gave me this idea.
    Did you know you can wash the Swifter cloths and re-use them? Discovered this by accident when one turned up in the dryer!
    I cut up old towels to use in my Swiffer and just serge the edges. Then I don't have to spend money on the replacement cloths and I can wash them.

Blog Entries
    Someone earlier on this topic was using a dish drainrack for storing their cutting rulers.

I went to Fred Meyers and bought a nice dark chromed $10 dish drainrack to store mine in. Oh my! What a wonderful idea. I can place several rulers in each slot for a dish and I store all of my little ones in the silverware tray. It is right next to my cutting mat. In the past I have always looked around to place my ruler down in between adjusting fabric or doing something else. Now I know exactly where to put and where it is when I am ready to cut again.

Also, I have been using the plastic see thru containers that packs of Crystal Lite come in. I have one set up for my portable embroidery with the necessry threads, small scissor snips, needle and my needle threader (which I seem to need now a days. I have another one for my eraseable marker pens, tweezers, seam ripper, etc. Very handy. The snap on lid stays on quite nicely.

Oh yeah, the grip on handle on the ruler in the photo is from Harbor Freight. Really a lot less expensive than in Joanne's or Quilting shops.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bev
    [quote=SewExtreme]Someone earlier on this topic was using a dish drainrack for storing their cutting rulers.
    I went to Fred Meyers and bought a nice dark chromed $10 dish drainrack to store mine in. Oh my! What a wonderful idea. I can place several rulers in each slot for a dish and I store all of my little ones in the silverware tray. It is right next to my cutting mat. In the past I have always looked around to place my ruler down in between adjusting fabric or doing something else. Now I know exactly where to put and where it is when I am ready to cut again.quote]

I looked very closely at your dishrack - ruler holder and think it's a wonderful idea! Kudos to the person who came up with this!
    I'm going to get one today. It will eliminate all the different things I now use that sit on top of my cutting table sopping up space :-) Everything that's now stored in several containers will simply be placed in the one rack. Thanks a million!! 8-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bev. I don't know how well the photo turned out but I have about 15 rulers in the main part of the rack and another 6 small ones in the untensil holder. I absolutely love it. The dark chrome makes it look stylish also, kinda like it was made for such a use.

The original poster had a terrific idea. :-D

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast