Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

What a fantastic question. Its early so my brain isn't on total function yet.
    Recipe box Large size to hold computer program CD's
    mole foam--cut a small strip and stick to your machine bed for a seam guide. Just measure your exact 1/4" and lay the mole foam down.
    Mole foam square on front of machine to hold pins as I take them out of a project.
    Pizza boxes (I buy them from the pizza place) for storing blocks in progress
    Plastic knife to close pins when basting a quilt
    Ziplock bags to transport projects to work on in waiting rooms etc.
    Thats all I can think of right now. Thanks everyone for sharing their "other use" hints.

Also the freezer paper, you iron the shiny side to your fabric and then cut out the applique pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    The paper you mentioned is parchment paper and it can be used for anything for which you need an ironingsheet. Because it's non-stick, it's especially good for any fusible applications, - applique as you mentioned is one.

lots of folks use a spoon, especially a grapefruit spoon as the tool to help put in quilting safety pins...holds the fabric down as you push the pin thru - the serrations on the graprfruit spoon can help keep the pointed end of the pin from moving around when you try to close it.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I use chopsticks when I turn things right side out after sewing. They poke the corners out nicely.
    ditto..aren't they great !!

Can't eat a thing with them but they I get a lot of use from them in my sewing room..........

I use a Bagel Cutter to hold my rulers.

This is one of the best questions on this blog - Thanks for all of the ideas ; the ones I use have been mentioned and I think it is great to see them in print

I use a sticky roller lint remover to clean up little bits of thread; a nylon scrubby to clean adhesive from my teflon ironing sheet; and an old metal crochet hook to pull things through - like when threading my machine or putting on a zipper - I pull the zipper pull out of the way of my stitches.

Hi--This is a great forum! I've been reading posts for a couple of weeks, and have learned lots of good things. I just registered now so I could add my ideas to this post.

I use a tie holder with 11 little wood pegs to hang my scissors on.

I found an old cassette tape holder at Goodwill, spray painted it white, and use it to hold thin spools of ribbon.

My cutting table is a 30x50 desk that really didn't function well as a desk (basically just 4 legs with a top and a small drawer), but it works great for cutting fabric.

Wow! How neat! I love this site!

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    Lots have mentioned fabric softener sheets too...and I forgot I use them also. We can't use fabric softener because my middle son cannot have it near his skin. But my next door neighbor has the pretties smelling laundry. I have been known to stand under her door and inhale when the children are driving me more nuts than usual. I get used dryer sheets from her and sew them to the right side of my labels. Then, I cut an X in the FABRIC SOFTENER ONLY, don't ask me why I capitalized that....and turn it inside out. Then the fabric softener is on the bottom and the label is on the top. The edges are already turned under and I can attach it to the quilt...that and my hands smelly really nice when I'm done.

:-)
    I have used coffee filters in the same way.

Wow! What a great idea!

Blog Entries
    I use the bed raiser things to raise my up cutting table. Much better on the back. I also use a small wood shelf that I bought at Michaels that has pegs for hanging things under neath. I hang scissors, cutters, and templates (use fine ribbon) over my cutting table. put pincushion, thimbles, small stuff on the shelf. my cutting table is a cheapo computer desk that my dh cut a piece of plywood bigger that my self healing mat for the top, and I put my different rulers for cutting on the keyboard shelf, that retracts under the table.

I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

Could you please share with us how you do this? Saving money = more money to spend at Houston Quilt Festival!!! I'm also almost out of spray starch....

Thanks!

My sewing room is in my basement, so when I needed a second pincushion, I went over to the the kids toy area and grabbed a Furby. Makes a great pin cushion,stands on the table and is small.(the kids are older, they don't mind)

I discovered that my sewing machine with the expanded base fits perfectly on the keyboard shelf of an old corner computer desk I dont use anymore. Its like having a custom sewing table.

I use a glass next to my machine to hold cut threads, and squares of batting to hold threads by the longarm. When they are covered, I chuck them. (can you tell I have a thread problem!!)

I use a plastic magazine holder to house my cutting rulers and patterns I intend to use "one of these days."

I use a parmeasan cheese shaker jar for cones of thread, but I butt it up to the back of my machine. The cover keeps it from jumping. Use the center hole to guide the thread out. Great to have on hand even if you use it just for bobbins.

My favorite old coffee mug recently cracked, now it holds small rulers, marking pencils and my turner which happens to be a small aluminum knitting needle.

I use the spice rubs that come in tins and when labels are removed and they are cleaned they make great holders for bobbins, machine feet.

A thrift store find was a silver plate bread basket (wire type) Holds small scraps next to machine on sewing table, bottom is nice so doesn't scratch cabinet, and colors showing through wires are pretty.

Bamboo cutting board to raise portable up to right level in machine table, also doubles as pressing surface with an old t shirt cover for iron on transfers.

Nylon netting strip sewn down thru center and gathered and tied off makes a great tool for grabbing loose threads off floors, carpet.

Zip loks for small templates storage

Vintage small china saucers to hold pins, bobbins, presser foot when using walking foot, etc' right at the side of the machine.

The metal mesh pencil and stuff holders holders used for office stuff, are narrow enough to sit on my window sill, holds scissors, more rulers, ball points etc.

Old tea tin for holding pkgs of machine needles. Mine is tall enough to hold those packs that are about 5 inches high

Those little silica packets used to absorb moisture are great when storing anything that might rust like machine feet, needles, pins etc, I never toss those out.

My DH says Iam a packrat, but I love to re-purpose stuff and am always looking for ways.

LOVED all your suggestions!

I use:
    - a sliverware try in the drawers to organize small supplies
    - a 2"x3" ziplock bag I found first at the candy-making store and then in jewelry supplies that I put the spool of thread and matching bobbin in, so I don't have to guess which bobbin goes with which thread!
    - a soft artist's paintbrush to clean the bobbin area
    - zip lock freezer bags (gallon size are great) for WIP
    - painter's tape (all widths) for quilting lines
    - sandpaper to hold fabric steady when I trace templates, or write a label
    - pop top vitamin bottle to hold old needles
    - frezzer paper as a stabilizer for applique and machine embroidery
    - pipe cleaner to put through the cone of large thread to attach its correct bobbin
    - dryer sheets to clean the iron

I am working on a quilt with 9 different block designs. I precut all the fabric, and put the fabric for each block in a zipperlock freezer bag, then labeled the bag with masking tape "Block 1", etc. for whatever block it was for. When I've sewn the blocks, I remove the tape and the bag is reusable. I hang finished blocks with pant hangers from the department store, and cover them with a plastic grocery bag (with the open end on the bottom, cut a small hole in the top to slip over the hanger) to keep them from the dust, light, etc.

Blog Entries
    Great info as usual

I use a hanging shoe storage panel,purchased at a discount store for 3 bucks, to store gizmos and gadgets. The pockets are clear, the backing is lightweight and it has grommets at the top for hanging.

I also b uy the makeup brush kits from the dollar store for sewing. These allot me enough brushes to put some in my travel bag for sewing group and have soem a tthe two different sewing stations. And, they come in a variety of sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
    My LQS sells re-sharpened rotary blades for $2 when you turn your old one in. They are done on a special machine and not by them. I got one recently but have not used it yet, but figured it was worth a try. I will use it next.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAlice
    My sewing room is in my basement, so when I needed a second pincushion, I went over to the the kids toy area and grabbed a Furby. Makes a great pin cushion,stands on the table and is small.(the kids are older, they don't mind)

I discovered that my sewing machine with the expanded base fits perfectly on the keyboard shelf of an old corner computer desk I dont use anymore. Its like having a custom sewing table.

I use a glass next to my machine to hold cut threads, and squares of batting to hold threads by the longarm. When they are covered, I chuck them. (can you tell I have a thread problem!!)
    I saw an idea for thread and small scraps for bird lovers. Put in a hanging basket and the birds take them for nests. I have been putting mine in a plastic bag hanging by the cutting table to remind me and will do that in the spring.

Another paper that is really all purpose is that awful paper you sit on on the Dr.'s table. If you know the staff at the office ask them if they have any short rolls or maybe one that was soiled when they got it. It is thin enought to use for tracing and stiff enough to hold up for designing and patterns. Helps if the nurse is a quilter too.

I use the very small pony tail holders that are purchased at Family Dollar for $1.00 for 300 to put around my bobbins to hold the thread. I also purchase my rotary blades at Harbor Freight. They are $1.99 for 2 blades and work great. They are in the carpet department.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast