Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

Could you please share with us how you do this? Saving money = more money to spend at Houston Quilt Festival!!! I'm also almost out of spray starch....

Thanks!
    Here is one of the recipes,. You can Google many more.http://frugalliving.about.com/od/col...ray_Starch.htm

I purchased a magnetic car dish to put my pins so they don't get lost. Keep it far away from computerized machine. I also use Tic Tac containers to use as bobbin holder while I am binding a quilt. Don't loose the bobbin in the quilt. I use pizza boxes and any empty container that will work for holding pieces or blocks. Sure like this idea of sharing.

Kate in Anchorage shared about using parchment paper for an applique sheet and/or pressing -- thank you. That makes such perfect sense I wonder why I never thought of that before!

Years ago I got an orange peeler as a give-away gift at a Tupperware party and have kept it in my box of notions -- it looks like a crochet hook but flat on one end. Good for pushing out points, etc -- now I also have a pair of chopsticks for the same use.

LOVE this board!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judiw
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
    My LQS sells re-sharpened rotary blades for $2 when you turn your old one in. They are done on a special machine and not by them. I got one recently but have not used it yet, but figured it was worth a try. I will use it next.
    Harbor Freignts Carpet cutter blades are cheaper...

I use lots of the items mention here. Just one comes to mind that I didn't see. Our LQS also sells candy.(very handy!) I use the plastic trays that bulk assortments come in for storage. Buttons, beads, crystals and lots more are easy to find and they stack nicely. 3 stack nicely in a big cookie tin. I have also seen these trays in other stores selling mixed nuts around the holidays. I love that the lid snaps on tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by mjorgenson
    Another paper that is really all purpose is that awful paper you sit on on the Dr.'s table. If you know the staff at the office ask them if they have any short rolls or maybe one that was soiled when they got it. It is thin enought to use for tracing and stiff enough to hold up for designing and patterns. Helps if the nurse is a quilter too.
    Another great paper is Masking Paper, comes in different widths and is great for patterns. Find it a auto supply stores.
    I'll bet good old Harbor Freight has it too!! I will check.

Blog Entries
    I use alot of cookie cutters for my designs on top of quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I also use a bamboo skewer as a stilleto.

I take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a small piece of cardboard and duct tape to the back for holding blocks in place for either signing (siggie) or drawing lines from cornor to cornor.

I stole my dh's 48" t-square for cutting larger pieces of fabric.

I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

How much corn starch do you use? Do you put it in a spray bottle? I am very interested. Thanks.

I use an old ceramic cookie jar for all my fabric pens and markers.

LOVING this question. I don't have a lot, but my favorite thing is an old drafting table that I got from work when they sold off some old furniture. It's a GREAT cutting table...I put it on those lift thingys, and it has 2 drawers as well! :) I'm loving reading all of these ideas, and since my room is completely empty right now (just got new floor and paint), I can't WAIT to try some of these ideas when I'm reorganizing and putting my room back together! :) THANKS to all for the wonderful ideas!

Blog Entries
    Would you mind sharing with me your recipe for spray starch using corn starch? If it's an "old family secret" just say so and I'll understand. Thanks. Judy

Blog Entries
    I've bookmarked this thread and will use a lot of the ideas! These are great!

I use the larger binder clips to sort and store leftover fabric strips

Un-bent paperclips (the large, plastic-coated ones) as hooks for my rulers and other tools that can hung. I hang these from cup hooks inserted into the wall.

I'm using furniture from my mom's house as my sewing and cutting tables (mom's desk is my sewing table, and I use the 3 drawers to store scissors and cutters, pins, and other notions.

I have a thread rack that I picked up at a moving sale for my better thread (the cheap stuff is in a drawer)

I use a queen-size flannel sheet taped to a piece of pegboard as my design wall (the entire sheet set was 15.00)

gallon-sized ziplocks for all sorts of things.

Oh, I am just loving these great tips from everyone! I am in the process of re-purposing my computer-reading room to incorporate my sewing machine so I am really appreciating the space saving tips. Please keep them coming.

Now that's one I've never heard before. Great, I'll try it.

I hope these qualify:
    I use a receipe card box for all of my quilting books. I write the title, author and then file them. I can keep better track of them, especially if I loan one out.
    I have a supply of lint rollers for rag quilts. They pick up all the loose threads faster than I can.
    I also have a mid-size mirror that I hang by my quilting frame. When I want to check the stitches on the back, I slide it under the quilt and can see how they look.

Freezer paper is great for all kinds of patterns. I use it to make my own patterns from clothing that I love but are no longer good...or preserving purchased patterns that are getting tattered.
    I use clothespins and/or skirt markers instead of pins to hold pieces together for sewing, unless they are very finicky. Much easier.
    Have a 3/8" piece of medium density foam (I think it's packing from a computer box) under my sewing machine, that keeps it from "walking" (and as it extends out a few inches on the right, it's just in the right spot to work as a pincushion too).

Quote Originally Posted by jprusky
    Would you mind sharing with me your recipe for spray starch using corn starch? If it's an "old family secret" just say so and I'll understand. Thanks. Judy
    Just Google Spray Starch. there are many different recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Judiw
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
    My LQS sells re-sharpened rotary blades for $2 when you turn your old one in. They are done on a special machine and not by them. I got one recently but have not used it yet, but figured it was worth a try. I will use it next.
    Harbor Freignts Carpet cutter blades are cheaper...
    No Harbor Freight within 100miles...I'll check the shipping but have wondered if the quality is the same...thanks

I have read thru this entire thread and have gleaned some great ideas! I used to use that rubber shelf liner under the foot pedal on my machine, but have found that using an old mouse pad from my office works better on my slippery tile floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I have a very large heavy glass beer stein that I throw large cones of thread in that would not fit on my machine. So kind of like a spool holder. then I put it about 1 foot away behind my machine and sew or fill bobbins.
    Great idea. I have been looking to buy a cone holder but it was 29.00. Thanks you just saved me money to buy more material. Gail

I use dryer sheets in my fabric stash. I cut in half and put in between my fabric. That way it has a nice fresh smell when I use it.

I use a long magnetic strip my DH got at HD. I think it is used for screw drivers but I use it for my all my sissers It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Dryer sheet for running my thread through when hand sewing.Love this topic!Will keep watching.
    What does the dryer sheet do for thread when hand sewing. Gail

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I also use a bamboo skewer as a stilleto.

I take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a small piece of cardboard and duct tape to the back for holding blocks in place for either signing (siggie) or drawing lines from cornor to cornor.

I stole my dh's 48" t-square for cutting larger pieces of fabric.

I use an old ceramic cookie jar for all my fabric pens and markers.
    I also use a t-square for squaring up my quilts and wall hangings. Gail

Blog Entries
    I have an 18" magnetic knife rack attached to the wall behind my sewing machine. This holds all sorts of things: screwdrivers, seam rippers, scissors, needle threader, presser feet, bobbins, and even a mechanical pencil - anything with metal, basically.

I also recently found an old bakers' rack, the kind used to rise bread or transport bread to stores at a yard sale, for $5. Some Rustoleum paint made it like new. A sheet of pegboard yielded 8 shelves with 2 smaller pieces left over. This wheeled rack will hold fabric and WIPs

Old prescription bottles hold used or broken sewing machine needles until they are needed instead of nails for hanging pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    Check out this blog...she has it down to almost a science!

Makes a trip to Lowe's ALOT more fun! LoL!

sewmanyways.blogspot.com
    Great blog. I'm following now.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast