Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

I use the little plastic containers that baby food comes in and electrical tape containers for storing pins or whatever. You can see through them. I have suppliers for these, my daughter in law and the guys at work. I take them to guild meetings and they are snatched up.

Blog Entries
    I'm saving our empty prescrition bottles (with the label removed) to store things in. I just haven't decided which things. lol

I use a clean dishwashing liquid bottle to fill my steam iron. I take to to class with me for filling my travel iron,It takes a lot of refilling as it is so small. I use pillow cases to store my WIP projects.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Use an 8x10, L-shape, free standing, clear plastic picture holder to put my working quilt directions in so they are 'standing up', easy to read and find. They don't get lost in the pile of fabric.
    Oooh, I hadn't heard that one before. Great idea! :thumbup:

I am using an entertainment center and use the DVD stand-up drawers to hold my fat quarters. I use the center cupboard to store othe sizes of fabric and the top as a project layout area. I am working on several different projects and they are right there waiting to be picked up.

I love this strand as I am a newbie and these are wonderful ideas. Thanks everyone!

How about sand paper to trace pieces, especially small ones -- keeps the fabric from shifting. does anyone actually cut individual pieces anymore? I use a rotary cutter for just about everthng -- but in the old days ... I used a lot of sandpaper for templates.

Mary

Love all the different ideas. I needed a lartger area to hold my quilt; so got our spare table that we got at Mendards (legs fold up) and placed this in front of my machine. Works great for holding my quilt.

I use cookie cutters for applique patterns. they are easy to draw around and have simple lines that are easy to satin stitch around. For rounded corners on borders, I find a plate or pan lids make excellent circle patterns. There are lots of different size circles in a a kitchen. I also use empty prescription bottles with teh child proof caps to dispose my bent pins and dull needles safely. Spoons make a great feather quilting pattern. Baby food jars are great for storing buttons, snaps, beads....things you need to see the color but they need to be contained. Everyone has some great ideas.

I'm a diabetic and have to keep glucose tablets around. They come in a tube container that just fits my sewing machine bobbins. Each container holds around 10.

I bought a file rack to store my rulers in. It was considerably cheaper than the ones sold in quilt magazines, shops, etc. and it really works well and keeps them organized.

Wow, I love all the tips being shared here. Here's my "2cents" to add(haha): 1.a pencil box to store my rotary cutter in 2.Gerber plastic tubs to store pins,beads,embellishments,etc in. 3.bamboo skewer poke corners out. 4.antique school desk for my sewing machine. 5.terrycloth ponytail holders on my bobbins. 6.shoe boxes & gift shirt boxes for storing fabric scraps & strips. 7.flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth from dollar store for quilt layouts. 8.empty Hershey's cocoa powder container/coffeemug/coffee can for pens,pencils,markers,etc..9.large empty cereal boxes, trimmed, to hold quilt magazines. 10.Love to use heart-shaped candy boxes from Valentine's Day for heart templates.............Well, there you have it...some of my uses of nonquilting items, put to use for my quilting habit:)...:)

I have a drafting table with magnifying lamp attachment that now works great for rotary fabric cutting & seam ripping lighting & magnification.

I use chops sticks at sewing machine to quide fabric. freezer paper. kitchen turn table to hold supplies. I use hemostats frequently to hold needle in place as well as to help me thread needle. I used my husband's white hankies for pressing cloths. towels for pressing mats. I have 'stolen" my husband 5 foot metal ruler on occasion.

Blog Entries
    Instead of using sticky tape to take the lint off my quilt top, I have one of those old fashioned lint brushes where the head turns around so you can brush left or right. The surface is like velvet only rougher. It picks up the lint and stray threads without leaving a residue on my fabric. AND there are no disposables to throw out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I use a clean dishwashing liquid bottle to fill my steam iron. I take to to class with me for filling my travel iron,It takes a lot of refilling as it is so small. I use pillow cases to store my WIP projects.
    I use a water bottle for the same thing. If I get thirsty, I can always take a swig!

Quote Originally Posted by tincan
    I use Painter's blue tape to secure back of small quilts to table. Holds good but doesn't stick enough to damage anything. No wrinkles when I pin together.
    Thank you... Have blue painter's tape left over from painting the new addition :D

Quote Originally Posted by Elliotsgreatgrandma
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Dryer sheet for running my thread through when hand sewing.Love this topic!Will keep watching.
    What does the dryer sheet do for thread when hand sewing. Gail
    Along the same line, how do you use a dryer sheet to clean an iron? Thanks

Old prescription bottles hold used or broken sewing machine needles until they are needed instead of nails for hanging pictures.[/quote]

Lol, I do the same thing!

I like to keep several needles threaded at the same time so I use a round magnet with a hole in it to hold the needles. I can use one, put the needle back on the magnet and reach for the next one. When I am sewing different colors it is really great, too.

I use the cloths made for the Swifter. They pick up lint and never bother anything else. My sister gave me this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    These are great ideas. I'm still fairly young, but my knees are shot. I often have to con the boys into picking pins up off the floor for me because mommy can't reach them. This would fix that...and save me a ton in skittles and M&M's!
    Hey Lowe's has a telescoping magnetic tool that the boys use when they drop stuff in tight places. It is a great tool for dropped things as it has a fairly strong magnet. You can pick up things as heavy as scissors too.

I use a febreeze lint roller sheet and tape it to my sewing table with blue painters tape. When I have to rip something out I use my tweezers to pick out the thread and put them on the lint sheet. it not only grabs the threads but it smells good every time I tap my tweezers on it... :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by MarySews
    How about sand paper to trace pieces, especially small ones -- keeps the fabric from shifting. does anyone actually cut individual pieces anymore? I use a rotary cutter for just about everthng -- but in the old days ... I used a lot of sandpaper for templates.

Mary
    I'm doing the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt with others here on this Board. Many of us are doing templates. The blocks are 6 1/2", so are pretty small (at least for me). Have not made templates since I first started quilting in the last 70's!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

Could you please share with us how you do this? Saving money = more money to spend at Houston Quilt Festival!!! I'm also almost out of spray starch....

Thanks!
    check out http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-34781-1.htm
    for homemade starch

Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    These are great ideas. I'm still fairly young, but my knees are shot. I often have to con the boys into picking pins up off the floor for me because mommy can't reach them. This would fix that...and save me a ton in skittles and M&M's!
    Hey Lowe's has a telescoping magnetic tool that the boys use when they drop stuff in tight places. It is a great tool for dropped things as it has a fairly strong magnet. You can pick up things as heavy as scissors too.
    Harbor Freight has one that compresses to about 6". It is really cheap!

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast