Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Household items turned quilting notions? >

Household items turned quilting notions?

Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 AM

I use a sticky roller lint remover to clean up little bits of thread; a nylon scrubby to clean adhesive from my teflon ironing sheet; and an old metal crochet hook to pull things through - like when threading my machine or putting on a zipper - I pull the zipper pull out of the way of my stitches.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 AM

Hi--This is a great forum! I've been reading posts for a couple of weeks, and have learned lots of good things. I just registered now so I could add my ideas to this post.

I use a tie holder with 11 little wood pegs to hang my scissors on.

I found an old cassette tape holder at Goodwill, spray painted it white, and use it to hold thin spools of ribbon.

My cutting table is a 30x50 desk that really didn't function well as a desk (basically just 4 legs with a top and a small drawer), but it works great for cutting fabric.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 AM

Wow! How neat! I love this site!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Lots have mentioned fabric softener sheets too...and I forgot I use them also. We can't use fabric softener because my middle son cannot have it near his skin. But my next door neighbor has the pretties smelling laundry. I have been known to stand under her door and inhale when the children are driving me more nuts than usual. I get used dryer sheets from her and sew them to the right side of my labels. Then, I cut an X in the FABRIC SOFTENER ONLY, don't ask me why I capitalized that....and turn it inside out. Then the fabric softener is on the bottom and the label is on the top. The edges are already turned under and I can attach it to the quilt...that and my hands smelly really nice when I'm done.

:-)
I have used coffee filters in the same way.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 AM

Wow! What a great idea!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 AM

I use the bed raiser things to raise my up cutting table. Much better on the back. I also use a small wood shelf that I bought at Michaels that has pegs for hanging things under neath. I hang scissors, cutters, and templates (use fine ribbon) over my cutting table. put pincushion, thimbles, small stuff on the shelf. my cutting table is a cheapo computer desk that my dh cut a piece of plywood bigger that my self healing mat for the top, and I put my different rulers for cutting on the keyboard shelf, that retracts under the table.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 AM

I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

Could you please share with us how you do this? Saving money = more money to spend at Houston Quilt Festival!!! I'm also almost out of spray starch....

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 AM

My sewing room is in my basement, so when I needed a second pincushion, I went over to the the kids toy area and grabbed a Furby. Makes a great pin cushion,stands on the table and is small.(the kids are older, they don't mind)

I discovered that my sewing machine with the expanded base fits perfectly on the keyboard shelf of an old corner computer desk I dont use anymore. Its like having a custom sewing table.

I use a glass next to my machine to hold cut threads, and squares of batting to hold threads by the longarm. When they are covered, I chuck them. (can you tell I have a thread problem!!)
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 AM

I use a plastic magazine holder to house my cutting rulers and patterns I intend to use "one of these days."
Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 AM

I use a parmeasan cheese shaker jar for cones of thread, but I butt it up to the back of my machine. The cover keeps it from jumping. Use the center hole to guide the thread out. Great to have on hand even if you use it just for bobbins.