Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to choose fabric for a pattern... >

How to choose fabric for a pattern...

How to choose fabric for a pattern...

Old 08-23-2021, 01:13 PM

Default How to choose fabric for a pattern...

I have no idea how to do this. Don't want to use my bundles. Try to use up wayward fat quarters. Can some one come over a kit my fabric? Do I choose lights med and dark in one color way? Mix them all up? I just have too many choices on my cutting table and have no idea where to start. Thought if I had a Margareta it would clear the confusion.....NOPE!

Trying to make a pinwheel 36 x whatever.

Last edited by Julienm1; 08-23-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:07 PM

rainbow colored quilts are popular right now. Make individual pinwheels of one color and arrange them based on what flow of colors you like. Example: If you have tons of green fabric, make tons of green pinwheels and let the colors flow gradation-wise. That would be an easy way to use up your leftover choices. Have another Margarita and my description might make sense.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:15 PM

Here is where I look for inspiration

https://colorpalettes.net/

I also pull fabric that has colors I like and use that to pull colors together. I have color wheels as well to help with my indecisiveness. Find pictures and use them as inspiration, get paint chips from paint stores, Lowes etc as they often have coordinated colors. I feel your pain, I struggle with color choices!

Last edited by tallchick; 08-23-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:14 PM

The paint chips idea is a very good idea. I have used that when stuck or to try to come up with a color scheme completely out of my comfort zone. Also using a favorite picture or painting and using colors from it. I also just pull fabrics and play with them. Sometimes I just search Pinterest for, say, “ blue and cream quilts’ to get an idea of what it looks like. A quilter who owned a fabric store once told me that gray goes with everything and that she often used it as a neutral to pull other colors together. Whatever you do, have fun with it! Best wishes on this endeavor. It truly can take time.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

If using scraps I just put together in colors for girls or colors for boys. I make donation quilts so I don't know what color anyone likes.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:37 PM

Back in the days of quilt classes, I remember a teacher had use choose a focal fabric we like.....then we chose the addition color fabric using those little dots on the selvage. Background could be light or dark depending on other colors..

Hope this give you another idea. This even works if you decide not to use the original focal fabric, as you probably chose that fabric because your like the colors in it.

really kind of fun.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 08-23-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I have no idea how to do this. ....Can some one come over a kit my fabric?.
And when you are done at her house, I'll be waiting over here!
Old 08-23-2021, 05:27 PM

Make sure you take into account the values (pale through deep shades of a color) of colors. You can use the pattern sample as a guide. Choose your colors but you can be guided by the value with what the sample does. Or you can always reverse the light and darks in the sample. We tend to pick out vivid deep or medium tones neglecting the lights. You usually need all three to make the quilt interesting.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:10 AM

Smile thanks for color palette link...good to know!

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Here is where I look for inspiration

https://colorpalettes.net/

I also pull fabric that has colors I like and use that to pull colors together. I have color wheels as well to help with my indecisiveness. Find pictures and use them as inspiration, get paint chips from paint stores, Lowes etc as they often have coordinated colors. I feel your pain, I struggle with color choices!
Thank you for the link for help on choosing colors!

I have used a fabric print I like to create a color palette. The work is already done for you. The designer has chosen the colors that work well together.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:56 AM

Yes, Tallchick … thank you for the color palette link. It is fun just to go through the different swatches.