Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to decide on quilt patterns >

How to decide on quilt patterns

How to decide on quilt patterns

Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Hi Everyone:

I can piece quilts with the best of them-my seams match, colors are great, etc. However, I'm having trouble deciding on how to quilt pieced tops. How do you decide what patterns work? I'm in the middle of machine quilting a "quilt of valor" and am getting frustrated on what would look good as far as quilting the thing. Anyone else have a good system in deciding how to design quilt patterns for quilt tops?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:36 PM

I am in the same boat as you,being a new quilter i find it hard to decided what to do. I have so far done sid and a decorative sid. and on my last one i did cross hatching and some squiggles. but that is the extent of it. I find that if I am wanting to do something else that I ask around and ask around. get lots of ideas from the local quilt shops. that helps a ton actually. you could always post a pic on here and ask us. sometimes we know what we are wanting and just need help feeling confident that what we want is the right thing.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Mine usually talk to me as I piece them. I still have problems deciding what would work best.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 PM

I guess I'm going to have to force myself to actually mark some kind of design on my quilt tops. This is my biggest problem. I expect my quilts to speak to me and tell me what they want but so far that has not worked!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Mine usually talk to me as I piece them. I still have problems deciding what would work best.
Ditto for me for some quilts. For others, I'll spread it on the floor in front of me while I'm watching TV and I'll just keep glancing and studying it. Usually something comes to mind.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Definitely post a pic. Worth a thousand words yeah?