Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you choose the backing for your quilts?

I back my quilts with a coordinating fabric, always a print, and usually one that blends with the thread I've chosen to quilt with.

Blog Entries
    I usually prefer to use a natural colored backing. It's not white but a nice light beige color that goes with everything. Anything with color usually finds itself on the top side of my quilts.

I usually use sheets (bad person, horrifying the quilt police) for backing, usually a solid color from the top that will show the quilting -- I would choose white if that quilt top were mine, but red would be dramatic

Blog Entries
    So beautiful!!! What ever you decide it will be gorgeous! Please come back and show us the finished quilt.

I often go with a completely different fabric, but with a color that will go with the binding. So it may be a patchwork on the front but the back will be a Christmas print. I like getting 2 quilts for one!lol

love the quilt. I use what ever I have enough of, sometimes piecing the backing using the left over from the front. but it really doesnt matter. whatever you want. I am quiling(longarm)
    a quilt for a friend and the front is houses. the back is all 5 inch squares left over from the last quilt I quilted for her. lots of color and fun.

I love this quilt! I can't help with the quilting but for the back I usually use any left over fabric from the front to do a very simple design on the back with coordinating fabric. As others have said, "Two for the price of one."

I made a quilt similar to yours last year for a friend's birthday. Got the pattern from Quick Quilts form my Scrap Bag. I like using a blender on the back that harmonizes with the front. I also buy the wide 108"-120" width and at least 3.5 yards in length. This is for a king-size. Something that you have invested your time and money as well as your talents deserves to be treated as such. I love stars and even enjoyed making the little stars inside the larger stars. Great job.

Blog Entries
    I don't tend to match the front to the back on my personal quilts. So if I have enough leftovers then ill piece a back. I've bought the ugliest thing on the clearance rack(@ 50 cents a yard), used muslin, extra wide backs, other quilt tops. Others talk about vintage sheets because the flats don't have wear like the fitted. Depends on what your artistic desire is. If you have a chance to see antique museum quilts, they often have something odd on the back. To me it's charming.

One of those biege or tan ,I call them "neutrals" would be good

It may seem odd to some but I like to personalize the back for whoever I'm giving it to. If I don't know who its going to I match the front.

I made one for a friends wedding present and the back was leopard print. She has a thing where there is 1 item in every room of her house with leopard print on it. it's funny to us.

Lately, I've been piecing my backs, using fabrics from the front. Adding more fabrics if needed. Saves me a great deal of $$$, as I haven't worked for over a year. It helps!

I tend to go with a color that matches the piecing on the front. I tend to prefer dark marbled ones though or floral ones for quilts that I know are going to ladies.

I've just started adding a pieced row down the center to cover the fact that there has to be a seam (using 44 inch wide material to cover 65x75 or so size) and to give the back a bit more interest!

That is beautiful!! :thumbup:

I don't like to use solids for backing simply because it doesn't hide my quilting booboos at all.

Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    I tend to go with a color that matches the piecing on the front. I tend to prefer dark marbled ones though or floral ones for quilts that I know are going to ladies.

I've just started adding a pieced row down the center to cover the fact that there has to be a seam (using 44 inch wide material to cover 65x75 or so size) and to give the back a bit more interest!
    That sounds neat!

:thumbup:

Usually will find a good quailty muslin for the back. That way, the quilting shows beautifully on the back and makes an awesome reversible piece. Will watch for your finished quilt :-D

Just want to say I love your quilt. It is great.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    I have just completed a Twinkling Stars quilt top. Stars are various reds set on various shades of beiges and tan squares. Now, I can't decide on the backing. Or on the quilting that I will have done. Just wondering what/if any criteria do you use when making this decision. I am stumped!
    Why not piece the back with leftover fabrics from the front...that way you don't have to settle on just one?

I often used the same fabric for my border and backing.

I've started piecing the backs with leftover fabric from the project. In fact, I buy more of the fabric specifically to do it this way. Lots of people will say they buy cheaper or plain fabric for the back, but when you think about it, what gets more surface wear? The back! and what do you see when you pull it up over yourself? The back! So make it fun to see. I only use plain when I'm doing a wall hanging!

Guess I am in the minority on this one. I always use a wide backing fabric. I don't like to piece the backs, and with so many choices in wide backing fabrics there is usually one out there to go with the front. Recently though I have purchase two different wide backing fabrics from Fabric.com @ $6.98 a yard. A neutral and a gold. So far they look great on all quilts I have finished. I like to save my left over pieces from all my quilts to make scrappy quilts such as log cabins, courthouse steps and the like. That is just my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaHen
    Guess I am in the minority on this one. I always use a wide backing fabric. I don't like to piece the backs, and with so many choices in wide backing fabrics there is usually one out there to go with the front. Recently though I have purchase two different wide backing fabrics from Fabric.com @ $6.98 a yard. A neutral and a gold. So far they look great on all quilts I have finished. I like to save my left over pieces from all my quilts to make scrappy quilts such as log cabins, courthouse steps and the like. That is just my preference.
    I use wide backings whenever I can. It's usually less expensive than buying the necessary amount of yardage to piece, and it saves time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    I always like my backing to match or blend with the front. That way I get two quilts for the price of one.
    Ditto this - by the way, your quilt top is beautiful!

Varies, for your I might consider one of the neutrals the quilting always stands out so nice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast