Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you choose the backing for your quilts?

Beautiful beautiful quilt :)

I like my backings to go with the colors on the front of the quilt. As far as the quilting goes, I would do some quilting that enhanced the stars with some more intense filler in the background pieces to make the stars pop even more.

Love the quilt. I usually buy 108" backing on sale. I will use muslin many times as it is neutral. I can't see buying the same fabric for the backing as it is too expensive. If it is a quilt for judging then I would use the same fabric from the line.

I use a color that's used a lot on the quilt top. And since I use a lot of black in my quilts my backings end up being black.

Sometimes I match the front if I can. I use either flannel or fleece. Most of the time it depends on what I have in my stash.

I like my quilts to be warm and huggable, so will almost alway pick a flannel for the backing,

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is so traditional, why not go for 'traditional' backing, and use unbleached muslin. I think it would be perfect-IMHO.

If I am handquilting then I will choose a fabric that makes it easier to do. If I am doing a special quilting design that will show up well on a solid cream or white then I would choose that. The wide backing fabric is wonderful if you can find one that works with the quilt (no seams to sew and no seams to quilt through). I don't like to spend top dollar on the back, though I won't go with poor quality either. I look for sale fabrics that will work even if not the perfect match.

Blog Entries
    If I were doing it I would use a beige sheet, it will last as long as the quilt and it is also soft. I'm talking Walmart brands that aren't that thick. You could also put a piece of red across the top for turn down if you like. Just my opinion, that and a $5.00 bill will get you a cup of coffee. I use to say a dollar, but that won't buy a cup any more.

The LQSs in my town all stock extra wide backing.I don't like pieced backings because I never seem to get them perfectly straight so I take the finished top to the shop and pick out the best one that is in stock and use that. If they are all chukky I wait until the new stock comes.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    If it's for "special" as in a gift or a raffle prize donation, I put a complimentary fabric on the back or tone on tone something or other. If it's for general use bed quilt, I use good quality muslin. No sense spending a lot of money on fabric for the back of a bed quilt that will only be used one side up!! IMHO. That's what I do.
    I'm with you. The price of fabric is costloy enough without putting it on the back.

What a beautiful quilt!

beautiful quilt, love your colors! I would want to make a splash and go with a red on the back. Make it just as stunning but if you don't want it to be in compete with the top go with a solid tan.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I use flannel for my backs. Usually coordinating; if not in color, then in theme.

p.s. Your quilt is absolutely Beautiful. wow...

I usually choose a fabric that had something to do with the front. One time I used the colors on the front and it had large leaves. When quilting, I outlined the leaves and the quilting turn out wonderful. The leaves acted as a template.

I choose a backing that looks good with the quilt top. I can't stand a muslin back. I want a pretty back.

Blog Entries
    I just finished my D9P and waiting to buy the batting and backing.I don't want to piece my backing.I haven't made a quilt since my son had his heart attack in 07.

I would go with the tea color muslin...

Power Poster
    In the past coupoe of years I seem to like quilters flannel. It is light, warm and won't allow the quilt to slip on the bed.

Blog Entries
    I love the idea from MTS. The contrasting "turn down" sounds like a great idea. Will have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    If it's for "special" as in a gift or a raffle prize donation, I put a complimentary fabric on the back or tone on tone something or other. If it's for general use bed quilt, I use good quality muslin. No sense spending a lot of money on fabric for the back of a bed quilt that will only be used one side up!! IMHO. That's what I do.
    I'm with you. The price of fabric is costloy enough without putting it on the back.
    joann's has a wide backing that feels like muslin and is a printed paisley in tones of tan and beige. it's usually $9.99, but with a coupon it would be either $6.00 or $5.00 a yard. it would blend nicely, is soft and inexpensive. PREWASH.
    it shrinks noticeably the first time out. i've used it sideways.

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts. I ended up with a neutral all over print that was used in some of the block fabrics. I wanted to get the wide fab, but my LQS didn't have anything that would come close to matching. And J's is not my first option, tho I know it's usually cheaper. And I have sent it for long arm quilting now.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt :thumbup: I like to use at least one fabric from the front and piece it. I recently came across a quilt here that I bookmarked. Its so pretty, it's a baby quilt but look how she pieced the back ..http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102676-1.htm I think something like this would be pretty on your quilt using some of your fabric from the front. :D :oops: sorry, I didn't read far enough, it's on it's way to be quilted. :oops:

I personally like backing that blends in with the top or one that picks up the colors of the room or favorate color of the person. In this case I would pick tan blender since red would detract from the front. Also I perfer simple quilting that does not detract from the front pattern. often I use quilting as decoration on the back. In this case I would just SID with clear thread on top so as not to distract form the peicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonary
    I love the idea from MTS. The contrasting "turn down" sounds like a great idea. Will have to try that.
    I agree!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast