Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you choose your next quilt? >

How do you choose your next quilt?

How do you choose your next quilt?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 PM

I'm about to finish a quilttop and have to decide what's next. I've seen so many fantastic projects and my wishlist is sooooooooo long I just don't know what to choose. The ones I like best are the ones I have to buy all fabric for and that's not really what I want to do. I could make a baby quilt but what I like is not what my DIL likes. Just go ahead and do it anyway just for the fun of it? Or..............
I think I will go and reorganize my stash first LOL
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM

I usually start with some sort of a theme, then look at the fabrics for it. I've just finished a couple of baby quilts, and used panels for them, with small surround blocks and frames. They turned out well.
I've also made quilts for family members, and go with colours the person likes, but I choose the blocks and the design.

I'm not quite sure what I will do next. I've got a couple of "themes" in mind, for example an "Out of Africa" quilt, and I have collected quite a few fabrics for this, including some animal panels, but have not yet decided on a design eg blocks and borders. I think this is the fun part, and I spend quite a bit of time with pencil and paper, and then with my quilt design programme. On the other hand, sometimes I just want something really quick, and do what I call a "melting pot" quilt with easy blocks and any fabric I can put my hand on. Hmmmm, sounds a bit contradictory doesn't it, but still, each to their own!! I'm sure you'll think of something really great.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 AM

It depends for whom I am making the quilt. They are either a gift for someone, one someone has asked me to make, or for myself. Every quilt I have made has had a purpose beforehand. I am now working on a graduation gift. On my list are a quilt for DGS for his 'big boy bed', a Christmas tree skirt for DIL, and to finish a double wedding ring for my bed. Also have to finish quilting a UFO for a gift to a family having a hard time. I have others I would like to give quilts to.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple of projects going at the same time and when I am done with one I just go to another project that I am working on. This board keeps me on my toes for wondering what I will be doing next.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 AM

They always choose me (lol). I love to sew but do not do so constantly - but as with others, I do have several things going that need completion.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 AM

My next quilt is usually what someone asks for or a gift for someone. I just finished two Mother's Day quilts for DD to give to her DH's grandmother's. Now I am finally working on a quilt for me, but I need to start on quilts for Christmas gifts very soon.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 AM

Christmas gifts is a good idea! I'm not asked yet to make quilts for a gift. This morning I sorted out my stash and scraps and found quite some baby blocks and squares I once cut. By the look of the blocks I didn't know what I was doing at that time but I might be able to make something with those blocks.