Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you count stitches when handquilting?

Do you count the stitches on the top and the bottom? The gal at my LQS said I had 16/inch, but that would include both. What is the proper amount...........8 or 16?

Only the top stitches are counted as far as I know. That's all my grandma counted and she did 10 stitches to the inch. She was the finest handstitcher in her womens guild.
    Don't understand why you also count the bottom stitches.

I've read that you should count only the top stitches.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I always thought it was top stitches only being counted.

Blog Entries
    According to Thimblelady, it is only the stitches on top that are counted.

I only go by the top stitches. The other day I was looking at a website that sold amish quilts and it mentioned SPI and only counted the top stitches when picturing an example.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I handquilt and only count the top stitches. For me it's 10 for regular hand quilting; it's usually 5 for big stitch quilting with 12 wt. threads or #10 crochet thread.

Jan in VA

Never knew we should count. May I ask under which circumstances you would count?

Banned
    Stitches are counted both ways....it just depends on who ask the question. I believe in most cases it is the stitches you see, not the ones you don't see. But when asked the question ....ask the question back "how do you count them" so you will know how to answer.

Banned
    probably the best answer to RenaB is......
    ego

Banned
    probably the best answer to RenaB is......
    ego

Sorry for the double post. I leaned on the computer.

However, we do admire the hand quilted with the finest and smallest stitches. On the other hand, it is the quality of the stitch that judges often look at and not the quantity.
    A larger but even stitch, penetrating into the back in an even way (not the same size) might overshadow the fine close stitches that don't have quality on the back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    it is the quality of the stitch that judges often look at and not the quantity.
    A larger but even stitch, penetrating into the back in an even way (not the same size) might overshadow the fine close stitches that don't have quality on the back.
    I'm so glad to hear that. I've been doing some hand quilting recently and my stitches are anything but small. I decided not to worry about size and just try to make them even. These are quilt as you go blocks. Hopefully by the last block I'll have it mastered.

Blog Entries
    I found that mine were getting better the more I worked on my first project. I think its a matter of practice but SPI can also be affected by the type of fabric, type of batting, needles used etc. I am definately not a master!

One stitch is going down through the layers to the back and coming back up. So you would only count the stitches you see on the top. The thread showing on the back is part of the stitch showing on the top. Does that make sense?

I've been handquilting for years and have never worried about stitches per inch.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I'm so glad to hear that. I've been doing some hand quilting recently and my stitches are anything but small. I decided not to worry about size and just try to make them even. These are quilt as you go blocks. Hopefully by the last block I'll have it mastered.
    My Grandmother taught me that what you are doing is the right way, not worrying about size, just making them even. The smaller stitches will come once you master the even stitches.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenaB
    Never knew we should count. May I ask under which circumstances you would count?
    LOL! What a great remark! I guess we count when someone asks. ;-) ;-)

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    I like this answer best of all. Thanks everyone!
    My Grandmother taught me that what you are doing is the right way, not worrying about size, just making them even. The smaller stitches will come once you master the even stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Old hen
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    I like this answer best of all. Thanks, everyone!

I don't count. I know I have small stitches and I like the way they look numbers don't matter to me.

Blog Entries
    I'm too lazy to go find a quilt and count my stitches. When I first started I knew nothing about quilting and only a little about weaving. I ended up counting the threads in the fabric to make even stitches. Four threads of the material per stitch. Didn't know any better and turned out OK. Nice even stitches. Whatever worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by RenaB
    LOL! What a great remark! I guess we count when someone asks. ;-) ;-)

Jan in VA

Banned
    A good way to practice stitches is on 1/8" gingham check.
    It has small checks and straight lines. If 1/8" is too small to start with, then every other square etc. Or start with larger gingham.

I sometime think that if the question about number of stitches is asked then it is a trick question.

Thank you for asking this question. I always wanted to know, too.

When I was learning to quilt and was frustrated because I couldn't make stitches as small as my GrandMa, my Daddy told me this. "Consistant stitches are more important than small stitches; as long as you don't make them so long a fella can hang a toenail in 'em" I have finally mastered small stitches, but fondly remember a wise man's advice to a little daughter.

I don't count them at all. I just strive to keep them small and even.

Counting stitches is an archaic practice. As a quilt professional who has done a lot of hand quilting, I don't pay attention to such non-issues. There is no standard and everyone you ask will probably offer a different answer.

As a quilt judge, I look for nicely-spaced, even stitches that are not crooked.

We may marvel at the very tiny stitches of some of the antique quilts we see but also consider the fact that the battings that were used were often VERY thin. I hope this remark sheds some light on the subject.

Quilted pillow by Patricia Cummings
    Name:  Attachment-261536.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  133.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast