Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching???

Blog Entries
    I have been looking for a good way to carry swatches with me to quilt shops to match when I need additional fabrics for a project in the works.. I rarely buy coordinating fabric when I initially pick one up...(as usually do this on a shop hop)... figure to get others when I am ready to start that quilt...
    Also wonder what is your favorite or best way you have found to take a small swatch of main fabric
    Thank you in advance for all your ideas... such a great group of people on this board...

I cut the part of the selvage edge w/ the color dots. Takes no room at all in my purse or pocket.

Blog Entries
    i usually cut at least 2' sqs. and and put them in a small baggie. they stay clean and all together

Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    I cut the part of the selvage edge w/ the color dots. Takes no room at all in my purse or pocket.
    Omg, is THAT what those dots are for?!?!? Lol! I never knew!!! Now I'm going to go look at all my selvages!! Hahaha

Blog Entries
    One thing that works is to use a cd holder that has plastic envelopes. Easy to carry, easy to access in shops

A dear friend here on the board sent me this very flat brag book. I think it is the cat's meow--she said it is for swatches to match fabric. And I went to the store the other day for fabric and I had to wing it as I had forgotten it already!

I have a brag book that I use. I cut a piece of cardstock to just fit the pocket. I then use double sided tape to put the piece of fabric on the cardstock. On the card I write how much I have of that fabric. I tape the color dots on the back of the card. If I am working from a planned pattern - i.e. purchasing fabric for a specific pattern - I print out an outline of the quilt blocks on the back too. HTH

Blog Entries
    the color dots on the salvages are the true colors used in that piece of fabric (all of them)so the salvage dots will help you match colors perfectly-
    an actual swatch will help with design too-
    often 2" is just not enough to show the true feel of the fabric- sometimes it is (if it's a very small print)
    i generally try to cut a 4"-6" piece of fabric-an extra 1/8 yard gives you an extra 4 1/2" strip of fabric--
    a small project notebook is nice= you can glue strips of each fabric you are using along with pattern information- and any key notes all together to refer to when ever you need to= it also lets you go back at a later date and see exactly what you used for any given project....i keep one for projects and a separate one for battings

Banned
    I use a zip lock bag.

Blog Entries
    Right now I'm using a notebook that has an elastic to hold it shut. I make notes on the pages about the project, amount I have of each swatch and what I'm looking for. I either pin the swatches together and attach to the page or sew them to a strip of cardstock and attach to the page. It also makes a quilting diary of sorts since I keep notes about the projects. Might try the brag book next time around.

When I try to match up batiks for a banner, I take the pieces that I have in a bag over to the shop in Wytheville and lay them out in a corner and pull bolts that will blend with what I have or make a better choice than what I already have. I've done this process several times. The ladies there offer assistance when I need it. I always let them know what I've brought with me and let them see it. Then I ask if it will be alright to try and match some of their fabrics to go with my project. They have never told me no.

These are great ideas. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dahlshouse
    I have been looking for a good way to carry swatches with me to quilt shops to match when I need additional fabrics for a project in the works.. I rarely buy coordinating fabric when I initially pick one up...(as usually do this on a shop hop)... figure to get others when I am ready to start that quilt...
    Also wonder what is your favorite or best way you have found to take a small swatch of main fabric
    Thank you in advance for all your ideas... such a great group of people on this board...
    Thank you for asking this question, I have been wondering this myself for some time. Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas.

I just snip a small square and toss in my purse.

I usually take a small piece of each and put them on a safety pin. Pin that to the top inside of my purse, and it's easy to get too. Sometimes I don't even have to unpin it to match!

Blog Entries
    I carry my samples in a manilla folder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Ok how do you incorporate paint chips???

I take 1.5 inch strips about 2" long and sew each piece of fabric that I am wanting to match together in a long strip. I then take a marker and write how much fabric I need of the matching fabric. Then I safety pin it to my lapel for easy access.

I have a fairly simple method-though after seeing Glassquilt's picture, mine probably won't work! I have one of the small reusable grocery/lunch bags. I keep my fabrics in there, but I don't have swatches. I take the entire piece(s) with me, but my little bag easily holds 6+ yards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    I asked for paint chips so I knew we are both talking about the same color. There are so many shades.

When I find a fabric I carry it to a window and compare with the chip and fabrics. The chip keeps me on the right track - too easy to find fabrics that look good together but aren't true to the originally requested color.

I safety pin small pieces of fabric together and toss them in my purse. Yeah, I usually lose them in there, but eventually I find them. If I am looking for border fabric, I take my whole quilt top.

I cut a two inch sq and tape over it with clear packing tape, punch a hole in it and put it on a ring that opens and snaps closed. I take them off when the project is complete

Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    I asked for paint chips so I knew we are both talking about the same color. There are so many shades.

When I find a fabric I carry it to a window and compare with the chip and fabrics. The chip keeps me on the right track - too easy to find fabrics that look good together but aren't true to the originally requested color.
    You asked for the paint chips from who??

I feb been know to take a block from the quilt to match fabric (if I am missing borders or something other wise I take generous cuts of each to match - audition needed fabrics

Baggies

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast