Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you decide on quilting design?

How do you decide on quilting design?

I have yet to sandwich and quilt my Chicken Quilt, and I'm not even sure how to go about it. Do beginners typically just start with sewing just outside the seam lines? I've drawn this out on paper and doodled all kinds of designs (this from someone who barely knows what "FMQ" is, let alone actually ever done it), but I can't seem to find one that 'fits.' Should I just start with the outlining method (is there a real quilting term for that?)
    Thoughts?
    TIA!

Name:  390936d1359253183-img_20130126_205527.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  315.6 KB

Banned
    Yes,I suggest in the ditch or outline if you have never done it before. takes a lot of practice to do free motion.

If this were my quilt top, I think I would "stitch in the ditch" around all the squares. I think you call it outlining. And then I would do "stippling" in the brown areas just inside the yellow border. You can find you tube video's to show you how. Beautiful quilt top by the way.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Very pretty and great job for a beginner. Stitch around blocks and stippling. There is a method I just learned on a Craftsy class called scribbling. You can cross your lines and do dense quilting. Might be good for your first quilt. Warning once you learn fmq you will be hooked.

sid or stitch in the ditch is usually the easiest to do. then in the bigger areas stipple or scribble. take your time.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Beautiful quilt!!!

First ... decide what you want to do then pick up some scrap fabric and scrap batting ... 9" or 12" square will do ... and PRACTICE!! DON'T TOUCH THE QUILT until you've practiced each type of stitch that you plan on doing ... even if it's straight line stitch in the ditch (in which case practice on scrap fabric that has been pieced - not a single piece of fabric). Stitch in the ditch sounds easy ... but it's not for everyone.

that's a very pretty quilt and you would be sorry if you used it to practice on and your skills were not up to snuff.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Power Poster
    I have a piece of clear tablecloth plastic with painter's tape around the perimeter. I lay this sheet over an area of my quilt and draw my idea with a draw erase marker on the plastic. This allows me to see if I like it and to erase it off the plastic and try again until I find a design I like.
    I would start by SITD along the yellow sashing in the center of the quilt to stabilize it. I would then try different designs for the blocks. I wonder if you could quilt chicken wire over the chicken blocks? If that sounds too hard, maybe a simple cross hatch in the blocks would look like chicken wire and you could do it with a regular foot on your machine.

I agree stitch in the ditch!!

I agree with stitch in the ditch. I sewed 1/4" from the seam on my first quilt since SITD is not what I would call easy. I've taken a couple lessons in FMQ and wouldn't try it on a quilt as nice as that. Stippling is harder than it looks, especially for someone who's never done it before. Takes a lot of practice for something that looks so "random."

Beautiful quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have a piece of clear tablecloth plastic with painter's tape around the perimeter. I lay this sheet over an area of my quilt and draw my idea with a draw erase marker on the plastic. This allows me to see if I like it and to erase it off the plastic and try again until I find a design I like.
    I would start by SITD along the yellow sashing in the center of the quilt to stabilize it. I would then try different designs for the blocks. I wonder if you could quilt chicken wire over the chicken blocks? If that sounds too hard, maybe a simple cross hatch in the blocks would look like chicken wire and you could do it with a regular foot on your machine.
    I love the idea of chicken wire! It's perfect! Next question: do you mark the whole quilting pattern on the front or the back or...??? Do I just go find a plastic chicken wire stencil? Btw, I suppose I should find one that is more 'oval' in shapes than round, yes? Otherwise it'll look like honeycomb...

The chicken wire sounds fun. Not sure if you could find a stencil, but could probably draw one. SITD (stitch in the ditch) if hard for me. However I don't do much machine quilting at all. If I were to do SITD, I would use a gentle wavy line along the stitching lines. I'm afraid I would not be able to stay in the ditch, and know some people use the wavy line. By the way, stitching next to the stitch line is called "echo" quilting. I have never mastered stippling. Looks easy, but like it has been said here, takes a lot of practice. I really like your quilt top. I'm sure it will be lovely with what ever you deceide to do.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Marsha SITD is not easy and I could never stay in the ditch. but using your 1/4 inch foot you can get a better line using the seam for the guide. I only did that on about 4 quilts before I took the plunge and started meander FMQ - that it about all I do now. I made a couple of small dolly quilts for Granddaughters and practiced on thise and then just jumped in and meandered FMQ. Each quilt gets better and better. Good luck with what ever you do decide to do.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    I don't know if there are chicken wire stencils. You might have to find a picture and copy it? As for putting it onto the quilt top? Everyone has different methods. I think I wold draw it on with the quilt marker that erases with a spritz of water.

That is a pretty aweswome top for a beginner! Stitch in the ditch is the best way to go.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Sometimes with a beginner machine quilting, it's easier to do straight lines. But that doesn't mean they always need to be "in the ditch" between seams, or just on a diagonal all the way thru a top. Hopefully the suggestions of the black lines below will come out well enough to give you an idea of something different.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Cute quilt!

Jan in VA, I like your ideas and your ability to draw them onto this lovely quilt.

I have a foot made for SID, but have found it easier to use an open foot so I can see clearly where I'm going. SID is my favorite quilting method on my DSM, but I agree with Jan that your Chicken Quilt would look nice with a little more.