Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you organize everything?

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I have the exact same problem. However, I also keep bringing more stuff in while I whine about how unorganized I am & how I can't seem to find anything (so I have to buy another one to replace the one that's buried under the mess). It's super frustrating!!!
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem!

I share my sewing space with hubby. He has about 4 feet of a 12 foot table for his computer and printer. His hobby is photography. We recently had to put a freezer in here also so I lost some space and had to spread to the guest room. I have drawers for FQ's and scraps, a bookshelf for larger pieces, drawers for lace and ribbons and other crafts. All my UFO's are in numbered totes. I have a printed list in my computer of what is in each tote so I can find any UFO without going through all the totes. My goal for this year is to use up scraps, use stash as much as possible, work on UFO's and for every 2 UFO's I finish I can make something I have been wanting to but I MUST finish it. Hopefully the extra "stuff" will no longer have to be in the guest room.

My organization trick: new stuff on top of the pile, just remember what's on the bottom.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    It depends on "who's looking and who's judging" whether I'm organized or not. I think I'm organized. I know where everything is. If I try to rearrange things to look more "organized" to certain people, I lose things. So, I keep things as they are. I add to my stash and dust every couple of weeks and vacuum, but I leave everything in the same place, otherwise I will never find it again. My brother, when he's looking and judging, thinks I need to organize my room. My husband, when he's looking and judging, has never said a word about my room being organized or not. So, I think my brother is wrong and I am right. I have to live with it. Also, I don't like people who look and judge, I found out!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Dunster I have the same thing..I can usually find what I am looking for and some items--needles, marking pens, sewing machine items organized for each machine and fabric...that needs something done but the intentions are good and then I start sewing!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    My quilt stuff is gradually taking over the whole house. Organization? ha! The problem is that a lot more stuff comes in the door than goes out.

You got some serious stuff. I recently started buy those Sterilite storage cabinets Walmart sells, simply because I couldn't stand all my stuff out in plain view any more. It helps me a lot, although I still have stuff on top of all of them. Still an eyesore but not nearly as bad. I think I need another whole house for my stuff.

My set-up all just works like a filing system and for the same reasons. I want to be able to put my hands on something instantly so i can spend my time creating and not searching.

The studio has separate areas for separate functions (cutting, sewing, pressing, designing, research, etc), and items are stored in the area in which they are used, like things together. Often used items are closer at hand than seldom used items and are more 'visible'. Fabrics for all but the current project(s) are stored upstairs in another room and all fabrics are in (28 qt) clear bins. Perhaps most importantly, things get put away when I'm finished using them.

If you Google storage ideas for sloped ceilings, you'll find lots of photos and ideas that might help you out.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-03-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2