Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize everything? >

How do you organize everything?

How do you organize everything?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by psthreads View Post
I thought I was organized, but everytime I go to look for something I can not find it.
I have spent a lot of time organizing my sewing room. I have a triple dresser with an ironing board top that DH built. It has six medium sized and two large drawers as well as a cabinet in the middle. Lots of storage space. I have two large white cabinets full of fabric which has been ruler folded. My cutting table has a 16 drawer cd cabinet on one end that is perfect for fat quarters, rotary cutters, scissors, etc. I have a large sewing cabinet that has room for 3 machines. It has 2 drawers and 2 shelves on each end. I have a 2 drawer file cabinet and 2 book shelves. I love my new 12 x 23 sewing room. However, now that everything is organized and put away---I can't find anything! LOL

I'm not complaining---I just have to get used to all this organization! LOL
Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM

My two quilting buddies and i each spent a saturday together sorting and organizing our stashes. Lots of laughs, discovery, and what-were-u-thinking moments. we used baskets and bins for 'together' projects and someday quilts, and sorted everything else by novelty, color, batiks, baby, and weird.?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM

I saw a tutorial on how to fold fabric and I took all my fabric out of bins and folded it as directed. I was amazed; what took 8 shelves is now on 3. Best part is I can now see all of my fabric at a glance. No more fumbling through bins looking for a piece of fabric. I love, love my new organization. All the bins now hold projects and are clearly labelled. It's easier to find and work on my projects.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM

I can sure relate to that. Can't imagine what my house would look like without all my sewing/craft materials.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM

I'm so excited--my sewing room is truly becoming less of a bedroom and more of MY sewing room! I just bought at auction an old china cabinet/hutch so that I gained cupboards below and a glass fronted shelving above--now I can but both finished quilts and material in and keep the dust off! I've also bought a trundle bed so that I don't lose the extra bed, but also don't have it in the way--and I'll make the trundle more of a sitting bed so that I can take a break. Two "wants" on my list for a later date--ripping out carpet and replacing with laminate and getting my son's old computer repaired so that I can dream of getting EQ7! But both are down the road a ways due to $$---I spend to much on fabric!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I have the exact same problem. However, I also keep bringing more stuff in while I whine about how unorganized I am & how I can't seem to find anything (so I have to buy another one to replace the one that's buried under the mess). It's super frustrating!!!
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM

I share my sewing space with hubby. He has about 4 feet of a 12 foot table for his computer and printer. His hobby is photography. We recently had to put a freezer in here also so I lost some space and had to spread to the guest room. I have drawers for FQ's and scraps, a bookshelf for larger pieces, drawers for lace and ribbons and other crafts. All my UFO's are in numbered totes. I have a printed list in my computer of what is in each tote so I can find any UFO without going through all the totes. My goal for this year is to use up scraps, use stash as much as possible, work on UFO's and for every 2 UFO's I finish I can make something I have been wanting to but I MUST finish it. Hopefully the extra "stuff" will no longer have to be in the guest room.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM

My organization trick: new stuff on top of the pile, just remember what's on the bottom.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

It depends on "who's looking and who's judging" whether I'm organized or not. I think I'm organized. I know where everything is. If I try to rearrange things to look more "organized" to certain people, I lose things. So, I keep things as they are. I add to my stash and dust every couple of weeks and vacuum, but I leave everything in the same place, otherwise I will never find it again. My brother, when he's looking and judging, thinks I need to organize my room. My husband, when he's looking and judging, has never said a word about my room being organized or not. So, I think my brother is wrong and I am right. I have to live with it. Also, I don't like people who look and judge, I found out!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 AM

Dunster I have the same thing..I can usually find what I am looking for and some items--needles, marking pens, sewing machine items organized for each machine and fabric...that needs something done but the intentions are good and then I start sewing!

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My quilt stuff is gradually taking over the whole house. Organization? ha! The problem is that a lot more stuff comes in the door than goes out.