Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you store it? Help would be apprciated.

Darn....what great ideas!!My stuff is so scattered that at times it is easier to go and buy than find what I am looking for!! The basics I keep in a sewing box, and then have a seperate container for the supplies for the current project I am working on.

Stackable containers here. I have a couple on rollers, one for my longarm & one for the sewing machines. Each machine has their own drawer for instruction manuals & accessories. I use the smaller ones (3 drawers high) for cutting, marking, glues, beads, etc. the smaller stuff, next to my cutting table on a bookshelf. You can find them cheap enough at the discount stores like Dollar General, Walmart, etc. I have bigger ones stacked under my cutting table to hold rulers, templates, etc.

I have a tackle box for general sewing supplies. I use a small tote, about the size to hold 2 pairs of shoes, to hold all small quilting supplies. I love my quilting box, so good to know it's all in one place.
    Robin in TX

Blog Entries
    That's what I use - find them at garage sales (Now why would anyone want to get rid of such an important piece of whatever you want to call it. I just got three the other day, stackable, 7"wide, 9" long and 1-1/2" deep (three drawers - total 9 drawers to play around with. I also got a six drawer cabinet (plastic) for my fabric that I keep in the basement in my "other area". You can walk down an alley and people get rid of stuff like a four shelf wooden bookcase I got for stacking my fabrics in my sewing area for nothing. People write free on it and away it goes. I know of a lingerie cabinet that is going to be put in our alley at any time now. I am really thinking about that one - seven drawers - wood - the only bad thing is that some of the veneer is off of one of the drawers. Doesn't hurt the fabric any, or patterns or general storage. That's how I get my stuff!!!!! Old, el cheapo me. You should see the beautiful torchiere lamp I got from a neighbor just before it was going to go out in the alley. I has a high density light in the middle of the floor lamp that is like a gooseneck lamp only more pliable and I can see so much better with my sewing machine (sewing machine lights are for the birds)!!!!!!!

Keep your drawers clean and full!!!!!!!!

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I have a clear - over-the-door shoe storage on the inside of my door for all types of things: pens, pencils, extra rotatory blades, used rotary blades, needles of varying sizes, tape, tape measures, - you get the idea . . . I also have a bulletin board where I hang up my most frequently used rulers, scissors, and rotary cutter - also have a swiffer on there which I use almost every day, to reduce the dust which seems to be generated. hope that heps.

Blog Entries
    i go the cheapest route i can and use the savings for material... however i use ice cream tubs...they have a handle and a lid....and you can tell what is in the tub.....and they will stack out of the way as well...

I have been changing my stuff around and want to either combine or something my stuffs.. lol I have embroidery thread things to go along with it. I have bits and bobs in drawers of things I might use someday. Crafty stuff, clothes sewing stuff, jewerly stuffs. And it all has to fit in one room. ACK!! I have slowly been getting rid of things and not buying new ones but it still isn't comfortable ... I need a room organizer to come in and do it so all I have to do is grab. LOL I have 10 of the drawers on wheels, two tall book shelves and a big closet. And I still can't manage to get organized... oh and then there is my vintage laces and trims and linens... SEE I NEED help! LOL

I also have the stackable small drawers all labeled. They work great.
    My sewing machine cabinet has lots of cubbies in the doors where I keep items I use alot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I buy utensil drawer organizers when they are on sale, or find them at thrift stores. I was lucky to find a used hinterberg quilt rolling cabinet years ago and it has lots of drawers. Helps keep some of the stuff in one place. I just have to figure what to put with what and where.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Power Poster
    I use Crystal Lite containers.....I find they are great to store all those little things......Easy to see through and easy to
    stack if need be.....Best of all I love crystal lite.......I have been throwing the containers away because I am
    over run with them.....

Blog Entries
    I use tackle boxes they have so many to choose from and the compartments can be adjusted for longer items and they are stackable -easy to see whats in each one.And they are more reasonably priced then something that carries the for crafts tag on it

I went to Staples and bought about a dozen small clear plastic storage containers, about 3 1/2" X 4 1/2", that I use to store various pins, thimbles, safety pins, sewing machine needles and other smaller things. Then, bought the same style of clear plastic container slightly larger at Walmart for different colors of thread. I tend to use white, black and cream most often. I have a larger one I store the assorted colors of thread in. We had a wall of cabinets put in our sunroom where I sew. There's a large stack of drawers that are just perfect to hold my little containers. Makes it sew much easier to find what I need.
    Karen in Kentucky

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I found one of those tall jewelry armoires at Salvation Army. It has 12 shallow drawers and 2 'wing' compartments with hooks. I added wheels and and also put hooks on the back for long rulers.

I saw this at a friends studio....I want one now!

Blog Entries
    A magnetic knife rack holds a multitude of small items, sewing feet, screwdrivers, scissors, seam ripper, tweezers, etc. All stuff that gets buried all too easily on your work surface. I have mine on the wall behind my sewing machine and this keeps these tools visible and within easy reach.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

I like to use the long skinny plastic "desk" baskets they usually come 3 to a pack at Walmart. They are the perfect size for pens, pencils, scissors, ect. I also have a little sterilite container that has three little drawers. Another thing I use a lot are the glass bottles that chicken and beef boullion cubes come in (empty of course). They have a screw top so they are good for sharp things.
    Bobbi
    Quilting happily in Tennessee!

Blog Entries
    I have a whole wall of cabinets..and 23 drawers on the bottom around my sewing area...and believe me they are all full..I had to write what was in each drawer in a composition book..I just look it up and see which drawer its in..but most on all my sewing needs are in the 4 drawers left of my sewing area..then on top of my sewing desk I have the 3 small drawer stackable for needles, markers, thimbles etc. I pick up lots of containers at Goodwill also...love to go there...

I use a tool box with a tray insert and you can also get matchbox storage boxes to store threads and small items. A pegboard on your wall will with hooks and clear baggies will also help corral in plain view all those little items.

Blog Entries
    I keep a sewing machine at our beach house and I purchased a couple of boxes of Q-tips (in small plastic containers) and use the containers for machine parts. One of the boxes has my Sharpies, pens, pencils, chalk markers, etc. in it. They fit inside one of those deeper 12" scrapbooking boxes that had dividers already in it. All my miscellaneous sewing stuff is in that box - when I go to the community center to quilt with the ladies all I have to do is grab the machine, my project and that box and I have everything I need.

At home, I use all kinds of stuff to store things in but I like the containers I can see through or stand things up in the best.

Jewelry armoire. Hmmm. You're a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    Question on how you store all your small items, such as thimbles, markers, little screwdrivers, you know all those little things. Trying to organzie my sewing room and I am just at a lost as to how to organize them to make them useful but yet put them away when I am done. Any ideas?
    I went to the fishing supply department at Wal Mart and a young man there showed me some plastic boxes with hinged lids (not real hinges, plastic hinges). He said that was what his grandmother kept her sewing machine tools and "doodads" in. I bought several. They are just right for screw drivers, rippers, tape measures, all the things you mentioned and they are flat enough that two or more can stack in most machine drawers. They are much less expensive in the fishing department than in any other department in the store. froggyintexas

This is a link to what I am using ~

http://www.officemax.com/office-furn...FUFo4AodQllIVQ

I LOVE them. I have the ends with labels telling me what is in the them. And the best part if that individual box is locked closed. So even if the stand get upended or bumped for some reason, you just have to put the containers back in their appropriate spot - not all of the little pieces back in their little open drawer. And I cannot tell you how many times I have loved the locking lids.

There is another set of these where the boxes are a little larger (I always have a few of those boxes which led me to the 'cabinet' of them). I will probably be getting one of those next.
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

I buy tins at yard sales. I especially like the ones shaped like houses. I have many sizes. I keep thimbles in a small can and I have larger sizes for screwdrivers, etc. I have very large ones for buttons and smaller ones for snaps and hooks and eyes. I have them all labled and they are fun to see on the shelf.

I also use the small plastic 3 drawer units that can sit on my sewing table. They are about 14-15 inches tall. Keep scissors and rotary cutters in one drawer, pins and seam rippers in another and small plastic rulers (or templates) in one. I have a wooden spool rack for thread and keep bobbins in plastic bobbin cases.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Michael's has some scrapbooking storage that is ideal. It has slots for scissors, pens, a drawer. and 2 flat areas.

Saved me a lot of hassle, since it's the small stuff I misplace, including the container for the small stuff.

I found a plastic organizer with drawers at the local farm store. I think it is meant for storing nuts and bolts or tools. Love it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast