Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use a template with a rotary cutter? >

How do you use a template with a rotary cutter?

How do you use a template with a rotary cutter?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM

What type of templates are you talking about? Paper, 1/4" acryllic, or template plastic?

I have used sandpaper dots, glue stick, invisigrip all with success on the acryllic templates.

I am also fortunate that there is a plastics company here that will cut acryllic templates for me ... so I don't use paper or plastic template sheets.

For applique I have used freezer paper ... but I mostly do machine applique anyway.

No matter what type of template I use I use a rotary cutter as it is so much quicker and easier.

I also have a Third Hand - something like a square Brooklyn Revolver but it has a clamp that goes up and over and down in the center of the rotating base which then holds the template and material together while I cut. I love it. Just don't know if it is being made anymore or not.

ali
Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM

I put just a spritz of basting spray on the template. It sticks to the fabric and pulls away easily. I must admit, I don't let the project sit, I only do it if I can cut and peel right away. I don't know if time would make the paper stick too well to be peeled back.

The other thing is use freezer paper with the shiny side down and press it onto the fabric. You can buy freezer paper cut into 8 1/2 x 11 pieces so they feed through the printer.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
if i have a template, i tape it to the ruler and then place and cut... this includes one strip and multiple strips...for instance, when cutting the windmill...i sewed the 'blade' fabric in a strip to the 'sky' fabric and then marked the template with the line where they were sewn together.... tape face up (so you can see thru the ruler) to the ruler and then line up line with seam...cut and done....the 8 seam block just became a 4 seam block... love it!!!!
This fascinates me but I just can't visualize what you mean. Are you talking about using two rulers?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 PM

I purchased a weight. It is five inches tall by 3 inches wide and is a cylinder. I put it on the template and it keeps the fabric from moving. I also use it when cutting strips, etc., off the large pieces of fabric.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Does anybody draw around templates and cut out shapes with scissors anymore?
I DO!!!...still the ONLY way to get accurate cuts...if you don't have a die cutter that is!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

one thing you need to know is that your rotary cutter might be TOO big for the job...get a smaller one and try that..I prefer the 18mm one, it gets around tight corners and points much easier. I also just sand paper dots on the templates!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM

Spray a small amount of 505 spray on the back of the template and it will not move around on your fabric and can be used over and over without having to apply anymore.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Does anybody draw around templates and cut out shapes with scissors anymore?

Yup, do it all the time.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:27 PM

I too have been wondering the same thing. Here's a tutorial I just found. http://winnowings.blogspot.com/2011/...ecing-101.html
Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM

I photocopy my template onto freezer paper, iron it onto my fabric and cut it out with sissors. This just seems to work best for me.