Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How far apart can I MQ this batt?

Smile How far apart can I MQ this batt?

Hi. I am making a comforter--big strips--for my BF for Xmas (nothing like getting an early start, but that's how it goes!) I bought Mountain Mist medium loft polyester. It says I can MQ it up to 5 inches apart. Since this comforter is big (90" square) and I have basically NO time, I'd like to quilt it as little as possible--but obviously enough to hold.

Can I do straight line quilting five inches apart? Will that be sufficient, or do I need to do grid quilting too--so quilt a five-inch grid? Hope not, but...

Thanks much for your help!

Username

You do need to quilt the grid. It should be no further than 5 inches in any direction. If you just have quilting lines running down the quilt, the batt can shift up and down along that channel. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    Dunster is right you've got to do the grid.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

If you are doing quilt-as-you-go, you quilt it. Otherwise, I would suggest doing at least something so the squares are only 5". Go for it!

If worse comes to worse and you don't get it finished in time, wrap as is and finish it after. I've had to do that a couple of times. Sometimes it's worth not staying up all night to get things done.
    I agree with the grid idea. Good luck.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;