Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How far apart should hand quilting lines be? >

How far apart should hand quilting lines be?

How far apart should hand quilting lines be?

Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 AM

Question How far apart should hand quilting lines be?

I’m a beginner hand quilter and started quilting my first appliqué quilt. I’ve done one round of echoing around the shapes about 1/8” away and started the 2nd round about 1/4” from that one.

I’m now wondering if that’s too close together because I read somewhere that the lines shouldn’t be closer than 1/2” apart.
The appliqué shapes are quite small. The pattern I used is “Euphoria Tapestry Quilts” by Deborah Kemball.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:22 AM

You can quilt as close as you like the look of especially when echoing an appliqué, in my books. Just be aware that you should keep your quilting spaces fairly constant on a project to help it lay flat. And Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-22-2021, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Anina S View Post
I’m a beginner hand quilter and started quilting my first appliqué quilt. I’ve done one round of echoing around the shapes about 1/8” away and started the 2nd round about 1/4” from that one.

I’m now wondering if that’s too close together because I read somewhere that the lines shouldn’t be closer than 1/2” apart.
The appliqué shapes are quite small. The pattern I used is “Euphoria Tapestry Quilts” by Deborah Kemball.
1/4" is fine, especially since you're hand quilting. Looking at pictures from the book it seems like the author uses very dense quilting, so if you have the patience, go for it!

You say you're a beginner hand quilter, but I assume you're done appliqué before? That is an amazing quilt! I would love to see some pictures of your version.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:44 AM

Rule of thumb is however close you like the appearance to be. It's YOUR quilt. Do whatever you like. There are no steadfast rules in quilting. Welcome to the quilting board and happy quilting. Hand quilters are special people. I hand pieced and quilted one quilt. Working on an appliqué queen quilt but not sure how I will quilt it when it's finished.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 AM

I have done a fair amount of hand quilting and I would use a finger as my guide. So mine would be closer to 1/2" because that is the width of my finger. Now my hands are on the larger side. It just makes it easier for me to keep my stitching accurate.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:44 AM

As others have said it is your quilt, how do you want it to look. I do Hawaiian quilts/wall hangings and usually quilt 1/2" apart. Like juliasb I use my little finger as my guide to spacing, I tried drawing lines on my quilts but so much faster to use my finger as I go.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

The batting will say how close you need to quilt or what the furthest is. That said you can always do it more densily.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM

Default Thank you everyone!

I’m still frustrated and my bottom finger hurts, so I’m only sewing every 2nd day. 🙁
I feel like the needle goes through too far and I have to push it back up with my finger.
I’m sure it’s just practice though.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Anina S View Post
I’m still frustrated and my bottom finger hurts, so I’m only sewing every 2nd day. 🙁
I feel like the needle goes through too far and I have to push it back up with my finger.
I’m sure it’s just practice though.
I use a quarter taped (with painters tape) on my bottom thumb (not on the nail side). It extends about 1/4” beyond the tip of my thumb. I find this help. On my upper middle finger, I use a thimble. I like the pink silicone one with a metal tip. Something for you to try.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:05 AM

As everyone has said, it's your quilt! With that said, the batting (directions) will, minimally, determine your quilting density. Doing an entire quilt with 1/4" or 1/2" spacing is really quite dense for hand quilting. Not that that is wrong, just really time consuming!

I don't use anything on my bottom finger(s). I just live with the needle pricks/calluses that develop over the project. I do use a metal thimble on my middle upper/pushing finger. I also use a rubber finger cot (like they used to use in banks and such back in the day) on my upper index finger to help pull the needle/stitches through the top of the quilt.

I was told, or heard, that when hand quilting, you should just feel the tip of the needle break the fabric on the bottom and then go back up. Are you 'stab-stiching' - one stitch at a time or are you loading multiple stitches onto your needle to then pull through to the top? I typically load multiple stitches at a time except when going over thick seams. Doesn't stop the pricks on the bottom finger but it does help, I think.

Good luck. Remember - it's a process to enjoy. Not a race to the finish!