Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to fix bottom of "lunchbox" Singer base? >

How to fix bottom of "lunchbox" Singer base?

How to fix bottom of "lunchbox" Singer base?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
KLO

Just bought a Singer "lunchbox" machine that seems to work fine (shuttle bobbin type). Although I have not actually sewn anything on it yet, everything turns, goes up and down, and lights. My question is about the box itself. The base of the "lunchbox" was basically gone. We took the machine out of the base and the rest of the pieces fell out. The sides are still intact. My DH can make a new bottom easily enough but it looks like it was inset in some groves before the box sides were actually put together. Wondered if any of you DIYers would have any ideas on how to fix this properly? Have not looked up the serial number yet but will soon. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture of this for us? :D:D:D
Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 AM

I bought one and the same thing happened. I plan to try and fix mine also. It looks like mine has little dows that hold the case together. My DH seems to think it'll be easy enough to fix, should be able to get small enough dows at the hardware or maybe a craft store to use, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try yet. I'll be watching the posts for any and all tips you might get.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:48 AM
KLO

Amma, I am currently not able to post photos, sorry.

susanwilley, This morning my DH was able to tap/knock one of the long sides of the bottom frame off. You are absolutely correct. There are small dowels holding the sides together which he also thought. He said they were probably also glued but that has all dried up over time. Looks like it popped off cleanly. So he will mill a piece of wood for the bottom and slide it in then replace the long side. One of the small triangular pieces of wood that was in each of the corners of the bottom was missing and one was loose so he will make a new one then reattach both. That appears to be what holds the machine up in the correct, flat position so that it won't fall into the new bottom piece which is not made for supporting the machine at all. It just keeps the base sealed so dirt, dust, etc. don't get up into the bottom of the machine. So, I guess the $15.00 that I spent for this little machine was worth it!!! May have to check out the wiring a bit more thoroughly yet and clean it up good. DH loves to figure out how to fix something like this. Guess we both got pleasure from this purchase.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 AM

15.00 is an excellent price! Great! That is what I had thought. Maybe DH will be able to fix it. Hopefully. He isn't a carpenter so I hope it's as easy as I think it is. My needs wiring help too, that I think he can handle. Thanks for the info!