Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to fix a GFG stain...

How to fix a GFG stain...

Should I try copying the fabric? If so what should I use. Or should I do a transplant using similar fabric, and spread the "petals" around the flower? I reeeeeally don't want to replace the whole ring, because I don't have any of these multicolor prints on a white background. (Are those flour sacks?) And I did actually try to find some at Joann's, but no go. Google mavens, send a link my way if you have one.

Here's a pic of the ailing flower:
    Name:  20180527_134613.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  160.4 KB

And here's the possible petal donor:
    Name:  20180527_134658.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  105.4 KB
    What do you think?

Blog Entries
    It looks like blood to me. Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? Even tho it’s vintage, what do you have to lose. Your replacement can be used if it doesn’t remove the stain. Another alternative after that is to put blue Dawn on the spots and soak overnight in cold water. Always works for me with tablecloth stains. Good luck.

That looks bloody and hydrogen peroxide will take it out quickly.....don't ask me how I know so well....
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Hydrogen peroxide is very hard on fabric. I would try Z'out (inexpensive spray stain remover at Walmart). Years ago it successfully removed dried blood from a dress that would have been ruined otherwise. You could also try soaking in OxyClean. There is a soaking treatment that is made specifically for vintage items, but I can't remember the name offhand.

Here is a link to how hydrogen peroxide affected one of Leah Day's show quilts (scroll down to see end result):
    https://leahday.com/pages/duchess-wholecloth

Banned
    Stain Devil products are fantastic. Walmart carries them and I believe you can find the whole line of the products on Amazon. They make a remover for just about every type of stain you can think of and they work.

Cari

Yes, they look like feedsacks, at least to me they do.
    Is the second fabric a replacement? If so it's perfect!!!
    I hope I understood you correctly.

I agree with attempting to clean the stain first. RetroClean is good for vintage fabrics.

Well duh, do I feel dumb. I completely forgot about peroxide. At least I think I did. I did try to remove the stain, with no luck. Will attempt further.

I used to launder the church purifcators (napkins used for communion) that had red wine stains. I used a mixture of Dawn, and a chlorine-free beach powder. Rub it in and let it set for a while, then rinse. It worked every time.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    try some Restoration first--it will have you soak it (baste edges if this is just a flimsy) once or twice and then just spin out (don't agitate). It works wonders. also, Grandmother's Stain Remover is a good one for fabrics and even old stains. I've used both on an old quilt that had an unknown stain.

I soak everything in Restoration, usually overnight.

Try a paste with Blue Dawn, Baking Soda and Peroxide. It has works for me on everything my family has for me.