Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to hide my shame  from the quilt police >

how to hide my shame from the quilt police

how to hide my shame from the quilt police

Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 AM

First wallhanging I made FMQ was exactly like yours.....sewing with metallics..what a mess.
I put a false back on it and I don't feel bad about it at all. Granted I have not entered it in a show.
What I learned....sewers aid on my top and bottom thread and to slow down. FMQ is much better now.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 AM

Framing something that big would be very, very expensive (I work in the frame shop at a very-busy Michaels). One reason the framing is so expensive is that the framer SEWS the quilt to a mat that serves as the mounting board. You could do this part yourself - in and out of the same hole with transparent thread (poke holes first with a T-Pin and sew one stitch per inch around the outside. You will also have to take several stitches in the middle to keep it flat) Now it's mounted, saving about 100 dollars. If you decide to put no glass on it, the framing will be quite affordable.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
Some people that do alot of thread painting on quilts, put the top on the batt and stitch all the details. They put the back on later and just outline stitch the main designs. You don't even have to be careful of how far the quilting on the back is because the batting is anchored well with the thread painting. I think you could put a false back on your quilt, outline quilt the main parts to the front and put the binding on.
WOW! Dottij can't use this idea, but this is a great idea and i will store this in the back of my mind. I never thought of doing thread painting with just the batting underneith and then backing and outlining.

All the ideas here were really interesting! Good luck Dottij!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Framing something that big would be very, very expensive (I work in the frame shop at a very-busy Michaels). One reason the framing is so expensive is that the framer SEWS the quilt to a mat that serves as the mounting board. You could do this part yourself - in and out of the same hole with transparent thread (poke holes first with a T-Pin and sew one stitch per inch around the outside. You will also have to take several stitches in the middle to keep it flat) Now it's mounted, saving about 100 dollars. If you decide to put no glass on it, the framing will be quite affordable.
Thanks for this great idea also. I learn so much from all you gals!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by dottiej
THANK YOU FOR REPLY...
Its about 36" by 38"..Do you know if anyone on this board has ever framed a quilt..I did a search on hiding the back and found nothing...I am new to this board it is great..Im from Michigan..Dottiej
Just attach a sleeve to the top of the back and hang it on the wall. The wall won't care if there are birds nests back there. :roll: :lol:
Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 AM

My DH has framed several of my wall size quilts, without using glass. They've held up just fine. Sorry the pic isn't better.

OK..I tried to do an art quilt..got excited, got creative, got excited, thought I was Degas and Rembrant all in one..Thought i would enter it in a show..then I was done, I looked at the back..looks like it fell on a sticky floor at a messy thread factory..threads hanging, birds nests all over, scribbling meanders that were suppose to be circles..but are pointy thingys.....In my defense the front is wondeful an egret flying over wetland sunset...what do i do..can I frame it. can I put a false back on it?? can I put big squares or circles on the back with egrets stitched on..?? If anyone sees the back Ill be tossed out of the quilt world and forever shamed. help... Any ideas..Dottie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240953.jpe  
Old 08-13-2011, 03:47 AM

OK..I tried to do an art quilt..got excited, got creative, got excited, thought I was Degas and Rembrant all in one..Thought i would enter it in a show..then I was done, I looked at the back..looks like it fell on a sticky floor at a messy thread factory..threads hanging, birds nests all over, scribbling meanders that were suppose to be circles..but are pointy thingys.....In my defense the front is wondeful an egret flying over wetland sunset...what do i do..can I frame it. can I put a false back on it?? can I put big squares or circles on the back with egrets stitched on..?? If anyone sees the back Ill be tossed out of the quilt world and forever shamed. help... Any ideas..Dottie

Hang it on your wall and if the quilt police come to inspect, file a traspass charge against them with us!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 AM

i`ve framed quilts but quited them first just like a regular quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240958.bmp  
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 AM

THANK YOU FOR REPLY...
Its about 36" by 38"..Do you know if anyone on this board has ever framed a quilt..I did a search on hiding the back and found nothing...I am new to this board it is great..Im from Michigan..Dottiej

When my husband was still living, he would make me a frame to fit each wall quilt. They really looked great. Regretfully I can no longer do this. I have saved the frames though, in hopes that I will make other quilts that will fit them. Since then, I have made only bed quilts. Good luck with your dilema.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 AM

Framing a quilt actuslly increases the value of it.