Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important to Cover Machine? >

How Important to Cover Machine?

How Important to Cover Machine?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 PM

Howdy from Texas & welcome to the boards. You will learn a lot here as I've found very knowledgeable & helpful quilters on this board.

I never cover my machine but I would recommend you get a good surge protector for it if you don't have one already. Right now I don't have a surge protector so I always unplug my machine when I'm not using it. You never know when an electrical surge or storm will come up & ruin the inside of your computerized machine.

Last edited by osewme; 01-24-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 PM

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new machine.

I have never covered any of my sewing machines. To be honest, I never even though of it, even when I didn't sew everyday. Since I retired, I do sew everyday. It will be interesting to read what other quilters do, but I will stick with not covering mine.

Dina
Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Just recently at a retreat one of my machines went crazy sewing all by itself. Something inside burned, a capacitor. I removed it. But lesson learned that the machines should be unplugged when not used.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:25 PM

I have three machines out in the open in my sewing room and I do keep them covered. Two reasons really 1.) because where I live there is a lot of dust. ItS dry and dusty a lot of the year here. 2.). I do spray baste my quilts in that room. So even though I have not noticed any overspray, no reason to risk it. The machines came with covers, might as well use them.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 AM

I have made matching covers to put over the rigid covers that came with my machines, I put cover on when finished for the day and always unplug.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 AM

Welcome! I have covers for all my machines... new and vintage. It protects them from dust and encourages me to be tidy and respectful of my things. But then again.....all our motorbikes regardless that they are kept in a garage, are covered with blankets or doonas to protect their paintwork. Everything gets tucked up cosy at the end of each day!!!! OCD...me?, nah...well, maybe just a bit!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:31 AM

I've lived in different places, some where more dusty than others. In a dusty place, you sure do your machine some good to cover it! Where I live now, IMO a dust cover is not absolutely needed, but as I don't have a sewing room but use a corner of my dining area, I just feel it looks nice that way.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:37 AM

I don't cover my Janome 6600 because I'm on it just about every day but since I do not use my 8900 as often, I keep it covered when not in use.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I never cover mine. No matter how long I'm away from it. Doesn't seem to have hurt any of my machines.
I am in this camp. Still...a great question that I have wondered about.
sandy
Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I cover mine because I also do my hair in same room. The blow dryer blows loose hair all around no matter what. I also cut my hair in same room. I have couple covers. Just throwing a large piece of fabric works also. Covers are simple to make. If my 10 year old niece can do it you can to. Cute patterns every where.